Author Topic: Anyone Flowered or Fruited the "Golden Sugar Apple" From Toptropicals  (Read 2968 times)

RareFruit Grower

• lake forest
    • View Profile
Has anyone flowered or fruited the "Golden Sugar Apple, Pineapple Annona" from Toptropicals ?

I hear its just a regular pond apple so looking to see if anyone has fruited this tree or at least flowered it.

Thanks

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Mine has fruit on it now. A little bit bigger than a golf ball. Not expecting much, but will be fun to try this one out.

mangobaby

• Houston
    • View Profile
Yes, I had multiple fruits, it tasted terrible and was not edible. The plant is now history.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
maybe it won't be fun to try this one out

mine is no longer in ground, dug it up and put a Kesar mango in its' place. once in a pot, it started flowering.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:15:19 PM by roblack »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
You might find this thread useful
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2623.0

Looks like a pond apple, so unless your extremely lucky it might not be worth the effort

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Got one as well. It grows pretty decent. No flowers this year. If it doesn't taste good, oh well, I'll wait before removing it, I have too long a list of "To Be removed" as it is to worry about a tree that's actually doing well.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
I think that trying to find a new cultivar with desirable taste and alternative growing conditions in the native zone of a tree is a great endeavor. So if it tastes poorly, give it a yank. If it did morph into a flavorful new cultivar we all win. This is how "new" mango are discovered, no?

If a reasonably flavorful annona that could live north into zone 12 with the characteristics below were found, WOW! that's a tree lots of people would like to have!

From the UF:

Common Names:  Pond Apple, Alligator Apple
Origin: Florida, the Bahamas, Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa
U.S.D.A. Zone: 10A-12B (30°F Minimum)
Plant Type: Large shrub to medium-sized tree
Growth Rate: Moderate
Typical Dimensions:  30-40’ tall x 10-20’  wide
Leaf Persistence: Deciduous, semi-deciduous
Leaf Type: Simple
Flowering Months: Abundant in spring, but can be year-round
Light Requirements:  Medium, high
Salt Tolerance:  Moderate
Drought Tolerance:  Medium
Soil Requirements: Wide 
Nutritional Requirements: Low 
Environmental Concerns: Low   
Regards,

Gary

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Could you use it for root stock?
Quentin

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I have one I got on sale - not fruiting size though. It looks a bit different from the pond apples I bought from another seller, and is growing in a part of the yard that gets very little water, so I would think calling it a glabra might be an oversimplification. Maybe it is something slightly different. It seems to grow in the same conditions that my sugar apples do well in, whereas the pond apples I had all died in those same conditions. (Any time I can get multiple of something on sale, I throw them around in different parts of the yard to see under what conditions they do best - this one I placed near where my other sugar apples appeared happiest.)

So whether it has any kind of stellar taste, that I don't know. As I said, mine is in less than ideal conditions so it's growing steadily but very slowly - it's maybe a year or a year and a half old now, but is smaller than sugar apples I have that age. But I'd doubt if it was really a pond apple, because it gets precious little water and is still doing fine. It also gets attacked by fewer pests than my sugar apples - the spider mites don't seem to go after it at all - so I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it does appear distinct from the other plants I have in my yard in appearance and growth habit. Unless of course they sent me something different than they sent everyone else. I don't put too much stock in what Top Tropicals says - they seem to be rather careless with their labeling and descriptions.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
I have one I got on sale

If you were up this way in Broward, I'd take it.
Regards,

Gary

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
I bought somd seeds in May. Put them in soil, nothing happening yet. I was waiting to see what happens with these seeds before I commit to buying a young plant. Description says they could take up to 6 months to sprout😨.......that isnt great. Hoping it will be faster. Willing to try since the seeds were inexpensive.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Pond-Apples have a wide range, and they do vary a lot in leaf appearance.

They can survive months of doughts, especially in Calcium-rich soils.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk