Author Topic: Urgent news: African snail  (Read 5038 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Urgent news: African snail
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
I have some very disturbing news this morning, the West African snail has been allegedly found on a property in West Davie Off of 136th ave and 20th st.
Please keep your eye out for these devastating mollusks. If you think you have encountered one call the Dept of agriculture ASAP! DO NOT HANDLE without proper protection as they carry harmful bacteria towards humans!!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent news: African snail
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
Damn!   How did you learn of this?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
Through the mayor of Davie and Lori Parrish property appraiser. Dept of AG out there this morning hunting them down. Finding plenty

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
Lets keep calm. I often have to pick up so that I can throw them against something hard to smash the heavy shelled types.  I have been doing this for 17 years now !  I do wash my hands !

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
If you don't want to step on them or mash them with a big rock, salt works great.  Pour some on the exposed parts.  Use a stick to flip them over & pour some more on the bottom of the foot.  It doesn't take a large amount.  This is my wife's method of dealing with them.  Allow to "cook" a bit.  Pick 'em up with a shovel later & dispose of.

Probably not very "humane" -- their reaction typically reminds me of vampire movies when vampires get caught in sunlight but they are nasty creatures and can probably do a lot of damage to prized plants (I found one in my greenhouse, must have found a small space to sneak in as a baby).  Not a great thing to have around but a lot more pleasant than centipedes <grin>. 

John

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
HIfarm, that does work but suggest the salt be a fertilizer .  I have used triple 16.
the problem is some what under control [but not as good as could be] with the intro of the rosy wolf snail; unfortunately they have killed much of our endangered endemic snails! 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »
HIfarm, that does work but suggest the salt be a fertilizer .  I have used triple 16.
the problem is some what under control [but not as good as could be] with the intro of the rosy wolf snail; unfortunately they have killed much of our endangered endemic snails!

This would be NPK 16 16 16..... That will burn anything wet I know from getting it under my fingernails. Slimey wet snail will start bubbling and die

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
Dozens of snails have been found north and south of the primary property which means they are well established. Spoke with Davie Mayor Judy Paul who has been there all morning with the Dept of AG. Not good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
here is a bit of good news! i think they can be eaten!  just make sure to cook thoroughly!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
ASaffron you are correct .  However they are known to carry disease.  So if mollusk roulette is want you are after. . . . ? 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
ASaffron you are correct .  However they are known to carry disease.  So if mollusk roulette is want you are after. . . . ?

ya but cooking properly takes care of disease!

just like cooking pork
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »

just like cooking pork

I was looking up recipes earlier. I love snails!  Those are some tasty slugs. In the article I read that they should be fed vegetable scraps and such to clean them up a bit. Similar to land crabs I suppose.
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »
haha i bet the boys down at the USDA in Davie are collecting up a nice batch to fry tonight!

they are gonna have an escargot pow-wow.

I hope we can keep these little shit balls in a shell, in check...even if we have to put the garlic and butter to 'em.

just like cooking pork

I was looking up recipes earlier. I love snails!  Those are some tasty slugs. In the article I read that they should be fed vegetable scraps and such to clean them up a bit. Similar to land crabs I suppose.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »
Great, you guys have some other options to deal with them.  Personally, with rat lung disease here, I ain't gonna try them, regardless of how much you might cook them.

John

haha i bet the boys down at the USDA in Davie are collecting up a nice batch to fry tonight!

they are gonna have an escargot pow-wow.

I hope we can keep these little shit balls in a shell, in check...even if we have to put the garlic and butter to 'em.

just like cooking pork

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
This is just another invasive species in South Florida, USA. We've had the lion fish invasion, the  python/boa-constrictor snake invasion, and now the African giant snail invasion. Well, the lion fish are being served in local restaurants. I know of a local restaurant that serves snake meat. So, I suspect that there may be a way to safely cook and consume these giant (protein full?) snails. Perhaps the recipe is in Africa. Every time I hear about this topic, it reminds me of an oldie movie titled 'The Runner,' about a white man who is running for his life, from tribesmen who want to 'correct' him. And, needing nutrition in ordert to keep running, he encounters a giant African snail and eats it raw.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:48:28 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
This is just another invasive species in South Florida, USA. We've had the lion fish invasion, the  python/boa-constrictor snake invasion, and now the African giant snail invasion. Well, the lion fish are being served in local restaurants. I know of a local restaurant that serves snake meat. So, I suspect that there may be a way to safely cook and consume these giant (protein full?) snails. Perhaps the recipe is in Africa. Every time I hear about this topic, it reminds me of an oldie movie titled 'The Runner,' about a white man who is running for his life, from tribesmen who want to 'correct' him. And, needing nutrition in ordert to keep running, he encounters a fiant African snail and eats it raw.

I read that the snakehead fish is also in the USA, it is a delicious fish here and i like it. We also have a restaurant close where they serve snake and other bushmeat, i 've never been there. Bear Grills even ate snake raw, just cut the head of and eat, i don't know which snake though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk