Author Topic: Surinam cherry leaves turning red.  (Read 1899 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Surinam cherry leaves turning red.
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:33 AM »
We recently had some cold nights. Is the red tinge of the leaves due to some sort of cold shock?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Surinam cherry leaves turning red.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:32:39 AM »
I think so -- mine always turn red in the winter here in the bay area.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
yeah that's what they do in Winter after a cold spell no worries they will flush out new growth as weather warms.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
We recently had some cold nights. Is the red tinge of the leaves due to some sort of cold shock?

Yes, new leaves should be red too! it is a sign of a healthy plant. They do that to protect themselves from freezing, they can resist -7º C

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »

Yes, new leaves should be red too! it is a sign of a healthy plant. They do that to protect themselves from freezing, they can resist -7º C

My new flushes are red, the rest of the plant is dark green.
Brad Spaugh

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
Here is a 2' tall seedling that is planted on my hillside:

BEFORE FROST (picture taken 2/18/2018):

AFTER FROST (frost hit 2/20/2018):

PHOTO OF NEW FLUSH (different plant):

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
What part of San Diego do you live in?  I am just curious because your profile says 10B.  I think my house is offically 9B but we didn't get any frost.

Brad Spaugh

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
What part of San Diego do you live in?  I am just curious because your profile says 10B.  I think my house is offically 9B but we didn't get any frost.

Clairemont 92117 just above Marian Bear park (hillside overlooks Hwy 52 x Genesee)

...thanks for pointing this out, appears I am 10a per USDA... not sure if this changed in the last couple years?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:58:18 PM by PltdWorld »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »
Nice area, I always look at those houses along thet 52 and think how nice it looks up on that hill.  Is your yard looking north or south?

I wasn't trying to tell you your zone was incorrect or anything, I just find it interesting how everyone has different weather that doesnt always go according to the zones.  I think the zone systems are not that accurate in san diego because of all the hills and valleys.  The zone map itself it pretty interesting to look at also. 
Brad Spaugh

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
Nice area, I always look at those houses along thet 52 and think how nice it looks up on that hill.  Is your yard looking north or south?

I wasn't trying to tell you your zone was incorrect or anything, I just find it interesting how everyone has different weather that doesnt always go according to the zones.  I think the zone systems are not that accurate in san diego because of all the hills and valleys.  The zone map itself it pretty interesting to look at also.

Our back yard is somewhat of a "bowl" that faces North/Northwest.

I agree the USDA map doesn't take into consideration the micro-micro-climates... 92109 is lower lying and is listed as 10b but 92037 which has both hills and low-lying coast is listed as 10a.  In 92117, we had two hail storms over the course of the last 10 years and got frost this year and last.  Based on that, I updated my profile to 10a which is what the current USDA map says as well.