Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 285870 times)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I'm interested in three varieties that you reviewed so it was very helpful, especially the CC review.  Originally, I felt that it might be to buttery/creamy for my taste buds from other descriptions I have read, but now it sounds perfect!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
I think some of the l eople saying Mahachanok is b l and nay be eatinf fruit from young trees or some other issue.  While it is not the very best ( although some rank it their best), it is an outstanding mango.

While I agree Orange Sherbert is a very clean tree and fruit, so is Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream for that matter.   While the Orange Sherbert in the prior puctures are smaller than Lemon Zest,  I have seen trees that produce fruit every bit as large as Lemon Zest.   Every Orange Sherbert I have had are softer in texture and goes overripe faster. Oh, for those wondering and hoping, dont expect to see trees available for at least a few years at best....and thats IF....
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 06, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »
Any word on when and if Fruit Punch will be propagated?  Any info on its disease resistance or production? 

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »
[quote author=BestDay link=topic=6398.msg154503#msg154503 date=140730128rambling post from my phone, you shohld find I fo using search feature. ny word on when and if Fruit Punch will be propagated?  Any info on its disease resistance or production? 

Bill
[/quote]

I have posted a number of times in multiple threads....to avoid another ramb
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:43 AM »
I did try the search feature and did find some info on it but none regarding disease resistance and production. Any info?

Bill

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
Rob said they are not in a hurry to release Fruit Punch. It would probably not be available until 2016 ... IF it becomes available.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 07, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
I'm sorry guys, another disappointing year for my Maha's - bland,
somewhat sweet but not really, subtly floral but barely, just blah.....

I don't know if it's my soil, my desert HOT climate, the age of the trees - 3 (Rob!),
or what.......I bought a second tree last year just because of the hype
and hope I would enjoy them.....sigh......guess we'll see how that one produces
next year....

And don't know what I can add to the mix.  I've added minors and plenty of phosphorous
and potassium....calcium.....

I know, I know......"patience, grasshopper..."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrry

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
Mangofang, I think you are over watering and that may be why the blah flavor. Mine are anything but blah. Possibly you may not have in enough direct sunlight. If the plant heats up it will kick out a lot of sugars and flavor. The more water they get the more they tend to remain on the cool side and do not get as sweet. same thing with nectarines and peaches too.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
One other possibility I just thought of is maybe too much nutrients. I know mine tend to spend a fair amount of time in the chlorotic stage where nutrients are not being consumed as well as they should and are partially locked out due to high PH. Based on what I have read about mangos I am pretty sure this is contributing to increased flavor and sugars.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Another Mango that i enjoyed today!
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
I ate my last Edgar mango today and found it to be even better than the first! Nice, melting, fiberless and delicious fruit!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Another Mango that i enjoyed today!
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
smooth looking, Ed.....

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
You still had that from what I sent you?
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
Yes. I put it in the fridge after it looked ready to eat It was better than the first one. That was the last one I had left. I tried to pace,myself!

Ed

You still had that from what I sent you?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Looks yummy!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »
It was definitely a good one!
Ed

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
I give Edgar a +++++ vote too

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
mangomaniac - I don't think it is overwatered.  In fact it gets less water than some of my other mangoes. - plus, my soil is sandy...I'm not sure you CAN overwater...and it gets plenty of sun where it is planted....now the ph thing could be a factor, although the other mangoes don't seem to suffer at all being in the same situation, and I really don't have the desire to do what I'd need to do to change that.  I'td have to be a case of acidifying the soil - I don't know .....just seems like too much trouble.

I think I will add nothing to the soil for the next couple years, give it some time (nod to Rob!) to mature a bit and then judge what I will do with it.  It's just such a damned gorgeous mango.

(sorry for the semi-hijacking of the thread....)

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2014, 12:40:43 AM »
Gary - is anybody else fruiting Mahachanok in California?   It may be young tree issue, may be something else, or maybe youjust have no taste buds...just kidding.   Until someone else confirms that they have fruited Mahachanok in California with the same results,  its hard to tell if its isolated or the outside chance that maybe its a variety that does not produce well, taste-wise, in California.
- Rob

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2014, 01:02:29 AM »
I live in cerritos , california and my maha did fruit this year.  Its a young tree (around 3 years) in a pot.  It gave me 3 decent fruits with 3 splits this year.  Flavor is quite sweet and juicy but has an almost minty/juicyfruit aftertaste.  I did harvest the fruits a but early since they were splitting so it may not be optimal in terms of maximal flavoring.  But i woildnt say its bland.
Robert

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »
I live in cerritos , california and my maha did fruit this year.  Its a young tree (around 3 years) in a pot.  It gave me 3 decent fruits with 3 splits this year.  Flavor is quite sweet and juicy but has an almost minty/juicyfruit aftertaste.  I did harvest the fruits a but early since they were splitting so it may not be optimal in terms of maximal flavoring.  But i woildnt say its bland.

Thanks, and that a young tree in a pot.  Do you plan on putting it into the ground?   I understand,  even in Florida,  its not everyone's favorite but its not cause its bland or poor quality/taste.  Its more like Carrie,  many people love it, say its their favorite and its tadte is second to none.  To me, if Carrie was the only mango available,  I would most likely not like mangoes.
- Rob

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2014, 04:37:09 AM »
Gary, have you tried adding manure or compost to the soil? IMO if you have a sandy soil, manure or compost helps to improve the soil quality, with the consequence of a  healthier tree and higher fuit quality. I have noticed, that trees with manure perform much better compared to trees that only recieve mineral fertilizers.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2014, 06:40:49 AM »
Gary, have you tried adding manure or compost to the soil? IMO if you have a sandy soil, manure or compost helps to improve the soil quality, with the consequence of a  healthier tree and higher fuit quality. I have noticed, that trees with manure perform much better compared to trees that only recieve mineral fertilizers.

depending on the kind of manure you use and its state of composting,  it could actually be detrimental to the mango tree.due to high nitrogen content.
- Rob

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2014, 11:37:43 PM »
Gary- what was your source for the maha tree? I wonder if there is any variation in fruit quality/flavor between the different maha suppliers.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »
Gary if your maha's smell a bit weird then you 've got the same ones we have here.

Adding potassium will make mango's sweet and as i posted before from mr. Duzon's website they can stand much potassium. He recommends very much 0-0-60 but if you want to play it safe then you can go for organic potassium like molasses from sugarcane, woodash from hardwood.
I have vinasse-kali now but maybe you can't find that in the usa.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2015, 08:34:57 PM »
Valencia Pride - local commercial crop

When I noticed nice looking Valencia Pride mangos showing up at Don Victorio's Market (7504 S Dixie Hwy, West Palm Beach, FL 33405) in May - big ones for just $0.75 -  I couldn't believe my good luck.  They softened up as expected and when cut, the flesh was the right beautiful yellow shade.  Unfortunately this early crop is totally WASHED OUT in the flavor department. It had a mild, watered-down flavor with just a touch of the cirtus-pineapple lusciousness that last year's late summer crop had. Not a legitimate mango. Hoping for improvement in the later crop with more time on the tree!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk