Author Topic: Cherimoya not putting out new growth  (Read 520 times)

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Cherimoya not putting out new growth
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »
I purchased a Pierce cherimoya, and it arrived in the mail about 5 weeks ago. In that time, all of the new growth has turned a light brown, and fallen off with a gentle touch. The established/full sized leaves are perfectly fine though. The issue I'm having with the tree is that, in the 5 weeks I've had it, it has yet to produce more new leaves since the previous new growth turned brown and fell off. All of the other annonas that I've had for a similar amount of time are either putting out new leaves, or flowering, meanwhile this one has done neither. The tree doesn't seem to be dying, but it's also not thriving either. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya not putting out new growth
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 12:38:25 AM »
Stress from transport I think. My cherimoya took a very long time, it didn’t grow and then after a while, it started slowly yellowing up it’s leaves and dropping them from bottom to top. After the last leaf dropped, it started growing on the areas the leaves were attaches to the stem.
I think I should’ve just stripped it since true annonas have their buds under the leaf stem, so they can only grow after the leaf falls
Cheers!

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya not putting out new growth
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 07:05:30 PM »
That's what I'm hoping. I stripped a couple leaves and they had white nubs underneath them, which I believe are the new leaves? Correct me if I'm wrong though, as I'm still new to annonas.