Author Topic: new greenhouse misting/fogging setup  (Read 1407 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
new greenhouse misting/fogging setup
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »

I still need to finalize everything and secure it all into place but I have it connected and working.

Thanks to Spaugh who gave me all the necessary information to get going.  It all started with this thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26039.50;  I basically just duplicated his setup.  Total cost was about $600, $400 for the pump and $200 for fogger & plumbing bits.   My water is 190ppm TDS so I'm trying without any reverse-osmosis or phosphate filter and seeing how it goes.  I do have a 5micron particulate filter.

I'm waiting on my humidistat so right now I just have it switched on for the day as it is 90F and full sun today. 

It seems like a the fog is flying over the plants, though.  I'm wondering if I should reduce the ventilation fan speed when the fogger is running, it may all just be blowing right out. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:38:46 PM by brian »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: new greenhouse misting/fogging setup
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »
Yeah, I had to move my mister setup lower than my intake/exhaust fans because I was having the same problem. 
I would try to move the misters lower than the vents, or slow down the ventilation until you reach a mist/airflow balance, since the combination of the two is what really cools things down.

Carolyn

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 11:04:40 AM »
I run my exhaust fan slower with the mist.  I got one of the little fan speed adjuster 3 setting things on amazon for around 20$
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna try moving it around.  I'm waiting for a few more fittings to arrive.  Right now with six .008" nozzles my pump will go well over 1000psi if I don't regulate it.  So, I'll keep adding nozzles until it can just barely feed it at 1000psi.

Seems to be working well enough, but not spectacularly.  With the fogging on inside temp is about 95F when it would normally be 115F on a day like today (85F and full sun).  Humidity is 45% outside so it seems reasonable.  It should cool more with additional nozzles.  I left it on all day yesterday and it never got foggy or wet inside, I need to turn the fans down a bit.

I calculated it should cost me slightly over a dollar a day to run it 8hrs a day - 75 cents in water and 33 cents in electricity.  Thats a good deal in my opinion.   Soon I'll get to see if the nozzles start clogging

EDIT - I turned the fan speed down to quite low and now it is working beautifully.  Really pleasant inside and not wet at all. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:09:53 PM by brian »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »
OMG, your guys are so pro.  I don't have the skills and time to build one like that.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
They are using it to cool the green house, not to grow tree.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 05:24:49 PM »
I use Arizona mist system hooked up with sprinkler valve and sprinkler timer for my greenhouse;  running it for over 10 years and it works great.
Before mist host connection, I install Arizona calcium inhibitor filter which I change yearly so that the mist nozzles will no get clogged.
This system costs me under $100
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 05:28:09 PM by Lovetoplant »