Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283573 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
Here is an Osteen mango I purchased from ensey's:

From the pictures above this almost seems like two different mangos but the coloration on this mango was primarily pinkish-red most likely on the sun exposed side while olive green fading into mustard yellow then into red on the other side and was soft and felt ripe. This mango was 5in long and weighed in at 462g. As i cut open the mango along the side of the seed i could hear the knife cutting through small bristly fibers along the seed. The flesh was a pale yellow with hardly any juice. The monoembryonic seed was large but there was a good amount of flesh to eat. The texture of this mango was tough and had presence of soft long stringy fibers intermixed throughout the flesh and concentrated near the peel along with small bristly fibers originating from the sides of the seed. The flavor was mildly sweet and had a musky aftertaste somewhat like an overripe mushy peach. It was hard for me to concentrate on the flavor profile with so much going on in terms of its texture. Granted this is a one mango sample size, would be interested to hear others opinions on this mango.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
the "perfect Edward" which so many rave about.

I have eaten lots of Edwards this summer and only caught 2 at this 'perfect window of ripeness' moment which seems to only span hours, not days. When you taste it - you will know. An incredibly pure sweetness and delicacy in flavor that is so pleasing to the taste buds it is almost 'too good to be true.'

Lol does the Edward send text alerts when of optimal ripeness?

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Alex aka Squam mentioned to me that Carrie also has a window of opportunity that may last hours rather than days.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
Wow Joe!! How many different mangoes have you had this year? Lucky you!! I'm totally jealous! I think I've only had about 10-12 off the ones you've reviewed and tasted  :(...

Thanks for all your reviews  they are very helpful especially for us that don't live close enough to places that have SO many different varieties of mangoes to try...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »
I do not remember Osteen being that fibrous, I sampled a few pieces from 2 different fruit.   the flesh was firm,  flavor being mild but good.   that one sampling motivated me to buy a tree,   

This variety seems to have some good commercial qualities to it.

Color and Size.  Its an attractive fruit and has the size most in demand in the market.
Shelf Life and Firmness :  Holds up to transport.
Taste good.

Its not a super juicy mango, and flavor is mild, but this may actually be a plus for some. I think these would do well for the gourmet restaurant market.

Another thing I like about the tree, is that they can be kept small.  and seems they would do well in high density and UHD systems. pictures of orchards I have seen from Spain, look like wine orchards with trees kept really small.  only 6-8ft tall.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Here is a Van Dyke mango purchased from truly tropical:

This Van Dyke had a good amount of anthracnose scaring, was yellow and fading into red with some white dots and a oily skin similar to a Haden. It weighed 383g and was about 4.25in long. When I cut the mango open it exposed a deep orange flesh that looked like it had some jelly seed and while my knife was slicing through the flesh I could hear the small bristly fibers from the seed snapping. In the one picture above I show a zoomed in close up of those fibers and these are what produce a "bristly" mouthfeel on the palate and what i am refering to when I say a mango has a bristly fibrous texture.  These bristles are most notable when spooning the flesh out but a fibrous mango can seem less fibrous if cubing the mango by the hedgehog method. The flesh had a bristly texture to it with a small amount of long stringy fibers dispersed throughout the flesh, but this was only a slight hinderance and still manageable to be eaten with a spoon. The monoembryonic seed was large and there was plenty of flesh to be eaten. The base taste was of pungent "mango" flavor, no peachy pineapple tangy-ness, with a slight resinous flavor when scrapping the flesh closest to the peel.

-JoeP450

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
X
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:24:40 PM by DurianLover »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
Here is a mango called Po Pyu Kalay (PPK) which was purchased from truly tropical:

This is the Po Pyu Kalay mango commonly called lemon meringue and PPK for short. This mango was a flat yellow in color and flecked with small brown dots when was soft and ripe. This mango weighed in at 309g and was 4.5in long. When I cut the mango open it reveled a bright yellow flesh glistening with syrupy mango juice adhering to the flesh. The flesh was completely fiberless with a creamy texture. The polyembrionic seed was skinny and thick and overall there was a fair amount of flesh to eat. The taste was syrupy sweet of lemon citrus and honey with a slight funky taste on flesh directly off the seed. This was a delicious mango.

Since PPK is the parent of Lemon Zest I made sure to picture them side by side to show their similarities in coloration and shape but also an obvious difference in size. The LZ overall in every category is just MORE bigger, sweeter, lemony, creamy, viscous than the PPK. It is amazing something as good as the PPK could actually be improved, but the reality is a mango called Lemon Zest.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2013, 12:22:17 AM »
Here is a Philippine mango from Walter zills:

This mango was a flat yellow with some random brushes of brown and light green and felt ripe to eat. It weighed 330g and measured 4.75in. When I cut this mango open it revealed a butterscotch yellow flesh bursting with juice of thin consistency. The flesh of this mango was similar to ripe NDM and was fiberless with a slippery texture not creamy. The polyembrionic seed had a significant amount of long fiber on the edges of the seed which was only a nuisance eating the flesh directly off the seed. The taste was honey sweet and had very noticeable funky taste with lots of juice and no tangy-ness. A very good mango in my opinion, enjoyed every savory bite.

-JoeP450

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
Wow, based on the description/review, the 'Philippine' mango sounds really good.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:16:36 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
Here is a Philippine mango from Walter zills:

This mango was a flat yellow with some random brushes of brown and light green and felt ripe to eat. It weighed 330g and measured 4.75in. When I cut this mango open it revealed a butterscotch yellow flesh bursting with juice of thin consistency. The flesh of this mango was similar to ripe NDM and was fiberless with a slippery texture not creamy. The polyembrionic seed had a significant amount of long fiber on the edges of the seed which was only a nuisance eating the flesh directly off the seed. The taste was honey sweet and had very noticeable funky taste with lots of juice and no tangy-ness. A very good mango in my opinion, enjoyed every savory bite.

-JoeP450

My Philippine tend to be more elongated/not quite as squat in shape.  The color and description seem to be the same, however.  The name Philippine, I am sure, has been used to describe a number of mangoes. There are probably some seedling variability much the same as one sees in the Manila and Saigon  mangoes.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »
Sweet Tart - by Zill's High Performance Plants

WOW! This palm sized mango packs a knockout punch in the flavor department. The main theme is a bold, candy sweetness that is perfectly foiled by a very intense, pleasing sour flavor. When you bite closer to the peel, you get a blast of a resinous "Carrie" type flavor with a sour twang to it. If this mango was just a tad bit more sour it would be "too much" but it judiciously stops right at the brink of ecstasy.

The flesh is deep orange, truly fiberless, and oh-so-potent. You can nibble off a tiny bite the size of a grapefruit seed and it fills the whole mouth with pleasure & flavor.

I am fairly self-controlled when it comes to being tempted by the sweetness of fruit. I frequently eat a half a 'normal' mango and leave the other half in the fridge for later or tomorrow, no problem. The Sweet Tart was truly addictive - both physically and psychologically. I put some in the fridge and found myself with a knife in my hand, staring & salivating over it just 10 minutes later. You just WANT MORE and can't really help it... like BBQ potato chips, etc.  Even if your brain were to "think" this mango is too sour, too intense or too mixed up & improper... your tongue will crave more because it rocks the taste receptors far harder than a typical fruit does.

Rating: A+. A masterpiece. Totally lives up to, or exceeds the name.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
Hey Brett, nice review and good hear this is a good mango I am currently waiting for mine to ripen up more. I would like to add that the sweet tart is a seedling selection of the ZINC: Zill Indochinese. Do you off hand know if the sweet tart is a poly seed? And about how large were your sweet tarts? Mine seem kind of small, and I'm trying to gauge the size relative to the benchmade blade in your pic.

-joep450

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
I try a Haden mango for first time some days ago, and like it a lot. It's very sweet and some fiber. So i think to germinate this mango to have it. I remove the hard exterior seed and involve the almond in wet paper, and put it in a seeled plastic bag in dark. In two days it's sprouting! The pic is here:

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
Do you off hand know if the sweet tart is a poly seed? And about how large were your sweet tarts?

Joe,

Here's a photo with a full-sized Bic lighter, a Sweet Tart fruit, and sweet tart seed. I don't know how to tell the difference between poly / mono mango seeds, can anyone enlighten me or share a link on how to determine? This seed is short, FAT / thick... not one of those long, paper thin seeds.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Sweet Tart is absolutely incredible. If you eat it when perfectly ripened, it loses that strong acidity. You'll have to try a few before you nail the ripeness. I would have named it Cola Mango, since the taste is very reminiscent of Coca Cola syrup. To make the deal even better, Zill's calls it a "compact" mango tree.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Yep, I don't understand why folks are still planting PPK, when Lemon Zest -- an improved PPK -- is available. I think Zills blew it on the naming, since most folks think that the mango tastes like lemons based on the name (it doesn't).

Here is a mango called Po Pyu Kalay (PPK) which was purchased from truly tropical:

This is the Po Pyu Kalay mango commonly called lemon meringue and PPK for short. This mango was a flat yellow in color and flecked with small brown dots when was soft and ripe. This mango weighed in at 309g and was 4.5in long. When I cut the mango open it reveled a bright yellow flesh glistening with syrupy mango juice adhering to the flesh. The flesh was completely fiberless with a creamy texture. The polyembrionic seed was skinny and thick and overall there was a fair amount of flesh to eat. The taste was syrupy sweet of lemon citrus and honey with a slight funky taste on flesh directly off the seed. This was a delicious mango.

Since PPK is the parent of Lemon Zest I made sure to picture them side by side to show their similarities in coloration and shape but also an obvious difference in size. The LZ overall in every category is just MORE bigger, sweeter, lemony, creamy, viscous than the PPK. It is amazing something as good as the PPK could actually be improved, but the reality is a mango called Lemon Zest.

-JoeP450

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
Lemon Zest -- an improved PPK -- is available. I think Zills blew it on the naming, since most folks think that the mango tastes like lemons based on the name (it doesn't).

Have you ever had candied lemon peel? (example: http://theshiksa.com/2012/11/16/how-to-make-candied-lemon-peels/). It's got the sweet spectrum of lemon with all the bitterness / tartness leeched out by the sugar and processing. I think the Lemon Zest tastes closer to candied lemon peel than any other taste I can think of.

This is just a guess, but I am wondering if the naming choice of the Lemon Zest (LZ) could have been a partial tribute to Lawrence Zill?

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
Here is an Osteen mango I purchased from ensey's:

From the pictures above this almost seems like two different mangos but the coloration on this mango was primarily pinkish-red most likely on the sun exposed side while olive green fading into mustard yellow then into red on the other side and was soft and felt ripe. This mango was 5in long and weighed in at 462g. As i cut open the mango along the side of the seed i could hear the knife cutting through small bristly fibers along the seed. The flesh was a pale yellow with hardly any juice. The monoembryonic seed was large but there was a good amount of flesh to eat. The texture of this mango was tough and had presence of soft long stringy fibers intermixed throughout the flesh and concentrated near the peel along with small bristly fibers originating from the sides of the seed. The flavor was mildly sweet and had a musky aftertaste somewhat like an overripe mushy peach. It was hard for me to concentrate on the flavor profile with so much going on in terms of its texture. Granted this is a one mango sample size, would be interested to hear others opinions on this mango.

-JoeP450

I have yet to have an Osteen that really got me going.  I find them to be rather bland and usually kind of dry.  Maybe I just haven't hit the right one, because they sure seem to be popular in Europe.

I have a special fascination with Merritt island selections since I'm originally from Brevard county.  Osteen is not one of the good ones from the area, IMO.  I assume the spaniards grow it for the same reason that boneheads around here still grow tommy Atkins.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »
Yep, I don't understand why folks are still planting PPK, when Lemon Zest -- an improved PPK -- is available. I think Zills blew it on the naming, since most folks think that the mango tastes like lemons based on the name (it doesn't).

[

Jeff, what about performance?  Is one of the two likely to be more productive than the other?   Is one of them less disease-resistant? Is it easier to determine when PPK, for existence, is at its flavor peak?    versus LZ?          With limited space I'm just curious.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »

Is LZ patented like a lot of otherZill's varieties?  If so, it may be that it undermines the profit of selling LZ vs. PPK.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »
From my limited experience, I think that both LZ and PPK are very similar in terms of performance and disease resistance, but LZ excels in fruit taste, flesh consistency, and size. I think both have the novice-displeasing characteristic that they take 2 to 3 years before they start fruiting (ie, they're not precocious). So, both trees require some patience at the outset.

Jeff, what about performance?  Is one of the two likely to be more productive than the other?   Is one of them less disease-resistant? Is it easier to determine when PPK, for existence, is at its flavor peak?    versus LZ?          With limited space I'm just curious.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
LZ is not patented. I think they initially were going to patent both the CC and the LZ, but instead patented just the CC. I was told that the Fruit Punch was also going to be patented, but I don't know how that developed.

Is LZ patented like a lot of otherZill's varieties?  If so, it may be that it undermines the profit of selling LZ vs. PPK.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
LZ is not patented. I think they initially were going to patent both the CC and the LZ, but instead patented just the CC. I was told that the Fruit Punch was also going to be patented, but I don't know how that developed.

There's a fruit punch mango?  ???

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
Here is a cushman mango I purchased from truly tropical:

Wow another delicious mango! This mango was a yellow-orange and dotted with random brown dots. This mango had some give to it though I was unsure if I should let it go longer or eat it now. One thing I have noticed is that mangos with thick skin wont give as much when they are in fact ripe and ready to eat, sounds pretty obvious right, but it seems that mangos ripen from the inside out and when dealing with a very wide mango such as this cushman which also has a thick peel, it can get tricky. From the taste of it, I nailed this cushman at an optimal time. This mango had a wide circular shape measuring 4.25in with a light citrus smell on the peel and weighing 618g. When i cut the mango open it revealed a bright yellow-orange flesh and gushed some thin juice. The cushman is similar in size/shape/texture to the cannonball mango which when halved provided an optimal bowl-in-hand desert that I enjoyed with a spoon. The texture was smooth while the flesh was firm and thick (think savory, having some weight to it). There were a small amount of long stringy fibers only noticeable when scrapping the flesh off the peel, and the circular monoembryonic seed had no fiber on it plus was very small relative to edible flesh providing a lot to eat. The taste was very reminiscent of PPK and LZ, it has a sweet orange-lemon taste without tangy-ness but with an added hidden spice.

-JoeP450