Author Topic: Rooting Hormone  (Read 2081 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Rooting Hormone
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
I currently have some "take root" powder from garden safe, I have tried to root peach and pomegranate with this without luck, only left rotting. Although I did not give proper heat and light and other user error--

Opinions about this/other rooting hormones? I am looking to root more of my dwarf pomegranates soon, and more importantly wanting to root some of my friends lime cuttings he will give me. I now have germination mats and lots of light.

How do people usually do it? I was told cut off all but one or fractions of the top leaves, dip in hormone, stick in dirt with a germination mat, having adequate lighting.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Hormone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »
Here is how I do it. Remember that not all are as easy to root as MLemon.
Tale your cuttings from the top of a bearing tree. Take wood that you would take for budwood. Cut all but the terminal end leaves off then remove half the terminal leaves. Cut the other end at a sharp angle. You can place them in a container of water if doing a bunch. Take them out and dip tbe angle cut end in whatever rooting hormone you use. Take something and poke holes in ylur rooting medium. Carefully insert the dipped end into the holes you have made. Try not to dislodge the rooting hormone as you do. Place your new cuttings in the shade and keep them watered. This works for me every time.....even with poncirus.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »
Here is how I do it. Remember that not all are as easy to root as MLemon.
Tale your cuttings from the top of a bearing tree. Take wood that you would take for budwood. Cut all but the terminal end leaves off then remove half the terminal leaves. Cut the other end at a sharp angle. You can place them in a container of water if doing a bunch. Take them out and dip tbe angle cut end in whatever rooting hormone you use. Take something and poke holes in ylur rooting medium. Carefully insert the dipped end into the holes you have made. Try not to dislodge the rooting hormone as you do. Place your new cuttings in the shade and keep them watered. This works for me every time.....even with poncirus.

Awesome, thank you for the advice! Thank you for always commenting on my questions haha I really appreciate it. I will try this with my lime cuttings soon here!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
I'm running a rooting experiment right now that I started a few weeks ago... I'll post results in a month or two.

I took 72 total cuttings of six different citrus varieties, one third got no hormone, one third got years-old hormone from an open container, one third got brand new hormone from a sealed container.

The cuttings are in a seedling propagation tray on a heat mat, inside a plastic enclosure in a north-facing (no direct sunlight) window.  One issue so far is finding the right balance between no ventilation where mold grows, and too much ventilation where leaves dry out.  My last attempt at rooting guava cuttings with ventilation they all quickly dried out and died, even with almost all leaves removed.  So far my enclosed citrus cuttings are starting to get moldy so I have been airing them out at night.

I had prepped the cuttings exactly as Bomand describes above.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:07:40 PM by brian »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:50:37 PM »
Put sands on top of the soil, that will help reduce the mold to be form.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
Good idea, I will try this next time

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
Thank you all for tips and everything! Brian keep me posted on how this turns out! Would love to see results.. I am going to use a 50% perlite 50% vermiculite mix with my take root garden safe powder and see what happens. I will probably use that sand trick too just to be safe.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
brain was your rooting medium completely sterile?  You can sterilize in the microwave. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:05:34 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:43:44 PM »
I find that when you have mold problems......it is a result of too much warmth, too much water and reusing potting medium. Cuttings do not have to be kept wet all the time. Water from the bottom to keep mold at bay. During the day put cuttings in sunshine for a couple of hours. Do not reuse potting medium....start with new soil.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
No, my soil is the opposite of sterile, it is a constantly recycled pile of old potting soil from dead/repotted trees mixed with turface and fresh mulch  Probably would be better to have used sterile soil, but I was too lazy to go buy some.  If nothing survives ill retry with sterile soil and sand on top.

Microwave is good idea too. 

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »
Also: baking soda is an antifungal. A sprinkling of it makes war on fungus.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:48 PM »
A number of years ago I did woody ornamental rooting in a heated sand bed within a shadehouse. My favorite rooting formula was a liquid that was used a full strength for hard to root cuttings and diluted for easier to root cuttings. The brand is Dip 'N Grow Liquid Rooting Hormone. By storing the liquid concentrate in a freezer, it kept it's potency for years. Once diluted, the solution was used and left over solution was discarded.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:42 AM »
i tried 20 dekopon cuttings directly planted in aloe vera and then in soil for seedlings.....covered with a bag, no holes...but they all got moulded and died.

Will try it again soon with sterile soil, imported.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »
I've only used powders containing indole-3-butyric acid, this is what I'm using in my experiment also

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
No, my soil is the opposite of sterile, it is a constantly recycled pile of old potting soil from dead/repotted trees mixed with turface and fresh mulch  Probably would be better to have used sterile soil, but I was too lazy to go buy some.  If nothing survives ill retry with sterile soil and sand on top.

Microwave is good idea too.

Awesome! I reuse/refresh my soil over and over, in part because I need so much and it is expensive, and in part becuase I would like to get at least SOME helpful microbes going in it. It is "survival of the fittest" at my place!

Carolyn

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 05:25:11 AM »
Each plant spicies different to root hormone concentration.
It can be higher or lower, there is no formula for all.
For instance some may root very goot at 1000 ppm IBA while at 3000 ppm theh will not root at all.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 05:27:16 AM »
brain was your rooting medium completely sterile?  You can sterilize in the microwave.

If it contains perlite and you microwave it then you will slowly poison yourself and the plants. The vapour and gases are toxic.