Author Topic: Advice needed for white sapote  (Read 3291 times)

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
Advice needed for white sapote
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
This is probably the ugliest white sapote you have ever seen. But its alive and well. The problem is that is seems to try to avoid growing above the graft. It tries to grow below the graft but i am cutting any new buds in order to make it grow above. The variety is selck and it is quite hard to find another one.
What should i do?
let it grow bellow? or keep doing what i am doing hoping for the best?
here are some photos

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:33:38 AM by giorgosgr. »

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:32:45 AM »
In  case you are wondering about the condition it receives exactly the same water, sunlight and its on the same location as another Mcdill white sapote that its doing great. So i am guesing that the graft was quite small and because of the transplant "shock" it doesnt want to continue growing from above the graft

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed for white sapote
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:30:00 AM »
From you picture's it looks like half or more of scion on top is dead and would expect that the cambium contact is not 100% but it is growing and most likely will start to grow better soon. I would  cover that exposed side of root stock at graft. Best of luck growing it out sometimes white sapote's tend to just set there and not grow much that has happened to me and many other people i know who grow w. sapote. Maybe a little extra care a little fertilizer  ;)I would not let any root stock suckers grow!

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Thank you very much for the advice. I will try to help it as much as i can and i will keep cutting the rootstock suckers

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:04:25 AM »
finally it started pushing above the graft! thanks again for the advice

and because nothing is easy temps are expected to be above 100°F all week ..

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
I'd throw some shade cloth on top at that rate, fresh grafts dry out pretty easy.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »
I'd throw some shade cloth on top at that rate, fresh grafts dry out pretty easy.

Yes i will do it today, also probably i will need to cover it in winter

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:04:25 AM »
Hopefully not for too long, they get too big to cover in a couple years. They're also somewhat cold hardy.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »
Hopefully not for too long, they get too big to cover in a couple years. They're also somewhat cold hardy.

I know that, but i am not so hopefull that this year it will manage to grow a lot in order to be as cold hardy as a healthy tree. Of course the other white sapote and the following years i wont cover it

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 06:41:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advice! Now it is doing amazing with a lot fresh growth!

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »
A trick that some nursery use to avoid sprouts on the rootstock is to cover the rootstock with something like a plastic tube.
The less light the rootstock receive the lower chances it will make buds.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
giorgosgr, looks like your sapote is starting to grow nicely now may you have a big tree in no time ;)

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »
A trick that some nursery use to avoid sprouts on the rootstock is to cover the rootstock with something like a plastic tube.
The less light the rootstock receive the lower chances it will make buds.

it should probably quit trying to grow from the rootstock as it gets more and more adapted. I dont think i will mess with it now that its thriving

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
giorgosgr, looks like your sapote is starting to grow nicely now may you have a big tree in no time ;)

I hope so! it is a beautifull tree and it seems to love the climate here (at least the summer)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »

I know that, but i am not so hopefull that this year it will manage to grow a lot in order to be as cold hardy as a healthy tree. Of course the other white sapote and the following years i wont cover it

I had a very cold year compared to usual at my 9b location with temps down to a sustained -3.3C and my white sapote which was totally uncovered didn't even defoliate. I doubt you will have to cover it there in Greece. It even had some snow on it and no problem!

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »

I had a very cold year compared to usual at my 9b location with temps down to a sustained -3.3C and my white sapote which was totally uncovered didn't even defoliate. I doubt you will have to cover it there in Greece. It even had some snow on it and no problem!

That is good to hear! I have planted both plants on one of the most protected locations i have. My passiflora edulis didnt even defoliate in the most exposed area with a lot of snowfall, so i am really hopefull.

Irakleousm

• Cyprus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »

Giorgos hi, what variety is that?
It seems white sapote is setting foot in Greece, quite aggressively. That is great news.
A friend from Greece sent me 2 white sapote seedlings about 2 months ago (yes, during the lockdown, they were sent bare rooted, took almost 2 weeks to arrive here in Cyprus. Somehow, unexpectedly, I managed to revive both of them).
They are still tiny, only a foot tall, but I'm planning to graft them with some other variety.
Any ideas of where to look for scions in Greece/Europe?

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 04:39:05 PM »

Giorgos hi, what variety is that?
It seems white sapote is setting foot in Greece, quite aggressively. That is great news.
A friend from Greece sent me 2 white sapote seedlings about 2 months ago (yes, during the lockdown, they were sent bare rooted, took almost 2 weeks to arrive here in Cyprus. Somehow, unexpectedly, I managed to revive both of them).
They are still tiny, only a foot tall, but I'm planning to graft them with some other variety.
Any ideas of where to look for scions in Greece/Europe?

Bare rooted and two weeks shipping in cyprus with the summer heat, wow! really lucky they survived. The variety is Selck, i have another one that is Mcdill that is has grown 40cm since May.
I am hopping other members in this forum will have scions, i am also interested in finding other varieties

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
in Europe the only variety i can find easily is mcdill. Some spanish nurseries have Pike variety (but i dont think it is worth it) The amazing varieties they have in usa i have no clue how to get them here

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »
in Europe the only variety i can find easily is mcdill. Some spanish nurseries have Pike variety (but i dont think it is worth it) The amazing varieties they have in usa i have no clue how to get them here

Member "Bush2Beach" has many varieties and sold me scions of nice quality, mind you, he's just up the street in Santa Cruz from me so shipping was not an issue. You would have to pay obscene shipping cost to get them fast, but with 2 day FedEx, anything is possible.  8)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 05:37:22 PM »
I have some cultivars, but cannot send scion at the moment due to covid situation..

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 03:49:30 AM »
I have some cultivars, but cannot send scion at the moment due to covid situation..
Hi Felipe
I am ready to receive your scions next spring when the situation with Covid-19 will be somehow better
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 03:54:30 AM »
Only hand in hand, otherwise the custom will seize the packet. I have a huge tree Pike variety
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:30:11 AM by msk0072 »
Mike

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 04:40:39 AM »
Only hand in hand, otherwise the custom will seize the packet. I have a huge tree Pike variety

Do you have any seeldings or seeds available?

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 07:33:19 AM »

Do you have any seeldings or seeds available?
The season is October or November if the pollination goes well
Mike