Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283571 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »
E-4

What can i say, this continues to be a top of the heap fruit.  This mango has a base flavor similar to that of peach cobbler but without any distinct specific fruit flavor all the while you taste the distinct coconut flavor.   It is not a sickly sweet coconut oil flavor like that of Coconut Cream but instead a well balanced mango that is very sweet but a hint of acidity to keep it from being cloying.  Texture is just perfect, juicy and tender yet firm enough not to be soft or mushy.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:33:44 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Cotton Candy

Uh oh.  Look out ladies and gentlemen,  put the children in their rooms.  There may be a new sheriff in town.  This mango is a Keitt crossed with Gary.  If you like high acidic levels in your mango read no further.  At first bite you taste a the flavor of a firm but tamed down Gary (no distinct pina colada flavor) and then all hell breaks loose and here comes the flavor of, yes, I am not kidding, the flavor of cotton c andy on through the finish.  I have eaten a few of these and the flavor profile is consistent.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:34:55 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 25, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »
Cotton Candy

Uh oh.  Look out ladies and gentlemen,  put the children in their rooms.  There may be a new sheriff in town.  This mango is a Keitt crossed with Gary.  If you like high acidic levels in your mango read no further.  At first bite you taste a the flavor of a firm but tamed down Gary (no distinct pina colada flavor) and then all hell breaks loose and here comes the flavor of, yes, I am not kidding, the flavor of cotton c andy on through the finish.  I have eaten a few of these and the flavor profile is consistent.

you know where to find me!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »
Cotton Candy

I use to say to myself I never want to live past a hundred because the quality of life would be terrible....I think the Zill dynasty of mangoes has given me a reason to reach a ripe old age of 125.

I Could be in a nursing home with a diaper on in a vegetable state as long as a Hot Nurse is bringing me these Hot Mangoes!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:05:19 AM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
Rob, you're going to make us crazy.
John

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
I actually thought it was a joke at first.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »
Lemon zest comment:
About seven days ago I had the last lemon zest off my tree. It has lots more of the orange flavor throughout the flesh. Usually this is most noticeable near the skin when you scrape the final flesh off.

Maybe lemon zest gets more of an orange flavor in the last third of the harvest? Maybe it gets more orange flavor as the tree gets older? Maybe drier years produce it?

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
Grass flats, the Fairchild is a very good mango, but I didn't find it to be complex or spicy. It had kind of concentrated mango flavor (good thing), but I didn't detect other flavors in it. But it was up against some stiff competition on the complexity scale! I've never had Carrie, so can't comment on that. I have decided on Maha for my yard.  I considered Fairchild - liked it, but the spread out fruiting season and its unique flavor of the Maha made it the winner. I'm going to topwork the Angie.

The E-4 and cotton candy sound great!

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

Rob - what is the E-4? and Where were you fortunate enough to try these newer crosses? 

E-4

What can i say, this continues to be a top of the heap fruit.  This mango has a base flavor similar to that of peach cobbler but without any distinct specific fruit flavor all the while you taste the distinct coconut flavor.   It is not a sickly sweet coconut oil flavor like that of Coconut Cream but instead a well balanced mango that is very sweet but a hint of acidity to keep it from being cloying.  Texture is just perfect, juicy and tender yet firm enough not to be soft or mushy.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:46:48 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
E-4 was available at the PBRFC lecture in June, that Gary Zill hosted.  There were lots of heavyweights there that night, but E-4 was definitely in contention for top prize. 
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16276.0
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

Rob - what is the E-4? and Where were you fortunate enough to try these newer crosses? 

E-4

Both the E -4 and Cotton Candy are part of the Gary Zill breeding program.   As for where i got them from, sometimes its who you know and being in the right place at the right time.

Highly doubtful the E -4 will ever be propagated. If I had to guess I would say there may be a chance the Cotton Candy is propagated in the not so distant future.
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »

E-4

Both the E -4 and Cotton Candy are part of the Gary Zill breeding program.   As for where i got them from, sometimes its who you know and being in the right place at the right time.

Highly doubtful the E -4 will ever be propagated. If I had to guess I would say there may be a chance the Cotton Candy is propagated in the not so distant future.

Bully - Why would the E-4 not be propagated?  It sounds delicious and numerous mango snobs rate it highly.  Where did it fail within its trials?  How long do the trees undergo evaluation before deciding to release them or not?  Thanks.
- Marley

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 28, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
For now, E-4 is not being propagated due to various ripening issues.  It is known to have some issues over the years in addition to being difficult to k ow the right time to harvest.

These mangoes are observed for many years before final decisions are made.  As you can see, some are still pending/up in the air as to being propagated.   Who knows, 3 years from now something could change and warrant its propagation.   There are many factors that go into the decision,  not just taste.  For instance,  on taste alone Karen Michelle would be propagated however it is a consistent shy bearer.  This reason alone will prohibit the propagation of it.

If I had to guess, i would say Kathy and Cotton Candy are the next possible releases on the horizon.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 29, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »
Lemon zest comment:
About seven days ago I had the last lemon zest off my tree. It has lots more of the orange flavor throughout the flesh. Usually this is most noticeable near the skin when you scrape the final flesh off.

Maybe lemon zest gets more of an orange flavor in the last third of the harvest? Maybe it gets more orange flavor as the tree gets older? Maybe drier years produce it?

Zands,

I too have noticed that my LZs have tasted more like lemon candy this year, than like orange sherbert from previous year. I have been picking them early due to worries of mango thieves. But my last 4 I will leave on the tree to see if it will attain the orange flavor that blew me away last time. It has been raining a lot here in the last month. But essentially no rain the previous two or three. And, I'll try the tip about scraping the flesh with the spoon... Thanks!

E

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
Lemon zest comment:

Zands,

I too have noticed that my LZs have tasted more like lemon candy this year, than like orange sherbert from previous year. I have been picking them early due to worries of mango thieves. But my last 4 I will leave on the tree to see if it will attain the orange flavor that blew me away last time. It has been raining a lot here in the last month. But essentially no rain the previous two or three. And, I'll try the tip about scraping the flesh with the spoon... Thanks!

E

By scraping I mean you have cut two hemispheres off the mango. You scoop out with a spoon and eat. When you get to the skin scrape and scrape it to get that orangey goodness.                   the seed flesh is another matter

My last LZ that was orangey taste throughout had an orange exterior. It was dead ripe but no mushy at all. The skin was mango type of orange color all over

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 29, 2015, 08:31:15 AM »
Why this is rehashed in so many posts is beyond me.  Pick any fruit early is going to give you just that, a fruit that did not ripen properly and tadtes like it was not ripened properly.   Also as has been posted, the longer LZ hangs on the tree the more blend of orangey lemon you get and the better it is.

Many are either too anxious or tpo concerned of "theft" by either two or four legged creatures in that they dont let fruit hang on the tree long enough.  I am not saying it should be fully soft and ready to eat or let it fall to be ripe, but there is a stage the mangoes should be left on the tree before they are picked.  To a degree, every mango is different and you have to know each mango's proper "sweet spot" stage before picking.  Remember,  almost all here are growing for personal consumption,  not commercial distribution.
- Rob

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Following rehashed with moist lip's with a heart full of envy for all those who can fruit Mango's ;) 8) Mangoless in A.G.-California ::)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 30, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
Phoenix/Fenix

Here is another mango I will be wating on its release with bated breath.   Its a Dot seedling,  28-18, and oh man, can you say sugar overload.  I was lucky enough to eat only half of this fruit (was shared by its owner).  The flesh color was that of a perfect Dot but flavor put it in a different class.  Far sweeter than any Dot, maybr far sweeter than any other mango.  Funny thing is, it wasny cloying like Coconut Cream.   No cola syrup ot goddess juice, whatever that is, but what an over all possibly perfect mango, IMO.  Sorry acidic lovers, this one again may not be for you.  Just a beautifully complex intensely sweet mango.  I scraped the skin and no resin component.  I wish i had another to further sample and describe its flavors.  I think i spent the entire time while eating the half just enjoying it.

edited to make zands the almighty happy.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:50:33 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:22 PM »
What is the most resinous mango without or with very little fiber?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
Phoenix/Fenix

Here I s another mango I will be wating on its release with baited breath.   

It's bated breath and champing at the bit. Its also jibe, not jive as in, "my information does not jibe with yours" .....

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
Phoenix/Fenix

Here I s another mango I will be wating on its release with baited breath.   

It's bated breath and champing at the bit. Its also jibe, not jive as in, "my information does not jibe with yours" .....

WTF are you babbling about now (yes, cell phones auto-correct at times you dont want them to)?
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »
Quote from: zands
Its also jibe

As long as we're correcting people, the word you are looking for is "it's."

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
tree characteristics of Phoenix?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:52 PM »
Its also jibe

Just don't let me catch you chomping at the bit any time soon.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 30, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
Its also jibe

Just don't let me catch you chomping at the bit any time soon.

Bad example. "Chomping at the bit" has been accepted since the 1930's and I believe has made its way into the Oxford English dictionary. "Champing" is the more formal term and arguable more proper but chomping is used interchangeably these days.

Better example would be something like "I could care less" which most people use as opposed to "I couldn't care less" which is the proper phrase. Another pet peeve of mine is nauseous vs nauseated.