Author Topic: Some rare variety hardy seedlings  (Read 10586 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Some rare variety hardy seedlings
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
This is very interesting. I was cutting some very small pieces off two Ichangquat seedlings, and I decided to crush up the leaves and noticed they had a different smell.
All the other Ichangquat seedlings have kind of a skunky smell, like mustard seeds or boiled cabbage, that isn't too pleasant, but these two smelled distinctly different. (Perhaps not coincidentally, these two Ichangquat seedlings also seemed to have a visibly different phenotype from most of the others also)

The first Ichangquat seedling displays very dark colored leaves, and the leaf shape is a little more stubby, as well as looks thicker. I hate to speculate, but I really suspect this Ichangquat could be a tetraploid.
The leaf smell of this Ichangquat is beautiful, like the smell of citron leaves and Ichang papeda. It was almost lemon enough that it might be appropriate for culinary uses, it seemed like. Doesn't have any of the skunky smell.

The second Ichangquat seedling is the one I suspect could have been pollinated by citrumelo (and thus, if that's the case, it would be an Ichangquat x citrumelo hybrid) because I observed two small leaves on the plant that displayed bifoliate characteristics, though all the other leaves so far have been monofoliate. The leaf color also looks a bit lighter than the other Ichangquat seedlings.
This one has a slight but distinct smell to its leaves like spearmint or basil, something in the mint family, maybe lemon verbena. There is a very slight skunkiness in the background, but it's less than half as strong as it is in the other Ichangquat seedlings.

I don't think this holds true very often, but I believe in this case leaf smell could be one of the characteristic traits used to help differentiate seedlings, to see if it was a zygotic seed with different genes than the parent.
It's very interesting, if only a slight curiosity.

I've never smelled leaves from any other citrus that were quite like this.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
> I hate to speculate,
 ???  :o

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Socal....your nose must be a lot more sensitive than mine. I find it hard to differentate between the citrus leaves unless it is yuzu or a poncirus hybrid. Valencia has a certian smell as do limes. That is about the extent of my smeller.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
 ::)
for me this story is a little bit confusing: citrus leaves that smell from cabbage to basil and mint? Are you in a sommelier-class and just practizing?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »
for me this story is a little bit confusing: citrus leaves that smell from cabbage to basil and mint?
Apparently Ichang papeda can impart some unusual scents in its hybrids sometimes.
I can send someone a leaf of each if you don't believe me.

Of course they smell like citrus leaves, but just very much more in the direction of something else.

The point was that the two offspring don't smell like they came from the same plant.

Socal....your nose must be a lot more sensitive than mine. I find it hard to differentate between the citrus leaves unless it is yuzu or a poncirus hybrid.
Well, consider that yuzu is supposed to have Ichang papeda ancestry as well.
Probably what gave it its unique smell.

Even though Ichang papeda leaves themselves don't smell that strongly.

There seems to be some unique phenomena that can happen when one makes hybrids.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:55:51 PM by SoCal2warm »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
Lmfao! I think I've heard it all now!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2020, 02:56:14 AM »
Ichang papeda seedling

This is actually my first time growing Ichang papeda from seed (although I've grown several from cuttings before).

Note the complete lack of any signs of winged-petioles in the leaves. All four little leaves coming out of this little seedling are completely single leaves.
This is very surprising to me.

I harvested this seed from a fruit I picked myself from an Ichang papeda tree.

cross-pollination with some other citrus variety would have been impossible, due to the tree growing in Portland and no other citrus trees nearby.

I haven't been growing any other seeds recently, so there is no possibility the seeds got accidentally mixed up.
I can tell you the parent tree the seed came from definitely had big winged petioles with leaves that looked like Ichang papeda, and there was a label marker that read "Citrus ichangensis" below the tree as well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:09:54 AM by SoCal2warm »

Jibro

• Czech
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2020, 05:05:01 AM »
These first leaves are often different from mother plant. You will get typical ichangensis leaves most likely later...

One of my N1 Tri Voss seedlings had similar progress

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Ishang papeda leaves have a strong pleasant smell very lemon like. All bugs love those leaves.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2020, 04:57:34 AM »
Lebmung, are you sure that you have Ichang papeda or Ichang Lemon or something else.
I have been growing three different clones of papeda and they all have leaves smelling like lawn grass with a hint  of parsley, very different from lemon.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
I found a reference (in Chinese) that says that very small juvenile Ichang papeda grown from seed can display single leaves:

The leaves of Yichang oranges occasionally have single leaves, and there are also double single compound leaves, that is, the leaf body or wing leaves are divided into two sections. The Chinese Flora editors observed that the seedlings born after sowing with Yichang orange seeds, at least The 3rd to 7th leaves at the beginning are all single leaves, and the leaves that grow after the 4th or 8th are single compound leaves.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%AE%9C%E6%98%8C%E6%A9%99/5129531?fr=aladdin
(the page seems to list www.iplant.cn as a reference for this)

I still find this very odd, because the leaves display no winged petiole whatsoever, whereas I've grown hybrids of Ichang papeda from seed and they all immediately displayed leaves with at least very small winged petioles.

The little Ichang papeda has now grown two more leaves, and in addition to that one more tiny new leaflet. The very newest tiny leaflet is finally displaying signs of a symmetrically sized winged petiole (fully characteristic of Ichang papeda)
All the other six older leaves are all completely single, no sign of any petiole.

Here's a picture: