Author Topic: Help me decide which mango to plant  (Read 2212 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Help me decide which mango to plant
« on: July 28, 2021, 08:50:51 AM »
I want to replace the Cogshall I just sent to tree heaven.  Looking for a dwarf/semi-dwarf due to space constraints.  I already have Pickering and as much as I love that variety and as tempting as it is to plant another, I'm feeling bold and want something else.  My preference is to avoid the sugar bomb type fruits and definitely prefer firmer mangos.  I'm thinking an Angie.  Anyone want to share their opinion?  Thank you.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Help me decide which mango to plant
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »
Two varieties to consider:  Honey Kiss, which everybody seems to like.  And Neelam, which has a stronger flavor and sometimes tastes like carrot.  But those who love it swear by it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:06:02 AM by johnb51 »
John

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »
Well, since I'm not big on carrots, or mangos that taste like carrots, Neelam sounds like a pass.
Honey Kiss. . .are we talking sugar bomb?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
I didn't find HK to be a sugar bomb, certainly no sweeter than Pickering.  It's pleasant and refreshing with nothing objectionable about it, and it's firm but juicy.  It's also a late-summer mango that would compliment Pickering well.
John

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »
Plant some seeds

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
I would be targeting an earlier or later season variety to compliment the Pickering. Both of John's recommendations fit that bill for later. A very early season variety like Dwarf Hawaiian, Guava, Rosa or Rosigold might also give you multiple crops sometimes. All of those, except Guava, are very manageable trees. Rosa's profile on Tropical Acres seems to especially fit your desires https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/rosa. The fiber in Rosa mentioned on that page is also described by Har in a YouTube video (the video's topic is lesser-known mangoes he enjoys); he says it's not objectionable (dental floss-like) fiber, from what I recall.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
John

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »
The Honey Kiss has my attention.  How big does this baby want to grow?  Can it be maintained to around 10 or 12 feet tall?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
It puts out small branches and leaves.  I think you can easily keep it at 10 to 12 feet.  Here's a description.  https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/honey-kiss  Although the fruit tends to be smaller than Pickering, it hangs in clusters so thinning would probably increase fruit size.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:06:53 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »

Honey Kiss is a much better mango than Pickering, in terms of flavor. Equally productive as well.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »

Honey Kiss is a much better mango than Pickering, in terms of flavor. Equally productive as well.
It doesn't have any coconut taste notes so the flavor is more balanced.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »
What you decide to plant and what is available are two different things. Where do you buy a Honey Kiss? Anyone see this tree near Carbo?

Truly Tropical Guide to Mango Varieties- 'Honey Kiss'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QuFA_3myGU
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:17:32 AM by zands »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
You should try a Neelam and honey kiss before you plant either one.
Just becasue John or Billy Bob says it tastes like a carrot really doesn't matter.
Both are compact trees that you are looking for. I really enjoyed Pickering this
past year and I am grateful I have a good tree. I don't like coconut and allot
of people say it tastes like coconut. If I went by what others say I would have
never planted a pickering. Neelam has a spicy flavor I really like. You might also.
In 4-5 years from now if you finally try a Neelam or a honey kiss and you really like it
and planted another tree.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:18 PM »
What's with the attacks?  I don't get it.  The guy asked for help, and I offered two suggestions.  If I hadn't personally experienced the carrot flavor, I wouldn't mention it.  Also I don't know anything about the availability of Honey Kiss.  It was available when I and a hundred other people planted it.  Go ahead and offer your own recommendations.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:22:26 PM by johnb51 »
John

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 12:26:02 PM »

That's quite an endorsement, considering how delish the Pickering mangos can be.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »
What you decide to plant and what is available are two different things. Where do you buy a Honey Kiss? Anyone see this tree near Carbo?

Truly Tropical Guide to Mango Varieties- 'Honey Kiss'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QuFA_3myGU
Yes, availability is more of an issue than I anticipated.  Angie and Honey Kiss are both MIA.  Anyone know any growers out my way who has some available?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
When I got my Honey Kiss, I know it was produced by Zill so I would imagine they're still grafting them.  Which retailer might have them, I have no clue.  Also just for the record, I would always recommend that someone taste a mango first before planting and not take my word on anything.  Another suggestion (I hope I don't get attacked), Alex at Tropical Acres Farms might be willing to graft whatever variety you like.  He mentioned on a recent video that he'll be grafting now that he has picked all the fruit for the season.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:00:16 PM by johnb51 »
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 01:45:28 PM »
Carbo, you probably could/should have just top worked your Cogshall (unless you didn't like the tree location or something); scions are usually much easier to come by than trees.  Starting over with a 3, 7...whatever gallon is at least a few years of waiting for a tree to grow to production size. Top working a mature tree will have you back in mangoes in a season or two, and you can graft a few different types in to see which you prefer, then hack off whatever you don't want.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 02:20:38 PM »
If you want bold and firm try sweet tart. It’s relatively compact. I have an 8 yr old tree and it’s about 10ft tall.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
If you want bold and firm try sweet tart. It’s relatively compact. I have an 8 yr old tree and it’s about 10ft tall.
My ST is same as yours. Manageable without much effort. Though I have seen people here call it a vigorous grower. Perhaps their STs were grafted onto different root stocks.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
My ST is same as yours. Manageable without much effort. Though I have seen people here call it a vigorous grower. Perhaps their STs were grafted onto different root stocks.
I think OP wanted to avoid super sweet which sweet tart could be.  He could pick it when it still has more tart than sweet but I assume that variety will fit the bill for sugar bomb.

Malika is a good variety that has stayed relatively small for me and is not crazy sweet, hard to pick since it is best picked green but will reward you if you time it right.  There are several other varieties considered mediocre by some but are pretty decent in my opinion, stays small and produce a lot.  Chok Anon is one.  Nor just watch the reaction this suggestion generates :)

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
I'm starting to think I may not have a choice of what I plant.  I have contacted several nurseries in my area and unless I'm interested in a Tommy Atkins there is little available at the moment.  :P

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
What's with the attacks?  I don't get it.  The guy asked for help, and I offered two suggestions.  If I hadn't personally experienced the carrot flavor, I wouldn't mention it.  Also I don't know anything about the availability of Honey Kiss.  It was available when I and a hundred other people planted it.  Go ahead and offer your own recommendations.
I wasnt attacking anyone and sorry you thought I was. I actually planted a Honey Kiss and
a Neelam this year. They are great reccomendations. It just makes sense to try the fruit first
and pick your favorite.  The guy has room for one small tree. I personally don't taste coconut
in any mangos including Coconut Cream. Everyone has different tastes. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 04:55:49 PM »
I'm starting to think I may not have a choice of what I plant.  I have contacted several nurseries in my area and unless I'm interested in a Tommy Atkins there is little available at the moment.  :P

Mangos are in big demand this year and I have seen plenty of nurseries selling small
trees in big pots and charging more money. Be Patient you will get what you want.
You may have to drive a little farther

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
If you live in southeast Florida this is where you go you're not going to get a bigger 7 or 15 gallon tree then you will hear. Or you could go to Facebook Marketplace and get something that is potentially mislabeled
My advice plan a Sugarloaf the term sugar bomb is overdone most mangoes are sweet that's why people like them

https://www.facebook.com/523142497811868/posts/3897844540341630/

7 gallon dwarf Hawaiian planted this time last year.Where you going to find a very slow growing dwarf Hawaiian that big

7 gallon Dot second year in the ground. And this was the only one I could find East Coast West Coast the whole state of Florida.

Where are you going to find a Karen Michelle this big. I was at Zill high performance talking to the nice lady's they said they only have it in 3 gallon

Little Gem planted in the ground late last summer

Honey kiss planted Last Summer
Must I continue where did all these trees have in common they come from Truly Tropical Chris.
Where do I live in 9B

This is a tree that Tropical Acres farms. Got for me from Zill high performance. Facebook says it was two years ago but it seems like three to me
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:10:10 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry