Author Topic: Considering replacing Angie mango  (Read 24876 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Considering replacing Angie mango
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Sounds great wgphil - sent you a pm.

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Don't cut Angie down just yet! All the ones from my tree had a strange fermented taste this year until today. I finally had one that was very good. Also the exteriors have all been very clean growing in Miami limestone soil.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:39 PM »
Don't cut Angie down just yet! All the ones from my tree had a strange fermented taste this year until today. I finally had one that was very good. Also the exteriors have all been very clean growing in Miami limestone soil.

More testimony that in some young trees the second half of the harvest can be better than the first half
We will mark you down in the "no chop" column

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Or more support that the Angie is just plain and simple inconsistent.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
Or more support that the Angie is just plain and simple inconsistent.

Not all Angies are created equal. Not all Hadens, Lemon Zests or any mango tree you buy. Maybe its the root system it developed in the pot. Probably a bunch of factors. Maybe its the fertilizer and water it was fed when it was a one gallon size.

Also probable that some mango varieties have high consistency in the 3 gallon tree you buy at the nursery while some are more vulnerable to being good, medium or poor quality

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
I disagree with that comment.  I have had Lemon Zests grown at a number of locations and over many years, it is very consistent.

The Angies i have sampled have been all over the board in terms of taste and disease resistance. Growing location can have minor subtleties but bottom line, its an Angie and it should not show what i would consider large differences in taste and quality.  What fertilizer it was given in a 1 gal pot will not influence its taste. ???  ::)

note: edited to correct android spelling errors
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:05:32 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
I agree that they are inconsistent.  The last few I pulled of of my tree ( ate one just now) were truly excellent.  At Harrys last weekend, one of my Angies was pushing for 1st place.   That being said, a good number of my earlier fruit this year were so-so and in no way any competition for my LZ, CC, Mallika, or J12.  Add to that, I have had Angie's from Harry's place that were excellent, and a few that were just plain awful.

Maybe consistency will come with maturity.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
I took a look at your property on google.  If that is your Angie next to the fence, look on the other side. That yard has a very nice blooming crepe myrtle touching roots with your mango.  Looks like some kind of bloom builder as it is full of blooms.   If that was applied while your fruit were on...

I think you are getting too much fertilizer with fruit on.  Others that are better at mango cultivation know more about that.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
I took a look at your property on google.  If that is your Angie next to the fence, look on the other side. That yard has a very nice blooming crepe myrtle touching roots with your mango.  Looks like some kind of bloom builder as it is full of blooms.   If that was applied while your fruit were on...

I think you are getting too much fertilizer with fruit on.  Others that are better at mango cultivation know more about that.   

Crape Myrtles do not need any bloom booster for them to bloom profusely.  They do fine on their own without any assistance.  In addition, there are very few people in the scope of the population taht would even know you can purchase such a "fertilizer".
- Rob

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
Very interesting hearing others' experiences of Angie being inconsistent. Does help to know it isn't just me. A few more fruit hanging on the tree, but so far, taste continues to be off.

wgphil, the mango tree that is closest to the crepe myrtle is actually my Cogshall, which is fruiting well this season. The Angie's roots likely do extend out into the lawn past the borders of the bed they are in. So I expect that it does get some fertilizer intended for the lawn. But my understanding was that excess fertilizer could cause more vegetative growth than is optimal, rather than impacting fruit flavor. Folks care to weigh in on the extent to which extra fertilizer can impact flavor? Doesn't seem to be a problem with any of my other 3 trees that are in similar situations, but maybe some varieties are more sensitive?

zands, if the treatment the tree got when it was young can impact its later flavor characteristics, does that mean if I were to topwork this tree that those factors would continue to negatively effect the new variety I topwork on? FWIW, I bought the tree from Fairchild the year they released them, so I would hope they know how to treat their nursery stock well.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:44 PM »
And tasting for a replacement begins...thanks to squams excellent mail order service, I was able to obtain a Maha Chanok, Venus and Fairchild to taste. First to ripen for tasting - the Maha Chanok...well the Angie has just had its death sentence I think! I let my husband have the first taste, and he made a hilarious face and proclaimed  "holy moly that's the sweetest mango I've ever tasted! Starts kind of coconutty and tart and then explodes with sweetness!" - I was most amused watching him. What did I think? One of the best mangos I've ever had! Very complex flavor, incredible sweetness near the skin, a good balance of sweet and subacid, flesh was firm and smooth with no fiber or mushiness - just outstanding! Not sure I taste cola syrup exactly, but do understand the comparison. There was absolutely no resinous or bitter flavor.  I thought the cut skin had a slightly piney scent, but there was no pine in the flavor. There is a distinctive scent to the fruit overall not unpleasant, fruity with a hint of earthiness, hard to pin down, and mostly stood out to me as smelling different than it tasted. Here's a pic of the fruit

And the inside

Can't see how either of the other varieties I have yet to taste will be able to top this! I think I've found a winner for my palate! If anyone would be willing to provide me with budwood, please send me a pm.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Next up - Venus.

This one was interesting to experience, but not a favorite.  It had a very sour smell before cutting, so hard for me to tell when perfectly ripe, it was slightly past peak I think, but not by much. Flavor is quite variable, from piece to piece. Some chalky spots by the stem, and one bite in the middle had a fizzy bit. There was a musky scent to it I didn't like. The flavor was very sweet, in some places kind of like juicy fruit, and in others like the heavy syrup canned peaches come in. Overall, interesting, but not one I want to plant.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
zands, if the treatment the tree got when it was young can impact its later flavor characteristics, does that mean if I were to topwork this tree that those factors would continue to negatively effect the new variety I topwork on? FWIW, I bought the tree from Fairchild the year they released them, so I would hope they know how to treat their nursery stock well.

Being treated optimally when small and young (even one gallon size) will help later as far as vitality and strength. Should help it taste good. If the tree looks strong (vitality) and your only problem is the fruit then top working would be OK. Just my opinion.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
And tasting for a replacement begins...thanks to squams excellent mail order service, I was able to obtain a Maha Chanok, Venus and Fairchild to taste. First to ripen for tasting - the Maha Chanok...well the Angie has just had its death sentence I think! I let my husband have the first taste, and he made a hilarious face and proclaimed  "holy moly that's the sweetest mango I've ever tasted! Starts kind of coconutty and tart and then explodes with sweetness!" - I was most amused watching him. What did I think? One of the best mangos I've ever had! Very complex flavor, incredible sweetness near the skin, a good balance of sweet and subacid, flesh was firm and smooth with no fiber or mushiness - just outstanding! Not sure I taste cola syrup exactly, but do understand the comparison. There was absolutely no resinous or bitter flavor.  I thought the cut skin had a slightly piney scent, but there was no pine in the flavor. There is a distinctive scent to the fruit overall not unpleasant, fruity with a hint of earthiness, hard to pin down, and mostly stood out to me as smelling different than it tasted. Here's a pic of the fruit

And the inside

That is one ugly MC!  Thankfully it was tasty.

Can't see how either of the other varieties I have yet to taste will be able to top this! I think I've found a winner for my palate! If anyone would be willing to provide me with budwood, please send me a pm.

That is one ugly MC!  Thankfully it was tasty.

JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »
That Venus was overripe. By your description something was off.  Any mango with that "fizz" should be chucked.

Even the Mahachanok has the looks of being a little overripe. Color should be more uniform and kacking any translucency.

JC - as long as you dont let them get too ripe, post a picture of the in s ide of those beauties.

- Rob

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Zands, thanks for the input! The tree seems quite healthy - here's a pic. Started flushing growth last week that all looks very healthy.

Jc - those are some beautiful fruit! The one I had was ugly, but it was one of the very last ones squam had for the season, so I was happy to have it. As a test fruit, knowing it still tastes awesome despite external blemishes I see as a plus. If you think this side is ugly, you might be horrified by the other side - lol.

Rob, thanks for the input on the ripeness state. I agree, the fizz is a sign of fermentation. With the MC it was hard to tell when it was optimal, I'm still learning that skill. But a point in its favor for me - I know that even if slightly overripe, it still tastes great! I've read that people like them mature green too, so does seems to fit my criteria of not having a wide range of ripeness where it tasted good.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07:02 AM »
That maha was grown in loxahatchee groves. Not uncommon for the fruit to look hideous there

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

Now that is about as ugly a Maha I have ever seen.  Yes, the good news is that the interior of the fruit does outlast the exterior. I assume this is a non-sprayed fruit? I don't spray but even my most blemished Mahas are not quite this blemished.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
haha for once I agree with rob :-). Both mangoes looked overripe. Don't give up on venus until you've tried a few. It's a fantastic mango.

That Venus was overripe. By your description something was off.  Any mango with that "fizz" should be chucked.

Even the Mahachanok has the looks of being a little overripe. Color should be more uniform and kacking any translucency.

JC - as long as you dont let them get too ripe, post a picture of the in s ide of those beauties.
Jeff  :-)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
We bought our first Maha from Alex earlier in the season and it looked just like that.   It also is the only one I didn't share with the girlfriend.   I started to, but ran out of mango before I realized it was gone.   Very good mango. 

The Angie we bought from him were perfect.   The ones we bought at the fruit and spice park were nasty. 

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »
Thanks for chiming in on the growing location squam - hope you didn't mind me posting a picture of your fruit. I appreciate you sending me one of your last ones, and I wasn't bothered by its appearance at all. If a variety can produce excellent flavor even on the individual fruits that are ugly, I think that's pretty awesome. Also, I should comment that any overripeness in the fruits I tried is due to my own lack of skill - not squam's fruit. I have a hard time telling the optimal time to cut into a new variety I haven't had before.  I did a better job of guessing when to open the second Maha that squam sent. Appearance on the outside was similar, and amazingly, flavor was even better being a bit less ripe - a feat I didn't think was possible really, as that first one was excellent tasting! No pics of the second one, as I was too busy devouring it=) The second one I thought smelled like jackfruit a bit. A very unique fragrance, nice, but hard to pin down to a likeness. Still have a fairchild to taste, but am leaning strongly towards the Maha as my variety replacement...it is now one of my new mango favorites=)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
Tasting Fairchild

I had had one in a previous year and was unimpressed, but this one was great! It doesn't have special flavors, but is a wonderful all mango flavor which every bite consistently good. If you want a plain mango of good quality, this is a good choice. I considered it, but decided I'd rather go for the Maha's more unique flavor - so I'll be topworking my tree with it.

The Angie has finished fruiting, and the late seasons fruits were slightly better, but still not good to my tastebuds.  Now I have an excuse to  do some grafting:)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm conflicted when it comes to replacing my Angie.  The tree is looking so damn healthy.  I guess I'll give it another year to see if the fruit improves in flavor.  The Neelam, however, that one's got to go!  I think I'll add a Mahachanok and also something for the late season.
John

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »
What was the flavor of your Angie's like John? We're some better than others in your tree?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
What was the flavor of your Angie's like John? We're some better than others in your tree?

They seem to have gotten progressively better as the season wore on.  Also, I had one forum member who had tasted some very good Angies taste one of mine, and he said its flavor was "washed out" in comparison.  So I think mine have the potential to improve in the next few years.  I just want them to be sweeter with less off-flavor near the skin and maybe more fully colored on the tree.  We'll see!  It's not a bad mango so far, just not top-five.
John