Author Topic: Got a pickering mango and makok sapodilla!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6573 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Got a pickering mango and makok sapodilla!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
I'm so happy! i wish i could post pics but my darn connector cable is missing and of course they couldnt use a simple mini-usb. I got 2 three gallon trees from PIN, a pickering and a makok, and they look as if i just picked them out of the nursery myself this morning! They are really healthy and simply amazing!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Got a pickering mango and makok sapodilla!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Congrats, plan is to keep them in a container for a very long time? I would suggest planting them up in air pruning containers under a plastic catch for water (if they are kept indoors).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Congrats, plan is to keep them in a container for a very long time? I would suggest planting them up in air pruning containers under a plastic catch for water (if they are kept indoors).

Long time? how about forever?  ;D

Thanks for the suggestion.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
congrats!

I have both varieties growing in pots.  Theyve fruited nicely for me so far...but I never realized how important it is to prune the canopy of these trees....and to also thin out the fruits of

I hope u get fruits soon!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
congrats!

I have both varieties growing in pots.  Theyve fruited nicely for me so far...but I never realized how important it is to prune the canopy of these trees....and to also thin out the fruits of

I hope u get fruits soon!

THanks!

So can anyone give me a general estimate of when i should be able to expect fruiting?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
by next summer if you're lucky, but usually it's best to not let them fruit at such a small size.

in your case though, I'd understand if you let them fruit...that's what I did, because I'm trying to keep them small, and don't mind if I stunt the trees growth, or if it makes a very small crop.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
by next summer if you're lucky, but usually it's best to not let them fruit at such a small size.

in your case though, I'd understand if you let them fruit...that's what I did, because I'm trying to keep them small, and don't mind if I stunt the trees growth, or if it makes a very small crop.

You know, there's no such thing as a "very small crop" of mangoes or sapodilla where i live...

THis is what i'm thinking. If they flower, i let them fruit. If it stunts them, then less work for me.  :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
You know, there's no such thing as a "very small crop" of mangoes or sapodilla where i live...

THis is what i'm thinking. If they flower, i let them fruit. If it stunts them, then less work for me.  :)

A couple of weeks ago I got in and planted Pickering and Mallika condo mangos too from PIN, in my greenhouse.  As suggested, they are in root tip pruning pots called RootBuilder, a Rootmaker product.  Another product you can use is MicroKote.   Carlos has a fine YouTube ditty on the success he had with Mamey in MicroKote treated conventional pots.  The Pickering is already sending off 4 huge foliar flushes with leaves bigger than the original.  That is a good thing.  ;) 

Here's a Pickering fresh out of the PIN box and fresh into the pot.  Yes, this is the second time ordering and I don't know how PIN does it.   Their stock is always tops and the packing is second to none.  Behind the Pickering is a PIN Oro Negro planted last year and holding 8 big, beautiful cados.

Being in NY, where are you keeping them?

Hurray for us!
Mark
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:28:43 AM by Mark in Texas »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
How exciting for you, Plantlover13!  Wishing you luck. ..we are in the same boat as you. .. pots for life!

I think I need to repot my Cogshall from Excalibur soon and have seen the earlier suggestion of Superoots or Rootbuilder pots. Seems easy enough but I guess a little pricey for a pot. What about fabric pots? And are there name brands I can look for?

But my main concern is the soil mix. I started doing some Forum research a while back and saw reference to Al's Gritty Mix, which seemed promising. Any suggestions would be welcome, but I know I have more research to do.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
Good choice on Pickering being that it is dwarfish. Do you have a backyard to put it outside in the summer? Good luck!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
Good luck! Here is inspirational photo for you sapodilla container growers.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

Love it!  I guess those are the fabric pots I've heard about (never seen one before)

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
Good choice on Pickering being that it is dwarfish. Do you have a backyard to put it outside in the summer? Good luck!

Yes i have a backyard.

QUestion, i have what seems to be some sort of malformation on the mango tree, not really sure how to describe it. THere is a little part bulging out that loo'ks like a small chunk is missing, ugh. I wish my camera was working. I don't know if i can describe it properly, but can anyone understand what i'm describing?

Also, should i repot now? the winter is, well, here, so is it a good idea to put them in a larger pot?

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

QUestion, i have what seems to be some sort of malformation on the mango tree, not really sure how to describe it. THere is a little part bulging out that loo'ks like a small chunk is missing, ugh. I wish my camera was working. I don't know if i can describe it properly, but can anyone understand what i'm describing?

It is hard to know without a photo, but does it look like a bend or break at the bottom of the trunk? If so, it is likely to be the graft union and is perfectly normal.

Richard

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »

It is hard to know without a photo, but does it look like a bend or break at the bottom of the trunk? If so, it is likely to be the graft union and is perfectly normal.

Richard

NO, i see where i think the graft union is, a little ring in the trunk where the bottom is a little thicker than the top. THis is well above that.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
Yes i have a backyard.

So you're growing this in NYC how?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
Yes i have a backyard.

In a pot with soil i guess  ;)

I hope Sinterklaas brings you a growlight this year and then Santa can bring the greenhouse. :P

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
Yes i have a backyard.

In a pot with soil i guess  ;)

I hope Sinterklaas brings you a growlight this year and then Santa can bring the greenhouse. :P

Yup.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »

Yes i have a backyard.

Also, should i repot now? the winter is, well, here, so is it a good idea to put them in a larger pot?

Malformation-- put up a photo when you are able
Repotting?  also known as up-potting (into larger pot)      >>>>>>    I would gently lift the plant out of the pot to see if it is root bound in a big way. If it is not then wait until the spring to to think about it. If it is root bound then consider up-potting. Because the roots want to go somewhere and they have no more places to go

Pine Island sends out quality stuff so it is probably not rootbound

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
Here are the pics of the trees:

And here is the "deformation" on the pickering, what is it?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

Photo number one shows both trees looking good

The deformation looks old and healed over. Does not look like a fresh wound. You can send photo to Pine Island and ask what it is and say you are a bit dismayed by it. Let them explain it. They are good people.

But as I said, it looks healed over with protective tissue  and not effecting plant health. It will be less noticeable next year and in 4 years you will forget it is even there. It will be smoothed out by thicker bark growth. That's my opinion. Mango trees are pretty darn strong so don't fret too much. I planted out a few seeds last year in bad soil and they just took off. I would love to make a mango hedge and keep it cropped at 5 ft high. All done with seedling (non-grafted) mangoes.

If I had the space my mango hedge would have been already started. You want a seedling mango as a comparison to your Pickering?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:42:59 PM by zands »

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »

Photo number shows both trees looking good

The deformation looks old and healed over. Does not look like a fresh wound. You can send photo to Pine Island and ask what it is and say you are a bit dismayed by it. Let them explain it. They are good people.

But as I said, it looks healed over with protective tissue  and not effecting plant health. It will be less noticeable next year and in 4 years you will forget it is even there. It will be smoothed out by thicker bark growth. That's my opinion. Mango trees are pretty darn strong so don't fret too much. I planted out a few seeds last year in bad soil and they just took off. I would love to make a mango hedge and keep it cropped at 5 ft high. All done with seedling (non-grafted) mangoes.

If I had the space my mango hedge would have been already started. You want some seedling mangoes?? hahah

Thanks.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »

Congrats plantlover13, very exciting fruit tree acquisitions. You're not alone, there are others in a similar Temperature Zone as yours, growing tropical fruit, find out what different people are doing, and adopt what suits you best, then you'll have the fruit you desire, I commend you for your determination. I hope you get fruit soon, good luck.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »

Congrats plantlover13, very exciting fruit tree acquisitions. You're not alone, there are others in a similar Temperature Zone as yours, growing tropical fruit, find out what different people are doing, and adopt what suits you best, then you'll have the fruit you desire, I commend you for your determination. I hope you get fruit soon, good luck.

thanks!

Looking forward to eating mangoes and sapodilla soon  ::)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
Looking forward to eating mangoes and sapodilla soon  ::)

Where are you going to keep them?

What does a sapodilla taste like, anyone?  Texture, taste......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk