Author Topic: Flavor King Pluot  (Read 6857 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Flavor King Pluot
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »
Just picked up a 5g Flavor King Pluot that came from Dave Wilsons nusery... Extremely excited! Nothing but good reviews on this tree and it won the 2013 Dave Wilson best flavor...hopefully it lives up to the hype... I have a 20 ft Santa Rosa for cross polination already too.

Also picked a Pink Lady and an Excel fig which im excited about too!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: Flavor King Pluot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
I have a spot for the Pluot now.  Planning to get one soon  :D

Grats on the fig.  No fig, and I mean NO fig comes remotely close to the taste of an Excel.  Most amazing fig there is. 

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »
I have a spot for the Pluot now.  Planning to get one soon  :D

Grats on the fig.  No fig, and I mean NO fig comes remotely close to the taste of an Excel.  Most amazing fig there is.

I figured if the Flavor King won best Flavor in 2013 for stone fruits...it must be something special! so I pulled the trigger.

On the Figs4fun forum i have been looking at the top tier Figs mentioned... Excel was rated extremely high as the best tasting along with Smith... I hopefully should have a Smith coming in this year or next year if USPS can get their shit together after sending my shipment back. both Excel and Smith were rated an 11 out of 10 from a Figs4fun Forum member who graded over 20 or so Figs that year. Col De Dame White and Violette de Bord... were other top rated Figs I'm looking to grab. I think I need a mixture of The Dark colored, white, green, and maybe even the LSU purple for looks, Pinache is also a nice varigated tree.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:31:18 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
My excel has come out of dormancy already, and I cant wait.  :)

I like celeste better than smith--though it is a bit smaller.

Where do you think is the best place to order the flavor king from?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
My excel has come out of dormancy already, and I cant wait.  :)

I like celeste better than smith--though it is a bit smaller.

Where do you think is the best place to order the flavor king from?

I believe most online nurseries are done with bare root purchases...im not familiar with what local nuseries would carry that near you.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
I think April 1 is bareroot cutoff for a number of them.  I don't mind paying extra for a potted if needbe though.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
I think April 1 is bareroot cutoff for a number of them.  I don't mind paying extra for a potted if needbe though.

If you can't find a potted Tree within the Bare root cutoff period, I would go ahead and Pull the trigger on it. I'm just hoping the fruit is as Good as the hype, the last thing I want is a  let down....

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »

If you can't find a potted Tree within the Bare root cutoff period, I would go ahead and Pull the trigger on it. I'm just hoping the fruit is as Good as the hype, the last thing I want is a  let down....

Exactly.  I need to fill this spot only because the last tree there was just that.  A let down.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »
Col De Dame White and Violette de Bord... were other top rated Figs I'm looking to grab. I think I need a mixture of The Dark colored, white, green, and maybe even the LSU purple for looks, Pinache is also a nice varigated tree.

Violette de Bordeaux and Panache are very common in Southern California. Panache was the first one I got but it's been majorly crippled by a number of lawn edger encounters. It wasn't my doing.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
Col De Dame White and Violette de Bord... were other top rated Figs I'm looking to grab. I think I need a mixture of The Dark colored, white, green, and maybe even the LSU purple for looks, Pinache is also a nice varigated tree.

Violette de Bordeaux and Panache are very common in Southern California. Panache was the first one I got but it's been majorly crippled by a number of lawn edger encounters. It wasn't my doing.

How good are these varieties?

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »
ClayMango, My experiences with Violette de Bordeaux and Panache here in the desert have been very good. Both of my trees are young / small so I only got a couple of small figs last year. But the taste is great. Very fruity with raspberry/strawberry notes to them, and not as 'figgy' tasting as say a Black Mission (and there is no problem with that, I love figs of all flavors!). This spring both trees are just taking off with growth and I already have a VdB fig that is already 1" in diameter, so I am expecting a much bigger crop this year. And of course, besides flavor, the tiger stripe green on the Panache fig is just beautiful.
- Mark

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
There's a "long neck yellow" that locals say is the best. Yellow outside, sweet jelly inside, large fruit.
Also "Peter's honey" has a good name so I'm trying that too.

Maybe someone should start a fig thread to keep going with this. Figs4Fun is in San Diego and there's 800+ varieties there the last time I heard.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »
There's a "long neck yellow" that locals say is the best. Yellow outside, sweet jelly inside, large fruit.
Also "Peter's honey" has a good name so I'm trying that too.

Maybe someone should start a fig thread to keep going with this. Figs4Fun is in San Diego and there's 800+ varieties there the last time I heard.

800 plus varieties....close it up everyone....time to go home and get back to the drawing board!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
Well he has a nursery and is a collector so I think that's why he started the forum. You can go visit him.

But I don't think there's one that's the best in all areas. Some are really good when there's enough heat. Some still do well near the beach with mild climate. The ones that need heat are just watery near the beach.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 12:09:22 AM »
Well he has a nursery and is a collector so I think that's why he started the forum. You can go visit him.

But I don't think there's one that's the best in all areas. Some are really good when there's enough heat. Some still do well near the beach with mild climate. The ones that need heat are just unripe pith near the beach.

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »
Jon Verdick who runs figs4fun is definitely open to people coming to visit. He has a lot more than just fits too. In my experience most people who are into fruit are more than happy to have looong talks about their obsession while wandering thru the orchard

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
Everyone has migrated over to Willc'S "Ourfigsforum"..... not sure  what happened....but the new forum is really nice....great community of folks...