Author Topic: Figs-R-Us  (Read 13890 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Figs-R-Us
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
My recommendation is to always have a 5KG coco coir block on hand, they are cheap from the local hydro store (around $10-13 at most stores in CA). I use the coir for seedling mix, rooting cuttings mix, container soil mix, even cactus mix, and can use for airlayer.

Found some at the Hydro shop in san diego....a brick for 5.00 Hopefully I don't screw it up.

What size brick... make sure its at least 5KG because the smaller sizes you will get less for your money.

Here is a place decent price out in Temecula, if you found a $5 5KG coir block that is a great price (It sounds more like wholesale price).

http://iehydrogarden.com/product/gh-cocotek-bale-5-kg-2/

Not sure Nullz,  I wont make it home until after closing hours becuase me and Wife Carpool from San Diego... I'll check out the store in San diego today and see if it's enough... I only need enough to smother the cuttings in plastic shoebox right Nullz?  dampen the coir or ring it out? Then place the cuttings in the plastic shoebox smothered with the coir in a warm area maintained around 75 +/- 5? Open up daily to check moisture and possible mold?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
My recommendation is to always have a 5KG coco coir block on hand, they are cheap from the local hydro store (around $10-13 at most stores in CA). I use the coir for seedling mix, rooting cuttings mix, container soil mix, even cactus mix, and can use for airlayer.

Found some at the Hydro shop in san diego....a brick for 5.00 Hopefully I don't screw it up.

What size brick... make sure its at least 5KG because the smaller sizes you will get less for your money.

Here is a place decent price out in Temecula, if you found a $5 5KG coir block that is a great price (It sounds more like wholesale price).

Not sure Nullz,  I wont make it home until after closing hours becuase me and Wife Carpool from San Diego... I'll check out the store in San diego today and see if it's enough... I only need enough to smother the cuttings in plastic shoebox right Nullz?  dampen the coir or ring it out? Then place the cuttings in the plastic shoebox smothered with the coir in a warm area maintained around 75 +/- 5? Open up daily to check moisture and possible mold?

You don't need a 5KG block to cover them in a plastic shoebox. I just recommended it because its so handy to have, and you will most likely want to use more very soon  ;D. Especially when you spend more time on this forum and thinking of what to plant next hehe.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »

You don't need a 5KG block to cover them in a plastic shoebox. I just recommended it because its so handy to have, and you will most likely want to use more very soon  ;D. Especially when you spend more time on this forum and thinking of what to plant next hehe.

LMFAO!!!

I keep telling myself their is no more room...Little by little I have been planting into the ornamental landscape and lawn, at this rate, in a  few years my entire property will be Fruit Trees minus the House.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:14 AM »
First ever rooting attempt on the Highly Prized Col De Dame Noir from France... pre- treated withDip N Grow Rooting Hormone on the cuttings and placed in a Damp Coco Coir to promote rooting.... Thanks NULLZ!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SdjWRPmkE

***This is Noir, Not Blanc as I mentioned on the video
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:19:53 AM by ClayMango »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 12:54:25 AM »
First ever rooting attempt on the Highly Prized Col De Dame Noir from France... pre- treated withDip N Grow Rooting Hormone on the cuttings and placed in a Damp Coco Coir to promote rooting.... Thanks NULLZ!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SdjWRPmkE

***This is Noir, Not Blanc as I mentioned on the video

No problem, good to hear its in coir. Now your going to want to have biochar on hand lol ;D (jk... until the container mix comes into play  8) )
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »

hmm, I guess I'll make a pit stop today.

If you can't find it, pet stores usually sell blocks of it too. Any of the chain stores should have it in the reptile/amphibian section.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

hmm, I guess I'll make a pit stop today.

If you can't find it, pet stores usually sell blocks of it too. Any of the chain stores should have it in the reptile/amphibian section.

John i found a hydroponic store close to work which has has everything in the world, very cheap too. I went with a small brick of coir for 4 dollars...a third of it filled the container which isnt bad..

Pet stores? Interesting...what about Petco?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Deja vu All over again. Finally when i thought I completed my quest for the infamous Louisianna heirloom smith fig...awaiting fedex with a nice sized tree... They freaking botch tge delievery and send to somone elses house!!!!

You had 1 job fedex man...