Author Topic: I Have My Changsha  (Read 1564 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
I Have My Changsha
« on: July 09, 2019, 03:37:06 PM »
My Changsha arrived today from McKenzie farms. I will leave it in the pot and plant out next year. I am very excited to grow this one.

My name is Cindy

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: I Have My Changsha
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »
Super seedy but I find the flavor to be really good!  Good luck with it!!

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
Yay! Good luck!

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
Justfruitsandexotics.com listed changsha tangerine to be hardy as low as 4F.  Is it true?

Stan Mckenzie listed his owari satsuma as 12F hardy, while Justfruitsandexotics listed owari satsuma as 16F hardy. Why is there a difference?

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
It both is and isn't true.  Having cleared that up, I'll elaborate a bit.

Changsha has been reported to have survived 4F during a very short freeze followed by a rapid warmup- I believe that was in Texas, though memory may fail me.

During prolonged freezes, like 140 consecutive hours below freezing, Changsha' will normally be killed around 12F, even on Flying Dragon (FD) rootstocks.  This is what I've observed here in the Portland Oregon area.

However, there is certain variance in the cold hardiness of the seedlings, and some can survive lower temperatures.  I have one such seedling- the sole survivor of a 140 consecutive hours below freezing with lows around 11F.  Later I grafted it onto a FD rootstock and the graft subsequently survived 200+ consecutive hours below freezing  with lows of 8F in Jaunuary 2017, even as the original seedling died when it's roots froze.

So, greater hardiness is possible, and is enhanced with grafting on certain rootstocks.

Also, Changsha's in the south, SE , Texas, etc, will be unlikely to see the long extended freezes such as occur in the PNW, so will be much more likely to survive very low Temperatures.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »
  Stan Mckenzie listed his owari satsuma as 12F hardy, while Justfruitsandexotics listed owari satsuma as 16F hardy. Why is there a difference?
My Satsuma definitely did not survive 12F here in the Pacific Northwest, even though it was covered, and the minimum temperature was likely higher than that (maybe 14F, can't be precisely sure).

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 02:49:31 PM »
Thank Socal2 and Jim VH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk