Author Topic: Rootstock for Femminello lemons.  (Read 1754 times)

piter601

• Poland
    • View Profile
Rootstock for Femminello lemons.
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
What rootstock would You recommand for Femminello lemons? Especially for Siracusano 2kr, Adamo VCR, Zagara Bianca, Cerza, Lunario... Is it true lemons are not compatible with citrumelo swingle, citrange troyer, carrizo?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Rootstock for Femminello lemons.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
I do not know about the compatibility of Single, Carrizo and Troyer with the Italian lemon varieties that you list, but I can tell you that Swingle, Carrizo and Troyer are incompatible with the Eureka lemon.    In the case of Carrizo and Troyer, although they are incompatible with Eureka Lemon, the are compatible with Lisbon lemons.  Therefore, there might or might not be an issue with various other lemon cultivars. If you find definite results to your question, please post it on this forum.

piter601

• Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
So what rootstock would be ok for femminellos? I mean just full compatibility... Volckamer, Sour orange, Rough lemon, Macrophylla??
What rootstock have you used for your Santa Teresa Millet??

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
C. Macrophylia, is the rootstock typically used commercially in California with lemons.    Lemons on Macrophylla typically have good to excellent yields during the first 10 to 15 years, often superior to those of trees on other rootstocks.  However, as trees age, they typically develop health problems and yields decrease. Years ago I purchased my New Zealand Lemonade tree from a local garden center, and do not know for sure what rootstock it is grafted upon, but it is probably on Mac.   

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:44:43 AM »
I have the following on a trifoliate sour orange: Lunario, Zagara Bianca, Carrubaro, Siracusano 2KR and Sfusato Amalfitano. A citrus expert in Italy told me Seville Orange was the best rootstock for Femminello lemons. Not sure if that’s true, but I figure he would know.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:03:41 AM by Kelley_GA8a »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
Sour orange is indeed a great root stock *if* your area does not have Tristeza virus (CTV).  Sour orange is highly susceptible to Tristeza.

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Agreed, Millet - thank you for the correction!

Kelley

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
In Italy several  tests have been performed in order  to set the best rootstock for lemons.
If you can find a way or a freind to translate italian for you have a look at this interesting study:
http://www.sardegnaagricoltura.it/documenti/14_43_20150519103754.pdf
In terms of compatibility and productivity C.  Macrophylla consistently gives the best results for all varieties you named.
Trees are more sensitive in terms of cold bursts so this should be considered.
C. Volkamericana gives less productivity but bigger fruit sizes. It is also more sensitive to Phytophtora problems in wet soils. But it tolerates calcareous and high salinity soils.
A lot  depends upon WHERE you want to grow your trees ;)

Lorenzo

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
What rootstock would You recommand for Femminello lemons? Especially for Siracusano 2kr, Adamo VCR, Zagara Bianca, Cerza, Lunario... Is it true lemons are not compatible with citrumelo swingle, citrange troyer, carrizo?

Not true, I use swingle for most all of my lemons & have never had a issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk