Author Topic: Using moringa tree to sun protect sensitive trees over the summer?  (Read 2624 times)

pao

• United States, Arizona, Tucson, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried interplanting morning trees among sun-sensitive tree varieties (such as young Avocados)? They are very fast growing, love the heat.

Moringa trees are frost sensitive, so in my area they would likely die back to the trunk in the winter, but I believe they would start again in the spring if the trunk survived.

I'm planning to growing a few moringa trees from seed and then transplanting between some newly planted avocados to protect them from Tucson summers, until a nearby masquite gets big enough to do the job.

Good idea?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:44:59 AM by pao »

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Re: Using moringa tree to sun protect sensitive trees over the summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:24:14 AM »
Here in Florida they never stop growing. I don t hesitate to cut branches because it grows so fast. However eventually i  am planning to replace them with neem trees. I read that moringa does not fix nitrogen to the soil
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:47:29 AM »
wonderfuit, I thought neem inhibits other plants to grow. Moringa powder foliar spray is supposed to be good for plants. No personal experience with either claim. Just stuff I saw online that I wanted to share and get corrections on.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:07:43 AM »
For inter cropping I would recommend the Moringa,  the nutrient dense leaves can be made into an excellent, folliar fertilizer, or used for mulching,  the leaves have high levels of growth hormones,  and studies with some other Mango related crops ( cashews ) has shown they help with some fungal problems.

Neem also has many good traits but the foliage is much more dense, and would block way too much light,  they seem to grow wider. 

Both these trees are amazing though,  and I would include them on any permaculture project.  Neem is a beautiful tree,  and I have seen it grow in very arid regions on the Island here in the DR.  only care is to get it established and protect from goats,   both trees are multipurpose,  coppice very well,  drought tolerant, and can benefit other crops in one way or the other,  but Moringa does better growing along other plants,  you could plant strategically where it would partially shade a tree you want to protect during harsh summer, and cut it back in winter.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
I'm not sure if you spotted my thread a few days ago but that's exactly what a farmer does near me fir his annona, although it honestly should be receiving much more protection than a single Moringa tree to the east of it.

The Moringas start to explode with growth in late February after the last of the frost/near frost days.

In March. After the moringa tree has had all the dead branches cut off. The annona basically get full sun all day.

Now. The moringa tree has started to develop a canopy. In one month, it will be twice as big.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:28:05 PM »
Yeah nice work on that,  right next to the tree, 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
Thanks Filyu and Tropicdude . Great place to learn
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
I planted some moringa trees to try this and I have a bunch of pineapples planted behind them and then other in full sun.  The pineapples getting shaded by the moringa are all producing so it seems to work well.  I also cut down the branches whenever I fgeel they are getting to big and use place them around the fruit trees and raised beds I have made.  After a few days the leaves have fallen off and the branches can be removed.

I also planted Inga Eudilis which is a Puerto Rican Ice cream bean for the same purpose.  I believe they are nitrogen fixers and as they grow I will cut them back and use for mulch on raised beds I made for growing various vegetables.

pao

• United States, Arizona, Tucson, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I got some morning seeds. Suggestions for planting... right in the ground or transplant them as seedlings? Was thinking two per avocado, one on either side. Do you think they will get large enough being planted this late or will the frost knock them out before they can get to the point of providing shade... avos are 4-5 ft tall. Thanks.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
You could use date palm to protect your trees but you have to put the root system deep in ground. i have 25 feet date palm (given for free) that was planted 6ft deeper than the regular level/way of planting date palm. If you do that you should not have any problem with date palm roots interrupting your plants.

About moringa

It is better to grow moringa in pots then transform them to the ground.
Moh'd

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
Interesting idea - my moringas just produced their first hearty round of seeds, and I have to decide where to plant them. Right now though I'm thinking to plant them around the perimeter or my property to add edible privacy to all the bare spots. The spots to fill are both full sun, and partial shade. My current row is in partial shade though and did fairly well. I'm worried though that the full sun areas are in saltwater/brackish-flood-prone areas, and I'm doubting the Moringas will survive inundation... but it seems worth some experimentation at the moment. They provide pretty cover, with their delicate leaves allowing dappled sun and air to get through, and their white flowers much of the year, plus being able to be cut or bent into virtually any shape you want...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk