Author Topic: How long are Passiflora seeds viable?  (Read 2467 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
How long are Passiflora seeds viable?
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:50 PM »
I am looking to buy seeds of P. actinia on eBay from a seller who says to have harvested seed in January 2016.  Would they still be viable now?
Anisha

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: How long are Passiflora seeds viable?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
Ive had passionfruit seeds from tradewinds in a pot for over 8 months until they germinated, so im sure their good. Soak the seeds for 24-48 hours, usually helps speed germination.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:19:32 PM »
Ive had passionfruit seeds from tradewinds in a pot for over 8 months until they germinated, so im sure their good. Soak the seeds for 24-48 hours, usually helps speed germination.
Thanks. What Passiflora seeds did you get from them? Mine from them rarely ever germinate. Ive bought P. maliformis, P. ligularis, and P. laurifolia with no luck. I have successful germinated P. quadrangularis and P. mollissima.
Anisha

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:37:42 AM »
6 months is chickenfeed for passionfruit seeds of most species,Not quadrangularis perhaps.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »
Your right Mike they were quadrangularis seeds, longest ive had other passion fruit species for that sprouted was around 3 months. I tried germinating all the passion fruit seeds from trade winds and i usually get around 30%-50% to germinate, I have had some with no germination but it depends how long they have been available on the site, try to buy them as soon as their restocked on the site.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
UPDATE: Passiflora viability
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Update: A while back, I purchased several varieties of Passiflora. After a little over a year, I now have around 20 seedlings growing quite well. I gave up on them several months ago, and recycled the soil for a mango seed. Now I have a bunch of them growing out of a plastic bottle. Too bad I don't know what species they are. I've purchased about 5. If anyone can ID, I'll post photos!
Tip of the day: Don't give up on your Passiflora seeds!
Anisha

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE: Passiflora viability
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Update: A while back, I purchased several varieties of Passiflora. After a little over a year, I now have around 20 seedlings growing quite well. I gave up on them several months ago, and recycled the soil for a mango seed. Now I have a bunch of them growing out of a plastic bottle. Too bad I don't know what species they are. I've purchased about 5. If anyone can ID, I'll post photos!
Tip of the day: Don't give up on your Passiflora seeds!

That's great to know! I love to hear stories like this. I have a variety of passiflora seeds - maybe 8 different varieties? - with apparently dead seeds. If they rise from the grave soon, a full year after planted, that would make me very happy. But I am not expecting much. This is our rainy season, so I am certainly open to surprises, though!

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
I brought a bunch of yellow lilikoi seeds back from Maui end of Sept 2015, and I just started a tray of passiflora seeds in July. About 80% of my lilikoi seeds germinated within 5 days, which is more than I can say for the "just in" seeds of Laurifolia,  Maliformis and Quadrangularis I bought "fresh" from tradewinds in April 2016. I will say that lightly sanding the seed coats before soaking has given me better germination then the last tray, but thats still only 2-3 (of 36) each for Laurifolia and Quadrangularis. One Malformis sprouted but died before it could fully split the seed hull and unfurl its first leaves.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE: Passiflora viability
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
That's great to know! I love to hear stories like this. I have a variety of passiflora seeds - maybe 8 different varieties? - with apparently dead seeds. If they rise from the grave soon, a full year after planted, that would make me very happy. But I am not expecting much. This is our rainy season, so I am certainly open to surprises, though!
[/quote]
@Livingparadise
Yeah, I'm happy they were in a clear plastic bottle. That's how I first noticed them growing!
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »
I brought a bunch of yellow lilikoi seeds back from Maui end of Sept 2015, and I just started a tray of passiflora seeds in July. About 80% of my lilikoi seeds germinated within 5 days, which is more than I can say for the "just in" seeds of Laurifolia,  Maliformis and Quadrangularis I bought "fresh" from tradewinds in April 2016. I will say that lightly sanding the seed coats before soaking has given me better germination then the last tray, but thats still only 2-3 (of 36) each for Laurifolia and Quadrangularis. One Malformis sprouted but died before it could fully split the seed hull and unfurl its first leaves.
I've had the same thing happen when a seed would sprout and die. Don't know why that happens. Maybe humidity. I also got mine from Tradewinds. P. quadrangularis, incarnata, and mollissima were the only super fresh seeds I've gotten from them. The mystery Passifloras are either a mix of alata, ligularis, maliformis, and laurifolia.
Anisha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk