Author Topic: what's happening to my annona grafts?  (Read 2698 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
what's happening to my annona grafts?
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:25 PM »
this is the second time it happened.  it was going strong then leaves starts looking like this.  The other one was much bigger then this one and did the same thing.   just a failed graft? overwatered?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: what's happening to my annona grafts?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »
Were both "failed" graftd in the summer?  How long from the time of grafting to that flush at that stage?
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
This looks like the root stock is dying and not the graft.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
the 1st one was about two months and yes it was mid summer this one about a month......root stock is very much alive because new growth buds still sprouting.....they look like not getting water but soil is moist.  Thought it was the heat but usually when I have that happens leaves would brown in a day or two.   the first one took over a week to die....this one has been 3 days now.....both were in partial shade

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:44:29 PM »
I know this is not a great time of year to graft annonas.  I wonder if that is playing a roll here...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
Yah, that's what I was thinking.

This looks like the root stock is dying and not the graft.
Jeff  :-)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:41:23 AM »
I agree it looks like a rootstock problem.

I think you can save it. I had a pierce that was like that last year. Gary from laguna hills told me to bareroot it and put it in their soil and baby it for a few months. Roots looked dead to me when I washed away the native soil. I put it in a cheap plastic greenhouse with misters over winter and it sprouted growth from both rootstock and main graft. It’s in ground now and isn’t as robust as my others but it’s growing and I’ll give it another season before judging.

K

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »
this is the second time it happened.  it was going strong then leaves starts looking like this.  The other one was much bigger then this one and did the same thing.   just a failed graft? overwatered?

my recommendation toanyone on Anona is to put your seedlings into ground first so they have good root system. remember these grow quickly. after at least 1-yr in ground with multiple branches, you start grafting. I have little success but mostly failures in grafting when in pots, as pots here in So Cal are susceptible to diseases and water problems given unstable weather. over-watering or under-watering is a major issue.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
Hows the bottom of the pot look?  Drain holes covered in white crust?
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »

so I went and barerooted it....didnt know how to do it so lost most of it :( Brad, drain holes weren't clogged and no white stuff.  I use promix hp and mix about a 3rd of bark into it.  I felt the soil ...it was moist but not water logged.  the base of the stump does seem to have excessive moisture tho. 
     Behl I did about 8 grafts the 1st time and only one lost so far ....this one was 1 out of 10.  the 1st time I just thought it was stress due to that 112 day....i did place all of them in full shade for the day but only one reacted this way.  I consider myself lucky.  But it happen again to this one in the 2nd batch so i was puzzled.   
    The first one was a pierce this one is a Selma.  in both batch had couple of the same that survived and are thriving in pot.  That's why it's puzzling. 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
The roots starved to death during the month or two after all the leaves were cut off the root-stock during high-metabolism/ active growth time of year.

Four to six good-sized leaves must be left on the root-stock until there are at least that many mature, hardened up leaves on the scion.  Tender new growth is not photosynthesizing enough for its own needs, much less for the needs of the roots and trunk, which are all live cells needing glucose to survive.  Remember that fertilizers are mineral supplements, not food, in the sense of source of energy to live.  Fertilizers will actually make a situation like this much worse.  And any disease or pest finds the plant defenseless.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:27:03 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
Remember to know the difference between buds and leaves.  The root-stocks' buds must be destroyed, carefully, without removing the leaves.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
aha! Makes sense. Thanks for the 'splanation. I've had this happen to me a couple of times.

The roots starved to death during the month or two after all the leaves were cut off the root-stock during high-metabolism/ active growth time of year.

Four to six good-sized leaves must be left on the root-stock until that are at least that many mature, hardened up leaves on the scion.  Tender new growth is not photosynthesizing enough for its own needs, much less for the needs of the roots and trunk, which are all live cells needing glucose to survive.  Remember that fertilizers are mineral supplements, not food, in the sense of source of energy to live.  Fertilizers will actually make a situation like this much worse.  And any disease or pest finds the plant defenseless.
Jeff  :-)

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »

Four to six good-sized leaves must be left on the root-stock until that are at least that many mature, hardened up leaves on the scion.  Tender new growth is not photosynthesizing enough for its own needs, much less for the needs of the roots and trunk, which are all live cells needing glucose to survive.  Remember that fertilizers are mineral supplements, not food, in the sense of source of energy to live.  Fertilizers will actually make a situation like this much worse.  And any disease or pest finds the plant defenseless.

:( that was my other thought maybe I topped the rootstock too soon.  I guess I luck out with my other grafts that I did the same.  I thought the new growth was enough and the rootstock would put all it's energy into the graft to survive

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 10:36:41 PM »
thanks all so much......so much more to learn lol that's why I love this site members have a wealth of knowledge and the heart to share

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »

Four to six good-sized leaves must be left on the root-stock until there are at least that many mature, hardened up leaves on the scion.  Tender new growth is not photosynthesizing enough for its own needs, much less for the needs of the roots and trunk, which are all live cells needing glucose to survive.  Remember that fertilizers are mineral supplements, not food, in the sense of source of energy to live.  Fertilizers will actually make a situation like this much worse.  And any disease or pest finds the plant defenseless.

Thank you for that explanation. Very helpful
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »
my recommendation toanyone on Anona is to put your seedlings into ground first so they have good root system.

That's what I did, potted up a cherimoya seedling before grafting your budwood - Sabor, Campas, Pierce and Behl.  The seedling was only established about 3 weeks though, but as you've seen quickly became a 5' tree of 6 successful grafts.   

July:

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
my recommendation toanyone on Anona is to put your seedlings into ground first so they have good root system.

That's what I did, potted up a cherimoya seedling before grafting your budwood - Sabor, Campas, Pierce and Behl.  The seedling was only established about 3 weeks though, but as you've seen quickly became a 5' tree of 6 successful grafts.   

July:

Mark, you have a serious green thumb :) 
I recall seeing some posts when you made those grafts back in March I believe.
Nice.  Keep a photorecord of this and share from time to time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk