Author Topic: Grand list of wants for the garden  (Read 3035 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Grand list of wants for the garden
« on: December 04, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
This may not really be the best section to post such a thread into but I figure it's the most active spot on the forum to get eyes on it.

I'm feeling the need to gather up what I can before anything happens that might inhibit the ability to obtain things. On a side note is anyone else feeling the urgency that something to the effect of a shtf scenario is not far around the corner?

Anyways looking to buy or trade for the following
zone 8-9 hardy species or varieties unless it's an annual species or whatever:

Peaches, nectarines, plums(wild types, grafted trees, mostly true to type varieties seedlings, etc)
Medlar
Heartnut
Duckweed both large and small types
Cold hardy Myrtle family plants with edible fruit
Mitchella repens
Mesquite
Salad burnet
Watercress
Common milkweed
Pansy flower
Horehound
White sage
Rhubarb
Artichoke
Cardoon
Egyptian spinach
Jicama
Boneset
Tomatillo(purple kind if possible)
Melothria pendula
Culantro
Lovage
Water caltrop
Good King Henry
Valerian
Rhodiola
Astraligus
Mullein
Various plantain herb species
Rattlesnake plantain
Grape Mahonia aka Oregon grape
Chinese toon leaf
Pistachio
Pomegranate varieties
Basswood aka liden tree
Oca and other Andean tuber crops
Tuberous nasturtium
Salsify
Queen Anne's lace or wild carrot
Yarrow
Rose of Sharon
Marshmallow
All-in-one almond
Pecans
Hazelnut
Chinquapin
Improved oaks for quality edible acorns
Quality opuntia fruiting varieties
Native pawpaw and/or good varieties
Cold hardy edible fruiting palms
The most cold hardy avocado types
Quality loquats
Fennel
Anise
Licorice
Hyssop
Anise hyssop
Skullcap
Lemon thyme
Lemon catnip
Lemon verbena
Sweet Cicely
American Chestnut
Cold hardy citrus
Che fruit
Japanese raisin tree
Apples/pears/Asian pears for this area(8b-ish)
White mulberry and other large fruiting sweet varities
Any quality nut trees not mentioned above(butternut, hickory, etc)
Perennial brassicas
Physalis peruviana seeds
Perennial and or wild edible alliums
Perennial, uncommon, culinary, annual, medicinal herbs
Heirloom, perennial, annual, landrace, open pollinated, non GMO veggies
Hybrid stone fruits such as aprium or plumcot
Hardy fruiting passifloras
Quality persimmon varieties
Roses for edible Rose hips production
Hawthorn
Cherries for this zone(want good quality types but also wild types)
Berries of all types including brambles, blueberries and relatives, gooseberry, solanum species, Juneberry, honeyberry, currants, highbush cranberry, aronia, elder, etc - basically any kind you think might grow well here)
Quince
Dioscorea edible species
Hardy tuber crops
Sweet potato varieties
Taro/malanga varieties
Sizable Pine nut types that might grow here
Vigorous squash or melon varieties(like Seminole pumpkin or vine peach)
Tupelo
Neem
Tea tree
Pollinator attractors(such as chaste tree, bottlebrush, etc)
Biomass and nutrition accumulaters
Exotic unusual hardy edible species of any classifications
True damiana
Black goji
Prolific native fruits of any sort with decent to good fruit quality
Plants that make strong dark natural dyes especially if the coloring is also food safe
Amaranth varieties
Jobs tears
Non GMO grain corn varieties
Prolific peppers hot or not hot
Heat tolerant slow bolt lettuce varieties
Veggies that can be grown in the zone 8ish area that are hardy enough to not be effected by direct frosts
Water celery
Fish mint
Other aquatic edibles veggie or herb
Edible fiddlehead ferns that may grow here
Mayhaw
True Wasabi
Horseradish
Chicory
Burdock
Feverfew
Zinnias
Calendula
Edible varieties of often used for ornamental purposes such as day lily, begonias, pepperomia, dalhia, tiger lily, hostas, etc
Cold hardy guava family members
Cold hardy edible fruiting banana varieties
Hardy kiwi types
Muscadine or other disease resistant grape varieties
Southern sugar maple (Acer barbatum var. floridanum)
Colonized edible/medicinal mushroom plugs
Might possibly buy dried edible/medicinal homegrown or wildcrafted herbs, fruits, tobacco(pesticides free), mushrooms etc make offers
Bitter variety calea zacatechichi
Other useful permaculture based plant species
Composting worms(really need to get this going)

This is by no means a complete list. This was all I could think of off the top of my head in a few mins. Make offers and also ask what I may have for trade. Will buy too as trades aren't totally necessary. What do you have that's cool, rare, edible, medicinal, useful, etc? Definitely make suggestions if you thought of something not listed here.

Thanks for your help! DG

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:33:37 AM by D-Grower »
Trying to grow it all!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grand list of wants for the garden
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:00:32 PM »
Lemon verbena, have plant need to root cuttings

Perennial brassicas, have grex mix of perennial kales. Have about 40 seedlings evaluating now.

Physalis peruviana have many small seedling also larger producing seedling now.

Perennial alliums, egyptian walking onion. Potato onion, French perennial shallots.

Hardy fruiting passifloras, kentucky large fruit selection maypop

Vigorous squash or melon varieties(like Seminole pumpkin or vine peach)
Seminole x Butternut. Growing fruits right now, looks like a short lived perennial.

Edible varieties of often used for ornamental purposes such as day lily, begonias, pepperomia, dalhia, tiger lily, hostas, etc.

Have Dahlia coccinea many seedlings from cultivarible tuber selected mix.

Calendula have a resin selection. I need to germinate seeds.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
Definitely interested in some of what you have. Definitely would be more interested in rooted cuttings and such right now. Due to time of year for rooting most species is more difficult.
Trying to grow it all!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »
Definitely interested in some of what you have. Definitely would be more interested in rooted cuttings and such right now. Due to time of year for rooting most species is more difficult.

I take some cuttings of lemon verbana, the dahlia already small tuberized taproots.Passiflora I need to push further growth in spring to root any cuttings.

Seminole x Butternut I have rooted segments, not sure best time to ship if you have risk of frost. Temps have not dropped below 40f, I am not sure if seminole x butternut would reemerge after frost dieback from a taproot yet. Its still flowering and fruits are growing, just slowed down a bit. Crossing fingers for some continued high pressure moving in and low 80s for Socal for parts of the winter.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »
Regular Seminole pumpkin will not survive the winters here unprotected. Butternut assuredly would not either. Not sure how the hybrid would do but considering both parents cannot handle themselves I would think not. On a side note deer seem to find the rambling Seminole pumpkin vines a choice food. Had some really nice vines going this season that were eaten back completely in one night. Was rather pissed off since I needed new seeds but I otherwise like the deer being around. Hopefully next spring the seeds I have will still be viable.

How's the dalhia tubers of that species if you've tried them? Having a real hardy time sourcing ones that are considered as edible. I figure all are somewhat edible but I'd like the choice edible types. Hear the heirloom one called "yellow gem" is a good one but cannot find it anywhere. The tree dalhia wanderlust nursery is selling I think is edible if that were the variety they sent to Jared the wierd fruit explorer guy. Possibly buy that eventually when available.

Have found the standard orange day lily that is edible but as for any other confirmed edible type I'm not finding any. Wouldn't mind the Asian yellow edible types if I can find them. One person said they've eaten lots of the ones that are sold normally as ornamental species and never had a bad effect from any of them. However Eat The Weeds says don't eat any that aren't known as edible explicitly. Found one confirmed edible hosta variety on eBay. Seller had pics of them cooking it for food. Said that they were slightly bitter but otherwise a good edible. Don't mind a bit of bitter myself so that's all good. Cannot find any edible tiger lily varieties. There's many selling what seem to be the right types on eBay and such but nobody says anything about eating them which I'd prefer to see at the least. Tried checking my local Asian markets but nothing to that effect so far.

Let me know if or when you are ready to send some stuff.
Trying to grow it all!

triphala

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
Few canistel seeds available to trade for any of the above. Came from a large quality fruit. Let me know if your interested in these.
Trying to grow it all!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:59:03 PM by johnb51 »
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
Regular Seminole pumpkin will not survive the winters here unprotected. Butternut assuredly would not either. Not sure how the hybrid would do but considering both parents cannot handle themselves I would think not. On a side note deer seem to find the rambling Seminole pumpkin vines a choice food. Had some really nice vines going this season that were eaten back completely in one night. Was rather pissed off since I needed new seeds but I otherwise like the deer being around. Hopefully next spring the seeds I have will still be viable.

How's the dalhia tubers of that species if you've tried them? Having a real hardy time sourcing ones that are considered as edible. I figure all are somewhat edible but I'd like the choice edible types. Hear the heirloom one called "yellow gem" is a good one but cannot find it anywhere. The tree dalhia wanderlust nursery is selling I think is edible if that were the variety they sent to Jared the wierd fruit explorer guy. Possibly buy that eventually when available.

Have found the standard orange day lily that is edible but as for any other confirmed edible type I'm not finding any. Wouldn't mind the Asian yellow edible types if I can find them. One person said they've eaten lots of the ones that are sold normally as ornamental species and never had a bad effect from any of them. However Eat The Weeds says don't eat any that aren't known as edible explicitly. Found one confirmed edible hosta variety on eBay. Seller had pics of them cooking it for food. Said that they were slightly bitter but otherwise a good edible. Don't mind a bit of bitter myself so that's all good. Cannot find any edible tiger lily varieties. There's many selling what seem to be the right types on eBay and such but nobody says anything about eating them which I'd prefer to see at the least. Tried checking my local Asian markets but nothing to that effect so far.

Let me know if or when you are ready to send some stuff.

The edible dahlia were grown from seed from Cultivarible https://www.cultivariable.com/product/everything-else/dahlia-coccinea-seeds/ , I also sprouted some https://www.cultivariable.com/product/everything-else/dahlia-kaiser-wilhelm/ . I am evaluating and going to be culling out the weak or bad tasting dahlias into the next year.

I am more focused on the potato TPS, I have hundreds of TPS potato seedlings going right now and will be doing the same culling out and selecting for best tasting and highest yield in container culture. I grow the potatoes in 10 to 50 gal grow bags, yields so far in pure coir with nutrients added in on watering seem to be encouraging. Harvesting is really easy just dump over the grow bag onto a tarp and smooth out the coir pick up the potatoes. Then replant the smaller tubers and left over plant back into the grow bag adding some fresh compost.

If you are preparing for a SHTF situation, you going to want potato TPS. I will be selecting seedlings adapted to climate, disease, and pest pressures. Sweet potato and true yams as well.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
Definitely would take some of your dalhias if you got extras. Especially if you have determined some that are good edible quality.

Think you mean by TPS is true potato seeds? If so I fully agree. Also that would give you the best results developing a variety for your immediate climate. Definitely interested in that! Yes I'm taking measures for a shtf scenario for sure. Better to have and not need then the need and not have.
Trying to grow it all!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »
I have a hazelnut and some other things that are on your list. Pm if interested.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 06:29:59 AM »
Bumping back to top.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
For a limited time have bunches of Malaysian red sugarcane I could trade for things on the list. Hit me up! Other suggestions beyond the list welcome especially if a zone 8 hardy edible species.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 06:54:51 AM »
Bumping back to front
Trying to grow it all!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
I have an overgrown bitter Calea bush D-

Would swap cuttings for some sugar cane

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
I have some of those seeds on my website. Queenoftheamazon.squarespace.com

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »
Have toon leaf and maybe will be selling the suckers once the plant sends some out
Cheers!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I have managed to get the Chinese toon leaf already though.
Trying to grow it all!

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 05:07:30 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I have managed to get the Chinese toon leaf already though.
Oh ok not the rarest herb out there but definitely very cool  :D
Cheers!

fermamo2002

• Cameroon, Buea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 06:48:16 AM »
If i have your email, i will send you my list

D-Grower

• View Profile