Author Topic: Sugar apple seed germinated, but has just started browning  (Read 1771 times)

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
Sugar apple seed germinated, but has just started browning
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
Hi,
My sugar apple seed germinated well a few weeks ago, but today suddently started browning.

Probably I have given it too much water today, or moisture was too high. What do you think it is?
Is there a way to save it or it's going to die?
I sprayed some copper sulphate in order to avoid fungus infections.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:19:41 PM by Siyu98 »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar apple seed germinated, but has just started browning
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
Hopefully copper sulfate isn't too much for a newly germinated seed. I wouldn't put any chemicals on it yet. If I were in the situation, I would try to VERY carefully transplant the seed into new, drier soil. It may or may not save it.
I don't know your exact conditions, but make sure to use a spray bottle so your watering isn't too heavy. Are you using a humidity dome or something that's making it too humid? Just try not to give it too much love. ITs very easy to do with seedlings. I did this a lot in the past geminating seeds lol.
Anisha

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »
Probably seedling rot / damping off due to Phytophthora and soil remaining too wet for too long.
Thera

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
Thank you both for your advice, but seedling is getting worse and worse. However, I have some other seeds to germinate. They are about 3 weeks old, do you think are they still viable? If I soak them I can see 4 going to the bottom, so should they be viable?

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
Thank you both for your advice, but seedling is getting worse and worse. However, I have some other seeds to germinate. They are about 3 weeks old, do you think are they still viable? If I soak them I can see 4 going to the bottom, so should they be viable?

The seed casing protects them - I have had sugar apple seeds be viable for more than 6 months. When they aren't viable anymore they shrivel and become light - so if they look normal and have some weight to them, they should be fine. I wouldn't worry. Try again.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Seedlings that show these symptoms are already goners. I suggest you sprout the rest using the ziploc method. Wrap the seeds in moist paper towels (not wet!), put the whole thing in a ziploc bag or anything similar that would seal in the moisture, and put the bag on a heat mat or somewhere warm. After 1 week, check every 2-3 days so as to catch the seeds when they just start to pop open and sow them or else the roots will curl up and it will be a crap shoot when you sow.
And when you sow the seeds, keep the soil moist but not wet and NO fertilizer until you get at least to the 2nd/3rd flush of leaves. These steps work well for me.
Thera

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Ok thank you, I'll do that. I've also read that sugar apple seeds sprout better when they have been out of fruit for a week than when they are fresh. So, if that's really true, I expect more seeds germinating this thime

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk