Author Topic: Where is the hype for the other Mango Varieties?  (Read 3238 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Where is the hype for the other Mango Varieties?
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »
We all hear about Zill Mangos which is well warranted as the Zill's have a Catalogue of God tier level Varieties.

What about the other Cultivars being released or released recently in the last few years? I mean Dr. Cambell has numerous of Mangos for sale that I've never even heard mentioned here... I wanted to try a few, but the price of boxes is to much to gamble on a blind buy.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the hype for the other Mango Varieties?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
We all hear about Zill Mangos which is well warranted as the Zill's have a Catalogue of God tier level Varieties.

What about the other Cultivars being released or released recently in the last few years? I mean Dr. Cambell has numerous of Mangos for sale that I've never even heard mentioned here... I wanted to try a few, but the price of boxes is to much to gamble on a blind buy.

Dr. Campbell is a nice guy and lives very close to me, but his new varieties are subpar at best when compared to Zill. They mainly have the spicy flavor similar to a Bombay or Julie, which I’m not a big fan of. He has one called Emerald and another called Cairo that my friend quite likes. But the problem with his mangos is that he picks them WAY too early. Some mangos we’ve gotten took several weeks to ripen or didn’t ripen at all. I’ve since switched to buying my mangos from Pine Island Nursery instead

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »
There was some mention of other excellent tasting varieties such as Kryptonite but I believe very few people have sampled the fruit so we don’t hear much about it. If the other varieties are good to excellent tasting, I’m sure we will hear more about them in the future. Some of the other varieties may also be proprietary so bud wood may not be shared so Fruit will come from only a few sources. Of course this is just me speculating.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:05:52 PM »
In selecting a new mango cultivar, there are a number of selection criteria that one uses to arrive at a top pick (in no particular order):
  • Disease resistance
  • Production (and crop consistency)
  • Compact growth habit / ease of maintenance
  • Flavor, texture, and scent
  • (other characteristics that are important to commercial producers -- such as shelf life, size, color, etc)
The problem is that finding a mango with high marks in all of the above is akin to finding a spouse who is strikingly attractive, genius-level smart, never gets mad nor complains, earns a 7-figure salary, never falls ill nor never gets fat, and will live to be 120 -- such a person likely does not exist.

So one will select based on the subset of criteria that they consider most important. Dr Richard Campbell tends to focus on disease resistance, production, and maintainability over flavor, where Gary Zill puts a little more emphasis on flavor. So, the mangoes that each promotes are a reflection of this.

I consider flavor and texture to be a non-negotiable trait and will gladly trade a little less production and disease resistance to get it. The majority of my mango trees are therefore Zill selections :D.
Jeff  :-)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 04:26:07 AM »

Which varieties are you aware of that have gone unmentioned?  The good news with Zill mangoes, they meet or beat the hype.  I did have Dr. C's Nectar of Neptune earlier and it was the best of an amazingly poor bunch.  I need to get them properly picked, absent rain washout to comment fairly. 

The only Zill mango I can think of that falls well short of the hype has been Fruit Punch.  They were amazingly unique in 2015 but every year since...no punch to the fruit.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »
In selecting a new mango cultivar, there are a number of selection criteria that one uses to arrive at a top pick (in no particular order):
  • Disease resistance
  • Production (and crop consistency)
  • Compact growth habit / ease of maintenance
  • Flavor, texture, and scent
  • (other characteristics that are important to commercial producers -- such as shelf life, size, color, etc)
The problem is that finding a mango with high marks in all of the above is akin to finding a spouse who is strikingly attractive, genius-level smart, never gets mad nor complains, earns a 7-figure salary, never falls ill nor never gets fat, and will live to be 120 -- such a person likely does not exist.

So one will select based on the subset of criteria that they consider most important. Dr Richard Campbell tends to focus on disease resistance, production, and maintainability over flavor, where Gary Zill puts a little more emphasis on flavor. So, the mangoes that each promotes are a reflection of this.

I consider flavor and texture to be a non-negotiable trait and will gladly trade a little less production and disease resistance to get it. The majority of my mango trees are therefore Zill selections :D.

When you taste a mouth popping ultra sweet sour patch kids Mango with coco cola fizz fusion blended called Sweet Tart... I would take 10 mango production over something that was prolific!!!!!! Thank the Mango Gods for Zill!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
Which varieties are you aware of that have gone unmentioned?  The good news with Zill mangoes, they meet or beat the hype.  I did have Dr. C's Nectar of Neptune earlier and it was the best of an amazingly poor bunch.  I need to get them properly picked, absent rain washout to comment fairly. 

The only Zill mango I can think of that falls well short of the hype has been Fruit Punch.  They were amazingly unique in 2015 but every year since...no punch to the fruit.

Over ripe fruit punch taste and smells like rotten garbage. Most of the mangoes needs to eat at the right stage to taste the full flavor. This year most of the mangoes sweetness is washed out in rain.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:21:04 AM by MANGOJOY »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
I don't follow hype....I eat and try them all!!! Then have planted what I find to be most agreeable to my taste buds. With that said most of my favorites are Zill varieties.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
Totally agree. On both counts. Brix has been low on all mangoes this year.

Most of the mangoes needs to eat at the right stage to taste the full flavor. This year most of the mangoes sweetness is washed out in rain.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
You had me thinking my wife met every criteria of perfection until "never gets mad nor complains". Any event, I can agree with the mangos this year not living up to the hype. Fruit Punch definitely was on that list for me as well. It has been raining gallons around Florida so that is definitely a factor. Central down South to Redland. I travel a bit to both areas and I agree. Cooler past winter provided earlier bumper crops which exposed them to the early summer rains... May be those Rosigold trees got the last laugh this year..
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
Brix levels are so overrated and misunderstood! a waste of time unless you have nothing better to do!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
Most people I've met can discern a mango that is sweet from one that is not :D. Brix levels are extremely important and often the difference between a fruit perceived as excellent and one perceived as not. Brix is not 100% accurate in measuring sugar levels, but it's close enough to be a valuable metric.

Obviously, sweetness is just one component of flavor. However, when it's lacking, flavor is going to be perceived as sub par -- at least among those who have a discerning palate.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 01:45:35 PM »
I completely agree with Cookiemonster,

Also, by knowing Brix levels, you can deduce that a fruit was not optimal either due to rain, improper fertilization or perhaps the tree was too young. By knowing the optimal Brix levels for any given variety, you can adjust your fertilization or harvesting schedule accordingly.

Commercial groves use Brix readings to determine when Fruit should be picked.

It is true that Brix readings can be misinterpreted. A high Brix reading does not necessarily mean a piece of fruit will taste good because taste also depends on acidity, how it smells and for many people how it looks. Having said this, for any given variety, let’s take Lemon Zest for instance, a LZ with a Brix reading of 25% would in most instances be peferred over a LZ with an 18% Brix reading.

I believe some people are also not properly using their refractometer by forgetting to calibrate it or by squeezing juice that has too much pulp in it which will give a false high reading.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
:D I hear ya

You had me thinking my wife met every criteria of perfection until "never gets mad nor complains".

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »

It actually runs even deeper.  Find such a person and in time, almost every aspect will either change or be perceived differently.  Ask anyone with unlimited access to top tier mangoes and many will be tired of them by season's end.  While clearly some mangoes have major differences from others, too few realize "what is (in their own) inside, manifests on the outside". No amount or quality of things permanently substitutes for inner satisfaction.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
I guess that’s why they say Variety is the spice of life. Mixing things up definitely prevents fruit burn out. Absence also makes the heart grow fond. The longer I have not eaten a fruit, the more I crave it.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
agree 100%

It actually runs even deeper.  Find such a person and in time, almost every aspect will either change or be perceived differently.  Ask anyone with unlimited access to top tier mangoes and many will be tired of them by season's end.  While clearly some mangoes have major differences from others, too few realize "what is (in their own) inside, manifests on the outside". No amount or quality of things permanently substitutes for inner satisfaction.