Author Topic: tastiest Annona fruit  (Read 63169 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: tastiest Annona fruit
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
I have tasted a lot of annonas, including over 400 hybrids that I bred.

Which are the tastier ones?  The order of mention could vary a lot, depending on the genetics and culture of the tree and on the genetics and culture of the taster.

"De gustibus non disputandum est!"

1) Some varieties of Northern-Pawpaw and some varieties of Cherimoya vie for Number One on my list.  Other varieties of those same species I do not like at all!
2) Crassiflora
3) Cawesh
4) Amazon Custard Fruit / Biriba
5) Custard-Apple
6) Ilama
7) Guanabana

Sugar-Apples and Atemoyas and Muvulus are also good. 

Interesting but problematic are Mountain-Soursops and Soncoyas and Cornifolia and many small-and-seedy Rollinia species.
Looking to expand my annona palette and saw a couple that I was unfamiliar with on this thread. The Pawpaw, Crassiflora, Cawesh, and Muvulus. I also saw one called the Junglesop....Some real interesting annonas here but I can't seem to find any seeds or plants for sale...Anyone here have any experience with these as far a particular cultivars or possibly some scions??? I know the Junglesop is from Africa....Soren aren't you from Uganda? Have you ever tried the Junglesop? It seems info says it takes a while to fruit if at all...

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
Junglesop is in Congo, but senegalensis is here in Uganda but another Annona described as better in taste; stenophylla is not and so rare I have not heard any describe the taste firsthand
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

MikesID have you tried the atemoyas maroochy gold,KJ Pinks,Hillary's White or even pinks mammoth? They have all had extreme claims about quality and are a quantum leap ahead of gefner and african pride so should stack up in any annona pageant.I have not tried tropic sun in the picture but the hype says it has the finest flavour of all.

No list of good annonas can really leave atemoyas out.This is the Australian experience.Commercially they are the only large scale species grown here with sugar apples being a backyard tree,rollinias and soursops grown on a small scale and in yard and cherimoya being a boutique fruit never for sale in shops.Custard apples are getting rarer as they are considered inferior as are all other annonas and they are rare.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
That's a beautiful fruit.

They should breed the next generation and call it "tropic thunder" ... I'll go to great lengths in acquiring one  ;D
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Not needing hand pollination,being a dwarf and being super productive were some of the selling points in the nursery industry.I bought one but could be a feather too warm for it to thrive.I held back when maroochy gold hit the market in a blaze of glory.If I cross the tropic sun with a pinks mammoth then a pink sun could be a real winner.I suppose the reverse cross would be a mammoth tropic.Obviously in Australia improved custard apples and cherimoyas would give the commercial industry some more spark.Asian markets are buying KJ Pinks,Pinks Mammoth and Hillary's white in good volumes.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
Mike, Tropic Sun should go alright for you in Cairns. It is the first to defoliate in winter here, beating sweetsop by a good month. Seems to have more tropical sap than the other types. I recently purchased one and when I went to put it in the ground the roots fell apart! Like crumble. Argh! I wont visit that nursery again.  :'( I'll try again early spring.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
The Cuban Chirimoya and the Cuban Guanabana taste is excellent.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
The Cuban Chirimoya and the Cuban Guanabana taste is excellent.

here you go 007 Cuban Cherimoya in the Yucatan......very creamy and sweet. Some of the mangos varieties from the same region: dama,deliciosa,indio.globo,manguita,manilita,manila,imperial,manila
blanc etc etc...

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
Those Chirimoyas are the ones that I grew up eating...delicious. And the mangoes in the middle are beautiful.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Those Chirimoyas are the ones that I grew up eating...delicious. And the mangoes in the middle are beautiful.

I'll post some pics from the central market in La Habana this week when I get them from my son.....te vas a babiar LOL

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
I don't have to go to the central market in  La Habana here you go: algodon, guanabana y el maranhon que aprieta la boca

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
Harry,

Am I noticing wicked A. glabra suckers coming up from your rootstock on this tree?

That looks like your tree is sitting on one heck of an elephants foot...just like the specimen at excalibur.

thanks for posting pics.

regardless...it seems these trees are quite happy!  You are one of very few who kept this tree alive.

great job

Harry
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2012, 01:39:33 AM »
I don't have to go to the central market in  La Habana here you go: algodon, guanabana y el maranhon que aprieta la boca

The top fruit is the Cashew, we call them "Cajuil" in the D.R.  what are they called there? you mention Maranhon and Algodon in the text.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »
Harry,

Am I noticing wicked A. glabra suckers coming up from your rootstock on this tree?

That looks like your tree is sitting on one heck of an elephants foot.
..just like the specimen at excalibur.

thanks for posting pics.

regardless...it seems these trees are quite happy!  You are one of very few who kept this tree alive.

great job

Harry

I agree, those rootstock suckers need to be cut off.  At first I didn't see what you were referring to with the elephant foot.  Then I saw the faint outline through the suckers...something just looks strange there.  Harry - did this get damaged in a storm at some point?
- Rob

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2012, 03:37:31 AM »
Marañon is the cashew. Algodon, I think J, was referring to the type of Guanabana or Soursop.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2012, 04:50:32 AM »

Cuban cherimoya = Annona reticulata, not really cherimoya. Bit confusing with the Cuban name.
Oscar

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »

MikesID have you tried the atemoyas maroochy gold,KJ Pinks,Hillary's White or even pinks mammoth? They have all had extreme claims about quality and are a quantum leap ahead of gefner and african pride so should stack up in any annona pageant.I have not tried tropic sun in the picture but the hype says it has the finest flavour of all.

No list of good annonas can really leave atemoyas out.This is the Australian experience.Commercially they are the only large scale species grown here with sugar apples being a backyard tree,rollinias and soursops grown on a small scale and in yard and cherimoya being a boutique fruit never for sale in shops.Custard apples are getting rarer as they are considered inferior as are all other annonas and they are rare.
The maroochy gold sounds very interesting. Anyone here in south florida grow this or any of some of the Australian cultivars? Is gefner really that inferior to the others?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
Marañon is the cashew. Algodon, I think J, was referring to the type of Guanabana or Soursop.

I was referring to the texture of the guanabana .... cotton candy, Algodon de azucar: nh(portugues) gn (frances)=ñ. I didn't know the forum supported the ñ.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:11 AM »
Mikes id I can't bring myself to chop pout the gefner and african pride because they are productive and like old friends and fruit are nice.They were the 2 I could get that handle warm conditions at my place well and the higher quality pinks mammoth likes it cooler.The tastier,smoother,sweeter maroochy gold could go well in my climate and it is alot better because it had the benefit of a long breeding program but wasn't available around here a few years ago.I wanted just one elite atemoya and bought a tropic sun which is a dwarf.The hype says it is way better than gefner and african which admittedly are the bottom of the pile these days with hillarys and KJ's clearly better fruit so TS must be way better. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

mikesid
FYI
maroochy gold atemoya

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
Very nice! Is there any nursery from Australia that ships these. I have not been able to find much info on these. Are these treated with colchicine? Also would seeds from  these come true to type if treated with colchicine?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »

I'll post some pics from the central market in La Habana this week when I get them from my son.....te vas a babiar LOL

Ok Cuban007, as promised, here are some pics from Habana Cuba. These are some fruits he purchased in an outdoor market near his hotel.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2012, 02:13:39 AM »
Hey Joe, your boy is wasting quality H2O   ;D   
Thanks for sharing the pictures, them pineapples look good!
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2012, 05:28:06 AM »
http://www.custardapple.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7254:new-custard-apple-variety-just-released&catid=2:announcements&Itemid=80 http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_16764.htm][url]http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_16764.htm[/url]
Mikes id here a couple of link where the 2 atemoyas are mentioned.I got tropic sun from a supermarket and my local mall and saw maroochy gold for sale at the local hardware store.Grafted ones go for US$18-. I looked for nurseries that send them overseas and came up empty.I wonder if BMc can help?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/custardapple.htm
This link is also of interest for atemoya lovers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk