Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183012 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Yep, you do have to choose the one that will work for your gpm rate.  I gave Brad the big one based on his total output when considering a particular zone.

You control the rate of suction two ways - with the bypass valve - open and no suction; closing down in increments - suction.  The small valve that fits on the suction tube at the start of the suction tube can also be used to control the uptake.   Looks like Brad has it closed down about a 1/3.

Samu, it all comes down to your pipe size and flow rate.  What size pipe do you have and how much water are you running through it in a minute?  How many minutes you run per month? 

If you look close, theres a black valve you fine tune the flow rate with on the inlet tube on the mazzei.

Yes, I see that black valve now Brad! I don't have acreage like you guys do, just a couple dozen trees in a city lot, and am still in the process of converting all my fruit trees watering to slow watering "dripline" system, so I'll most likely go with the smallest model they have: ( 1/2" pvc size fittings.)

Thanks Mark and Brad for sharing your experience, you've always been helpful!
Sam

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »
Yep, you do have to choose the one that will work for your gpm rate.  I gave Brad the big one based on his total output when considering a particular zone.

You control the rate of suction two ways - with the bypass valve - open and no suction; closing down in increments - suction.  The small valve that fits on the suction tube at the start of the suction tube can also be used to control the uptake.   Looks like Brad has it closed down about a 1/3.

Samu, it all comes down to your pipe size and flow rate.  What size pipe do you have and how much water are you running through it in a minute?  How many minutes you run per month? 

If you look close, theres a black valve you fine tune the flow rate with on the inlet tube on the mazzei.

Yes, I see that black valve now Brad! I don't have acreage like you guys do, just a couple dozen trees in a city lot, and am still in the process of converting all my fruit trees watering to slow watering "dripline" system, so I'll most likely go with the smallest model they have: ( 1/2" pvc size fittings.)

Thanks Mark and Brad for sharing your experience, you've always been helpful!

Unless you have plenty of output at the trees I don't think even the small Mazzei will give you the suction you need.  The end point must be quite a bit lower pressure than at the unit.  Might want to consider a Hozon syphonex attached to a house faucet.  Same principle.  I'm using one I bought 30 years ago.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2018, 01:45:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips and reminders re salt burn. Completely forgot about salt burn.  Will turn off for a few weeks then restart.

I’ll look into the flow meter. Sounds like a good idea.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
Question... Is there anything that I can do to give my avo trees more energy to produce more foliage or strengthen their roots and branches? Not too concerned about the fruit production as they're only 7 gallon container trees, planted on ground. May be more Nitrogen? Trees are healthy just sort of slow growing as of now... May be that's typically for the first year then they take off??
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
Yeah use a nitrogen heavy fertilizer made for citrus and avocados.  Just use it in moderation and use it often when its hot. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 30, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
My Hass has made a great recovery.. unfortunately I've cut the lamb-hass down to about 1 ft tall with one green group of leaves. everything else died off. Holiday has green tips but not looking to good still.
Remember to not OVER water :(
-Kris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 30, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
Question... Is there anything that I can do to give my avo trees more energy to produce more foliage or strengthen their roots and branches? Not too concerned about the fruit production as they're only 7 gallon container trees, planted on ground. May be more Nitrogen? Trees are healthy just sort of slow growing as of now... May be that's typically for the first year then they take off??

I use nothing but a slow release like Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor, 6 mo.  Good NPK ratio and good micro package.  Don't forget to mulch.  Avocados thrive on it, especially using their own leaves.  I've used pine needles and their own leaves for a long time.  Closed done my Xmas op so pine needles are in short supply so I've switched to Landscapers Pride pine bark mulch.  It's very good quality.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 31, 2018, 03:20:49 AM »
Yeah use a nitrogen heavy fertilizer made for citrus and avocados.  Just use it in moderation and use it often when its hot.

which fertilizer are you using for your avocados?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 31, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »
Question... Is there anything that I can do to give my avo trees more energy to produce more foliage or strengthen their roots and branches?

I followed these recommendations and got some poorly performing trees to become better producers. These are on large sandy soil mounds and What is seen in the pic is the first stage of mulching with cut wood. Second stage was topping with wood chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYZuNjnvbk

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »

I gave Spaugh a Mazzei injector for his commercial op and recommended this Peters food to inject for his avocados.  He loves them both.  This is probably the highest quality, high performance (strong) food you can get for N lovers.  Especially good for citrus too as this is the NPK they assimilate as revealed by leaf petiole tissue analysis.

https://www.amazon.com/77900-Performance-Fertilizer-25-5-15-25-Pound/dp/B008JSIKCU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »

I have the jacks that mark mentioned.   I have also used a lot of gro power citrus avocado.  If you have a good nursery near by they will carry the gro power.  Its humus based and probably better if you just have a couple trees.  The jacks stuff is pretty potent and salt based which can burn an avocado if you get carried away with it.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »
The jacks stuff is pretty potent and salt based which can burn an avocado if you get carried away with it.

I use it as a tweek but for you it's a good solution.  I use to inject various Peters foods for my 3,500 Xmas trees which were on drip irrigation.  I used Peters Azalea 21-7-7 acid forming food too to help with my calcareous, high pH soils.

For convenience and a slow release food (which avocados love) you can't beat an encapsulated food, if you have the rain to make it happen.  I bet I put this one on 6,000 new field transplants/liners and on my greenhouse tropical trees.  Polyon is somewhat more refined technically than Osmocote. Harrell's is a Florida op who stocks it.  It's popular with golf greens keepers, broadcasting it on fairways, roughs, greens.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
To be honest any fertilizer with high N, low P, and medium K plus micros will work.  I use a lot of different fertilizers and use them on every kind of fruiting plant.  The plants are not that picky.   Once trees are full sized and fruiting hard you can back off the nitrogen.

Mark turned me on to Harrels also and I got an account setup with them.  They have an office/wharehouse in Vista CA.  I got some 12-6-8 polyon at 35$ a 50lb bag.  Been using that stuff too.  They also have water soluable stuff like jacks for half the price. 
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
Holidays are ripening

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
Good for you, Frank!
Both my Avocado trees suffered burnt damage (especially on upper part) due to recent heat spell, and many small fruits dropped, those fruits still hanging will drop too I suspect: (so no Avocado to harvest this year!  :(  )

Sam

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »
Holy s.....what kind of temperatures/humidity/wind speed  range you had to experience such an awful damage????
Lorenzo

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2018, 11:20:38 PM »
Dont feel too bad Samu, I lost a ton of avocados.  Especially hass, the trees were loaded and just dropped all the golfball size fruits. 

Lory it was 44 to 48 degrees celcius here with no humidity and lots of wind for a few days here.
Brad Spaugh

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »
Oh my godness you've conditions comparable to kuwait or saudi arabia!
Now i understand  :(
Lorenzo

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »

I gave Spaugh a Mazzei injector for his commercial op and recommended this Peters food to inject for his avocados.  He loves them both.  This is probably the highest quality, high performance (strong) food you can get for N lovers.  Especially good for citrus too as this is the NPK they assimilate as revealed by leaf petiole tissue analysis.

https://www.amazon.com/77900-Performance-Fertilizer-25-5-15-25-Pound/dp/B008JSIKCU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

thanks for letting me know about it. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

@spaugh - thanks for letting me know about the salt issue.

i've only really used dr. earth fruit tree fertilizer the past year so i'll switch it up and see how it does.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 03, 2018, 02:12:57 AM »
Oh my godness you've conditions comparable to kuwait or saudi arabia!
Now i understand  :(

Yeah its not always like that but a few times a year ot gets super hot and dry. 

Maye more like morocco
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 03, 2018, 02:15:39 AM »

thanks for letting me know about it. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

@spaugh - thanks for letting me know about the salt issue.

i've only really used dr. earth fruit tree fertilizer the past year so i'll switch it up and see how it does.

If you have just a few trees dr earth should be great stuff.  Thats good to start trees on, its mild and has the benefical microbes.  They have a good starter fert called "bio live".   If you want a little more horsepower but still semi organic try the gro power. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:19:54 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
Was out working in the garden yesterday and picked a few fruit.  Was really surprised that both mexicola and steuart are ripening already.  Havent tried one yet but here they are.  A whole year earlier than the larger cados.

Mexicola, stewart, lamb, reed. 

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »
Was out working in the garden yesterday and picked a few fruit.  Was really surprised that both mexicola and steuart are ripening already.  Havent tried one yet but here they are.  A whole year earlier than the larger cados.

Mexicola, stewart, lamb, reed. 

Impressive!  What a culinary explosion, sheesh. 

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
My Avocado death count as of today: 2. Lamb-Hass and Holiday. My third tree is doing great with exactly same treatment as these two? (Hass) Luckily my local nursery has credited me for both trees and a 4-in-1 cherry tree that a graft had died on.

Does anyone, or will you have any avocados (grafted) for sale? I can get pretty much any variety at my local home depot right now. (Bacon, Holiday, Stewart, Hass, Little Cado, Lamb-Hass, Mexicola) 5 gallon for $30  (Grafted)

Is there any variety I should look in to for my area? (9b, northern CA)
I like the timing of the holiday, and may grab another but I'd be interested in any recommendations on better replacements for the lamb-hass. I had my eyes set on a GEM avocado but short of driving to SD and paying quite a bit I was unable to locate one.

Any input appreciated.
-Kris

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
Yucatán avocado meaty

Ticuch excellent red better than Hanson red

Xcunya creamy oily for a West Indian avo