Author Topic: tastiest Annona fruit  (Read 62700 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: tastiest Annona fruit
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »
Yea, even a total novice like me can see them being different trees.  New growth sourced by Harry's got a reddish tinge
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 05:33:15 AM »

Went to my local market today and pinks mammoths are at their peak and were being snapped up by eager shoppers.A 5lb one is good enough for me but some were just outrageous.They are perhaps the worst looking atemoya of all time, but a heavyweight contender in the taste department.I hope the snap turns out.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »
Hi Mike,

That atemoya sure looks funky and awesome! THX for sharing!

Went to my local market today and pinks mammoths are at their peak and were being snapped up by eager shoppers.A 5lb one is good enough for me but some were just outrageous.They are perhaps the worst looking atemoya of all time, but a heavyweight contender in the taste department.I hope the snap turns out.

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
Mike, what's the ratio of edible flesh on that bad boy?
Tim

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
JF,
Your mystery Annona is definitely not an Ilama.  It appears to be a Temoylata (Atemoya X Custard-Apple hybrid)
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
I have tasted a lot of annonas, including over 400 hybrids that I bred.

Which are the tastier ones?  The order of mention could vary a lot, depending on the genetics and culture of the tree and on the genetics and culture of the taster.

"De gustibus non disputandum est!"

1) Some varieties of Northern-Pawpaw and some varieties of Cherimoya vie for Number One on my list.  Other varieties of those same species I do not like at all!
2) Crassiflora
3) Cawesh
4) Amazon Custard Fruit / Biriba
5) Custard-Apple
6) Ilama
7) Guanabana

Sugar-Apples and Atemoyas and Muvulus are also good. 

Interesting but problematic are Mountain-Soursops and Soncoyas and Cornifolia and many small-and-seedy Rollinia species.

Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Tim if you are considering flesh yield in terms of surface area to volume ratio,seed number and edible quality from core to skin it comes out pretty well.The low seed number and quality of flesh throughout are its advantages over other types but the disfigured skin with knobs and bumps works against mammoths.The one in the photo is more attractively shaped that many oddly formed specimens.BMc pointed out to me that big ones can lose quality and I'll avoid those rare 10lb + ones.He also mentioned illama x atemoya perhaps Guanabanus can shed some light on the correct name of such an annona.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
None of the several hundred Ilama hybrids that I bred produced any fruits for us to taste.  I was very surprised to hear that results of similar crosses over in Australia were good.  I haven't even seen a picture of those new hybrids.  Names?  Depends on the species mix:  Temoylama, Cherilama, Retilama.
Har

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
I had a chance almost two months ago to visit the South Coast Agriculture Field Station's cherimoya grove to do some pruning with mostly CRFG folks from San Diego and Orange County.  Got to try some great fruit, and I brought back some scion wood of a number of varieties.  I've been waiting and waiting for some sign of life from the grafts, and had basically given up on them, when yesterday, I noticed two of them pushing growth!  They are from the El Bumpo and Deliciosa varieties, which have been two of the top cultivars in the station's tastings.  I'm also excited to be getting a Honey Heart cherimoya from Ethan, which seems to be a standout variety in many tastings.

James

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:13 PM »
I do agree with Harry that Ilama does not have as much pulp as a Cherimoya due to the large seeds. They are also inconsistent bearers and the fruit quality can vary from year to year, but for several years, my Genova Red produced large incredible tasting fruits, up to 2 lbs.  Maybe it’s not a tree for everybody and I can’t say I would grow another one due to the productivity problems it had even when I hand pollinated it, but it’s near the top of my  annona list as far as an excellent tasting annona.  Regarding Cherimoyas, they are very nice fruits when properly harvested, but I have purchased them dozens of times at grocery stores, farmers markets and have even had then fresh from the groves in Calif, paying big bucks at times and I stand to my guns when saying that there are better Annonas out there....   
FloridaGreenMan

natsgarden123

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
I have tasted a lot of annonas, including over 400 hybrids that I bred.

Which are the tastier ones?  The order of mention could vary a lot, depending on the genetics and culture of the tree and on the genetics and culture of the taster.

"De gustibus non disputandum est!"

1) Some varieties of Northern-Pawpaw and some varieties of Cherimoya vie for Number One on my list.  Other varieties of those same species I do not like at all!
2) Crassiflora
3) Cawesh
4) Amazon Custard Fruit / Biriba
5) Custard-Apple
6) Ilama
7) Guanabana

Sugar-Apples and Atemoyas and Muvulus are also good. 

Interesting but problematic are Mountain-Soursops and Soncoyas and Cornifolia and many small-and-seedy Rollinia species.

Over 400?   WOW!!!   :)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »
Hi Tomas,

Is that a tricky question?

CHERIMOYAS ARE THE BEST ;) ;) ;)

Have you ever tasted a perfectly grown red sugar apple? They will blow away any Cherimoya I have ever tasted !

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
I do agree with Harry that Ilama does not have as much pulp as a Cherimoya due to the large seeds. They are also inconsistent bearers and the fruit quality can vary from year to year, but for several years, my Genova Red produced large incredible tasting fruits, up to 2 lbs.  Maybe it’s not a tree for everybody and I can’t say I would grow another one due to the productivity problems it had even when I hand pollinated it, but it’s near the top of my  annona list as far as an excellent tasting annona.  Regarding Cherimoyas, they are very nice fruits when properly harvested, but I have purchased them dozens of times at grocery stores, farmers markets and have even had then fresh from the groves in Calif, paying big bucks at times and I stand to my guns when saying that there are better Annonas out there....

It's really hard to compare quality of different fruits, especially when the fruits taste differently from year to year. Even on the same year, and from same tree i find that different fruits from the same tree can taste quite differently. When you add to that fruit quality grown on different soils, for example limestone soil of Florida versus volcanic soil of Hawaii, you're going to get wide differences in quality within the same cultivar, never mind the same species.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »
Fruitlovers I think all sugar apples and most old stable atemoya types under an ongoing fertilise regime are surprisingly consistent on young basaltic krasnozems and deep alluvials.On heavily weathered acid colluvials with excess clay like my place inconsistency is greater with sugar apples excelling and all others having good and bad years.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
Right on Oscar. 

One variable is the amount of leaves in the sun on the same branch as the fruit.
Har

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
Does A. senegalensis fit in anywhere on these lists or just an oddity like soncoya?

-Ethan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:24 AM »

With annonas it is what's inside that counts and ther should be a bit of heart.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »
I agree

Its hard to make comparisons though, as atemoya grows so well here, as does rollinia - my top 2. Soursop are fine, but better up near cairns, cherimoya can be bitter here, but nice down south. I've only really eaten seedy ilama and soncoya. mountain soursop allured me with its amazing perfume, but the flavor was rather fermenting. Sweet sop are never that great here. Reticulata here is pretty rubbish. Sitting down to great cultivars of each at the same time at peak ripeness is an impossibility.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »
BMc I think you are spot on and each in their ideal climate would make a big difference.I have never had a good reticulata but clearly they do exist.I got 2 good seeds and maybe 7 hollow soft seeds out of the big mammoth so I will need to eat 28lbs to get 10 seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:25 AM »
BMc I think you are spot on and each in their ideal climate would make a big difference.I have never had a good reticulata but clearly they do exist.I got 2 good seeds and maybe 7 hollow soft seeds out of the big mammoth so I will need to eat 28lbs to get 10 seeds.

Problem is we all tend to generalize from our own very limited experiences, locale, and climate. But it's a very big fruit world out there!  :)  So what is best, and where it's best, is really hard if not impossible to say.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
Fruitlovers that is a very sensible statement.When you travel you keep on being surprised with fruit you think you knew pretty well.I have certainly learnt alot from members of this forum and had my eyes opened even though I am a newbie.   

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
Ethan,
Annona senegalensis is the "Muvulu" which I did include on my list.
Har

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
Thank you Har, I overlooked it in your previous post.

It is great to have your experience here!

-Ethan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
It sure seems to be a tough question rather like asking what is the best religion.People will always be reminded of the context of their opinion and gaps in their experiences so frank and forthright views are a good thing.If you throw everyones annona experiences together a good picture of which are the best should emerge.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
It sure seems to be a tough question rather like asking what is the best religion.People will always be reminded of the context of their opinion and gaps in their experiences so frank and forthright views are a good thing.If you throw everyones annona experiences together a good picture of which are the best should emerge.

I agree, these kinds of questions are good to ask. You learn a lot from people's different experiences in different locations. But to come to a conclusive answer as to what is really the "best" is practically impossible.
Oscar