Author Topic: abiu with brown leaf tip  (Read 4823 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
abiu with brown leaf tip
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know what causes abiu to get brown leaf tips? I have checked the soil often and it's never dried out so it cannot be because of too little water. And it cannot be sun burn either because they still grow in the shade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tomas

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: abiu with brown leaf tip
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »
rain water or tap? What soil mix?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
Tomas it looks like salt burn/chlorine burn like what you get with too much fertilizer or chlorine in the water or chloride in fertilizer.Some species show leaf tip burn very easily with inorganic fertilizers.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies! I use the same soil mix as I have used for years and this is something new with the brown leaf tip. When I think about it, I ran out of rainwater a few weeks ago. It must be that pesky chlorine in the water even though I let the city water sit for 24 hours. I guess abiu must be very sensitive to chlorine. Now I have to get water from my reverse osmosis system instead which is my last resort because it takes forever to get a gallon of water from it.

Tomas

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
Tomas salt burn can look the same.Pulasan and rambutan are very prone to tip burn also.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
Where are these being kept?
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »
I have Abiu seedlings, that have no issue with tip burn. They are grown in shaded area and I use tap water, however they are adapted to the use of tap water ever since they sprouted.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
Tomas salt burn can look the same.Pulasan and rambutan are very prone to tip burn also.
I specifically asked Chris Rollins about this once and he said to protect abius from salt and salt spray.
Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »
My abius get watered from mother nature and the hose, Palm Beach County municipal water.  I do not have this problem from watering.  What I have seen as a problem with mine over last winter was the "cold", at least by SFla standards (Tomas - this is why I asked you where they are being kept).  I know it wasnt terribly cold over the last week but we did get a couple nights in the low 50s and I am sure in some pockets it was down near 50.

I brought my abiu and champedak seedlings into the screened in porch for protection.  I left my bigger abiu outside.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:17:31 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Tomas
It's wind burn from the recent storms. Many of my trees have this including Abiu. We had heavy winds and gusts to 50mph from Sandy for almost a week. The leaves dessicate. They will come back no problem
FGM 
FloridaGreenMan

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Wind burn? I have never heard about that.  Is it because of the wind itself or because of wind-borne salt? My abiu plants are placed in a corner between 2 walls but it's not good protection from high gusts

Tomas.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
http://www.perlite.info/hbk/0101001.htm
I have seen wind damage to my abiu trees and in a plantation that had 150mph wind and it didn't look like that.I have caused problems like that by applying citrus blend fertilizer too generously and that would be fertilizer salts and chlorides rather straight salt or chlorine.It is temping tp point an accusing finger at calcium but it doesn't look right.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »
it most likely a combo of wind, winter chill (dry air) and possibly switching to tap water.  maybe there was a slight shock?

I water mine with horrible city water, and they hold up fine.  No brown leaves.  the plants in limestone at fruit and spice park looked fine.

abius doesn't like wind and dry cold air!!    maybe your plants were sheltered until recently ?

they'll be fine!!!

don't worry too much.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com