Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283569 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #800 on: June 11, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
It’s amazing! I can’t believe it isn’t brought up more on this forum. After tasting COC/CAC the other night, I’m considering top working my LZ tree instead of having to spray my trees with fungicides.

Simon

How good is it? #11 on my all time greats list.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 15, 2020, 09:31:30 PM »
Skhan was kind enough to give me some mangos to sample: Cac, Angie, and Cogshall.  Cogshall had a mild, very pleasant flavor--a classic Florida mango flavor with hints of peach.  Fiber was medium with some strings, but not a problem.  Angie was more flavorful with a greater acidic component and some resin flavor near the skin. When I had my Angie tree, I think I was waiting too long to eat them and off-flavors would kick in.  Angie is completely fiberless.

Okay.  Cac was the revelation in this group.  I found it similar to Maha Chanok but with a more complex and richer flavor and more acid balance.

Update 6/16:  I ate the other Cac mango today, which was riper.  The flesh was more orange in color, but the flavor was much milder.  Gone was any bright acidity or cola flavor.  It was hard to name what I was tasting.  Maybe a little orange or plum or melon.  I guess I need to try more of these.  The secret might be to eat them before they get too ripe.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:07:06 PM by johnb51 »
John

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 16, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
Skhan was kind enough to give me some mangos to sample: Cac, Angie, and Cogshall.  Cogshall had a mild, very pleasant flavor--a classic Florida mango flavor with hints of peach.  Fiber was medium with some strings, but not a problem.  Angie was more flavorful with a greater acidic component and some resin flavor near the skin. When I had my Angie tree, I think I was waiting too long to eat them and off-flavors would kick in.  Angie is completely fiberless.

Okay.  Cac was the revelation in this group.  I found it similar to Maha Chanok but with a more complex and richer flavor and more acid balance.

Thanks for your observations, looking forward to getting my hands on some Cac mangoes one of these days!   :)

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 18, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
I'm so confused. Is Cac mango the same as Coc variety? I tried searching but can't figure it out. :-\

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #804 on: June 18, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
Retracted
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:57:01 PM by skhan »

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
I'm so confused. Is Cac mango the same as Coc variety? I tried searching but can't figure it out. :-\

Same variety as far as I know.
Renamed to CAC for obvious reasons

What confused me was this website: https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/cac

It says that Cac "shouldn't be confused with 'Coc' or 'toad mango' in Vietnam, a dissimilar cultivar."

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #806 on: June 18, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »

Same variety as far as I know.
Renamed to CAC for obvious reasons

What confused me was this website: https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/cac

It says that Cac "shouldn't be confused with 'Coc' or 'toad mango' in Vietnam, a dissimilar cultivar."

Good find.

In that case, i retract my previous comment.

Alex would know better

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 18, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

So I was actually at Excalibur earlier this week and picked up these 6 mangos labeled coc which I too though was synonymous with cac... they look like cac shape but are they cac or coc? 🤷‍♂️😂

-Joe

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 18, 2020, 10:48:58 PM »
Appears to be

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 18, 2020, 10:51:46 PM »
It’s amazing! I can’t believe it isn’t brought up more on this forum. After tasting COC/CAC the other night, I’m considering top working my LZ tree instead of having to spray my trees with fungicides.

Simon
That’s crazy my Cac tree got terrible powdery mildew in Florida

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 19, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »

So I was actually at Excalibur earlier this week and picked up these 6 mangos labeled coc which I too though was synonymous with cac... they look like cac shape but are they cac or coc? 🤷‍♂️😂

-Joe

It is Coc but I say Cac when I have other people around me :D

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 19, 2020, 09:16:56 PM »
I just had a mini mango tasting with my daughters and a friend. We had NDM, COC/CAC and Sweet Tart.

We sampled the NDM first and it had a Brix reading of 18. It was good and sweet, completely fiberless but lacked complexity. My friend really enjoyed it.

We next sampled the COC/CAC. It had a brix reading of 17 and it was significantly less tasty than the previous COC/CAC I had. This one was slightly sweet, no complexity and didn’t even come. Miss to the absolutely delicious one I ate just several weeks ago. At this stage, the NDM was slightly better.

The last fruit we sampled was the Sweet Tart and it had a Brix reading of 24%. It was very sweet with just the right amount acid balance and everyone liked this one the most. My friend has a large Lavern Manila tree and said it produced absolutely sweet and delicious mangos and now she wants me to top work her tree to Sweet Tart.

Thinking back and comparing that top notch COC/CAC from several weeks ago to this Sweet Tart, Sweet Tart is definitely better but that top notch COC was fantastic. These COCs were picked slightly pre-mature and it showed in the flavor. I’ve eaten these over the past several years and they are an excellent mango.

I didn’t take any before pictures because of the guest but here are some aftermath pictures of the seeds

NDM

COC/CAC

Sweet Tart

Simon

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 20, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »
Review of Carrie to come.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:05:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Valencia Pride: Mango Review
« Reply #813 on: June 22, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
Valencia Pride has produced for me about the past 5 years and it was always so so in my opinion; until today...

This large fruit had gently fallen into high grass and soft sand/dirt where it proceeded to go overripe when I spotted it. I brought it inside and the bottom had become too soft, so I thought. As I cut into it it appeared like jelly seed occurring and I wondered if I should try it... I gently stuck my tongue into the soft jelly and went into pineapple ectasy with a very sweet creamy heavenly mush. The jelly material thinly surrounded the seed with a larger amount at the bottom where I began indulging. the half above the jelly area to the peeling was firm and excellent also but not quite as sweet as the jelly... I loved this mango at this overripe stage and will try to get more to this point. The jelly was sweeter than pineapple juice and creamy and better IMO.

This is one of those cases in which it often takes years and dozens of mangos to be eaten to finally make a true opinion of how well and how you would rank a mango for overall flavor compared to others... I would have never let it go this soft overripe except for luck; and I would have always thought Valencia Pride was a so so semi sweet slight pineapple tasting mango... No longer do I think this... Very good IMO if over ripened vs. other mangos...

I really wish I had waited a little longer for more ripening as I wanted more of the delicious jelly consistency which was primarily at the bottom.

You can also see the jelly going from yellow to orange. A lot of other mangos like PPK, LZ, and Tebow (young) also get sweeter when the mango changes from yellow to orange.

Many variables still exist and the tree is older & larger and I have noted other older trees producing much sweeter fruit as they age. But I will still try to over ripen till brown spots start forming on the skin of my Valencia Pride from the tree as I had one earlier that was eaten when just yellow and it was not as sweet.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:15:32 PM by palmcity »

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
Tried ZINC, J-14, Orange Sherbet and Peach Cobbler this morning.

For those who prefer visual content, the same review but in pictures: https://youtu.be/RkBLjbwLWJc

ZINC
First time trying this. The color changed to light yellow to golden yellow over the counter, and had a sweet fruity aroma to it as it was ripening. I would hold it everyday and smell it and keep it back as it felt hard and was waiting for it to give. The pulp was creamy, not juicy or melting. Sweet but not as sweet as sweet tart i tried this year and had a good balance of sub-acid flavor. I think those who love the Indochinese flavor group of mangoes will love this mango. Comparing to Sweet tart thought did not have one for side-by-side comparison, i felt ZINC to be a milder version of sweet tart.

J-14
I think it deceived me as i kept thinking it still looks like its just changing color from light green to pale yellow, and still hard to touch, and then some black spots on the skin started to grow bigger. Finally decided to cut and to my surprise it was orange inside. It was creamy texture and had started to go over-ripe. Flavor to me felt like a combo of Classic and Indochinese, perhaps the indochinese would have been more pronounced if it was not going over-ripe. All in all i preferred it over ZINC, as it being a seedling of ZINC. I checked the seed and it seemed to be mono-embryonic

Orange Sherbet
Amazed how it slowly changed from pale green to yellow to deep yellow color over a week, no skin blemishes while it ripened for a few days in garage and then over the counter top for the last 2 days. This one was as sweet, creamy and tasty as all OS i have tried before this season, so i feel it is a consistently flavorful mango. Good balance of sweetness and citrus drink flavor. The citrus flavor has a subacid component to it. I can not compare it to LemonZest, to me they are two different flavors and both are outstanding.

Peach Cobbler
Very deceptive indeed. I had an earlier Peach Cobbler about 2 weeks ago, that looked pale green after being over counter for a few day and was giving a lot. Cut it and it was pale yellow , unripe. This one i was doubtful too. Pale yellow with some light yellow at top, and slight giving. Cut inside and it was deep orange to my surprise. Taste was outstanding. To me the flavor was a combo of classic mango with sweet citrusy tone and a good sweetness to balance it all. I did not taste any peach flavor, earlier one i tasted had a peach after taste though.

Out of these 4, Peach Cobbler was my tastiest, although all 4 had my different taste buds satisfied.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:40:52 PM by tropical-farmer »
Satya

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 29, 2020, 12:10:30 PM »
CARRIE!

I was fortunate to acquire some excellent specimens of this variety from our friend zands.  Personally I find it an excellent mango.  Fiberless, sweet, and juicy.  I don't understand why some mango lovers find it objectionable.  Maybe it's a genetic thing, or something like the aversion to papaya or cilantro.  (I like them both, too!)  Zands' tree is around 12 years old with a stout trunk, but it's only maybe ten feet tall.  This is a big plus for the variety.

The flavor is rich and categorized as "Indian Alphonso."  Spicy with pleasant resin nearer to the skin, which is extremely thin.  Deep orange, very soft flesh, as you can see.  The flavor might be described as "spicy canned peaches with a little resin."  I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison with Angie, which is considered a Carrie substitute or maybe even an improvement.  I'll try to get some Angies from my old house in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:43:03 PM by johnb51 »
John

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 29, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
CARRIE!

I was fortunate to acquire some excellent specimens of this variety from our friend zands.  Personally I find it an excellent mango.  Fiberless, sweet, and juicy.  I don't understand why some mango lovers find it objectionable.  Maybe it's a genetic thing, or something like the aversion to papaya or cilantro.  (I like them both, too!)  Zands' tree is around 12 years old with a stout trunk, but it's only maybe ten feet tall.  This is a big plus for the variety.

The flavor is rich and categorized as "Indian Alphonso."  Spicy with pleasant resin nearer to the skin, which is extremely thin.  Deep orange, very soft flesh, as you can see.  The flavor might be described as "spicy canned peaches with a little resin."  I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison with Angie, which is considered a Carrie substitute or maybe even an improvement.  I'll try to get some Angies from my old house in the coming weeks.

I knew I liked you!  ;)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 29, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
CARRIE!

Gotta love carrie when picked in the right stage, that deep orange color looks delish.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 09, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
Just before i left for the battlefield, well it’s work, but when they say we are at war with the virus, then it is like a battlefield : ) , i got opportunity to taste a few mangoes one of which was an eye opener. Only other mango able to do that to me this year was Pina Colada.

Ripened from light green to yellow to  yellowish orange, clean fruit almost spotless, large size, what not to like. When i cut open it was a pale orange flesh with no fiber. Sorry these words don’t do justice to the explosion of flavors and happiness hormone bursting inside when i took my first bit, that is captured in the video. And i wish i was a poet and could describe in beautiful words, but indeed it is a great tasting mango and it was my first time tasting it. This is Carla mango. Flesh surprisingly was crunchy and juicy at the same time. Flavor was a intensely concentrated mix of fruit drink with high sweetness to balance the subacid flavor. No coconut or spice after taste just a wow factor at each bite. Very close to the seed it had ripened more and almost become mushy and soft with dull sweet flavor. Skin is very thick, few fibers but just leathery thick skin.

Then came another mango, similar size to Carla, the Orange Essence, beautiful colors of yellow and orange, clean with no black spots. Also similarly stayed more than a week in the garage ripening. Sweet citrusy and mango ripening smell i could smell from it even before it cut it. After i cut i could see it was strangely ripening, darker orange by the skin and then pale and again dark orange around the seed. Was afraid the pale part would be subpar taste but i was surprised, citrusy delight, with good sweetness.

The citrus flavor distinctly different from OS and LZ or LM mango but it is there a subtle nuance of the orange drink but milder version and with this good flesh seed ratio i was impressed. Flesh was similarly a bit crunchy but drier compared to Carla. Also a thick skinned mango which will travel well and ripen over many days and if it is a late season it will compete Honey Kiss for a spot if space is limited, or a cocktail tree perhaps :). HK is a completely different flavor and one of those mangoes i can eat all day and not get tired.

The whole tasting drama if you like visuals more than words is captured here : https://youtu.be/X9g6sCjekPU

Satya

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

Satya,

I got an Orange  Essence mango from my tree yesterday. Outstanding mango. I have it grafted onto three trees now :) If space is limited, you might want to go with Honey Kiss. OE is medium vigor but from what I have seen, doesn't stay small. 

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 09, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »

Satya,

I got an Orange  Essence mango from my tree yesterday. Outstanding mango. I have it grafted onto three trees now :) If space is limited, you might want to go with Honey Kiss. OE is medium vigor but from what I have seen, doesn't stay small.

Thanks. I wonder how a tree ripe OE would taste like, very impressed. I have a HK without any additional grafts on it. The OE got grafted to a Cotton Candy which i have not been impressed so far (probably i don’t like a candy cotton candy flavor in general) but i won’t judge until i try it next year again.
Satya

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 09, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »

Satya,

Keep in mind when you topwork onto an established tree the growth habit if the topworked variety tends to be different (usually more vigorous) than if started from a nursery grafted tree.  For prime examples, look at the towering sizes of the Honey Kiss and Pickering at Walter Zill's.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 09, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
Carla sounds like an outstanding, top-tier mango of the super-fruity (non-Indian, non-S.E.Asian, non-citrus) flavor profile.  Tropical-farmer's is the second tasting video raving about Carla.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 09, 2020, 03:04:28 PM »
Carla sounds like an outstanding, top-tier mango of the super-fruity (non-Indian, non-S.E.Asian, non-citrus) flavor profile.  Tropical-farmer's is the second tasting video raving about Carla.

I have Carla grafted onto my Mallika. Went purely by word of mouth. Glad I did.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 09, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »

Satya,

Keep in mind when you topwork onto an established tree the growth habit if the topworked variety tends to be different (usually more vigorous) than if started from a nursery grafted tree.  For prime examples, look at the towering sizes of the Honey Kiss and Pickering at Walter Zill's.

Would a nursery grafted Orange Essence grow slow and stay small, like Honey Kiss or Pickering? Pickering seems to grow faster than HK in my yard.  Is that unusual?