Author Topic: Florida Hass. Who has an adult tree?  (Read 12459 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Hass. Who has an adult tree?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Pinkerton is delicious. Fuerte is pretty decent but the thin skin is annoying (even though it is edible). I like the hass better than both though :-). Even though the hass has a high oil content, it also has plenty of water, which makes them easier to eat than, say, the fuerte. It also has a subtle aroma that's really appealing. It's funny to see so many differing opinions on the avocados. But, for guac, they are all equally delicious (when my wife makes it at least!).

I disagree here...you want a strong/full flavored, high oil content 'cado to make guac.  The bland watery types just turn out flavorless green mush instead of yummy guac...

I chuckle when I see Guacamole as the main reason to eat Avocados. In the Caribbean, we did not know what Guacamole was until we came to the states and went to someones  "Super Bowl" Party.  When I first tried it I thought it was a technique to use spoiled avocados! To me the only way to eat one is to get a nice 2 lb Coquette, Lula or Miguel, slice it in "rajas" or slices and eat with rice and chicken or chunk it into a "asopao" or stew. Guacamole to most West Indian islanders is kinda weird. Something you eat at an American party.  We use them to make an avocado sandwich with fresh baked island sweet bread or too accompany fried plantains or breadfruit. Nothing better!  If you only make guacamole with them, you are missing the boat!  With respect to Hass lovers....long live the big Caribbean avocados!   
FGM 

FloridaGreenMan

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
I'm growing a couple California avocados including Fuerte and Bacon. Will be curious to see how they taste grown in our soil here. The Bacon trees have some fruit on them.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 01:04:07 AM »
Pinkerton is delicious. Fuerte is pretty decent but the thin skin is annoying (even though it is edible). I like the hass better than both though :-). Even though the hass has a high oil content, it also has plenty of water, which makes them easier to eat than, say, the fuerte. It also has a subtle aroma that's really appealing. It's funny to see so many differing opinions on the avocados. But, for guac, they are all equally delicious (when my wife makes it at least!).

I disagree here...you want a strong/full flavored, high oil content 'cado to make guac.  The bland watery types just turn out flavorless green mush instead of yummy guac...

I chuckle when I see Guacamole as the main reason to eat Avocados. In the Caribbean, we did not know what Guacamole was until we came to the states and went to someones  "Super Bowl" Party.  When I first tried it I thought it was a technique to use spoiled avocados! To me the only way to eat one is to get a nice 2 lb Coquette, Lula or Miguel, slice it in "rajas" or slices and eat with rice and chicken or chunk it into a "asopao" or stew. Guacamole to most West Indian islanders is kinda weird. Something you eat at an American party.  We use them to make an avocado sandwich with fresh baked island sweet bread or too accompany fried plantains or breadfruit. Nothing better!  If you only make guacamole with them, you are missing the boat!  With respect to Hass lovers....long live the big Caribbean avocados!   
FGM 

I basically cut them into cubes or slices and add a sprinkle of salt.  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »
Avocado is a very versatile food...so many food dishes you can make with them. Americans mostly eat them as a vegetable, in salad, or as a dip in guacamole, but latin americans like to eat them as dessert, in smoothies, milk shakes, or even candied. Asians and Polynesians mostly like to feed them to their pigs. They still haven't figured out it's a great human food too.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »
Avocado is a very versatile food...so many food dishes you can make with them. Americans mostly eat them as a vegetable, in salad, or as a dip in guacamole, but latin americans like to eat them as dessert, in smoothies, milk shakes, or even candied. Asians and Polynesians mostly like to feed them to their pigs. They still haven't figured out it's a great human food too.
I had an Asian friend who owned a small restaurant here (the food was great but he sold it and moved) and he used to make my wife and I bubble shakes.  One of the best ones he made us was a sweet avocado...now that Asian knew what to do with it. :)
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
And to clear the record, for me at least, while I always make a batch or two of guac, I mainly eat 'cados sliced, with a sprinkling of salt and some fresh squeezed Red Lime juice over them...
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
I'm growing a couple California avocados including Fuerte and Bacon. Will be curious to see how they taste grown in our soil here. The Bacon trees have some fruit on them.
I also have a Bacon tree in Homestead and is growing well. It set a lot of fruit they are about 2oz now. I took off a few since the tree is small.  Did your Fuerte set any fruit? Keep us posted on the Fuerte
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico. Somewhere along the line it became associated with super bowls :-). Unfortunately, good authentic Mexican cooking is really hard to come by here in South Florida where the dominant cultural influence comes from the Caribbean and South American. Even the places that claim to have Mexican food here are really peddling second rate imitations. Back in So Cal, we had hundreds of the most incredible Mexican restaurants, taquerias, and panadarias where you would your meal would come with a side of guac.

FGM 

Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
I slice them in half, yank the seed and scoop out the insides with a spoon.

I basically cut them into cubes or slices and add a sprinkle of salt.  :)
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico.

Yep, I grew up in Santa Ana Ca.  Heavy Mexican influence.  Guacamole and excellent mexican food were pretty standard. 

I definitely prefer a good Haas or Fuerte to any "Florida" variety I have tasted thus far, although I have not tasted a wide variety of "Florida" Avocado's.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
I had an Asian friend who owned a small restaurant here (the food was great but he sold it and moved) and he used to make my wife and I bubble shakes.  One of the best ones he made us was a sweet avocado...now that Asian knew what to do with it. :)

Sounds like an Americanized Asian to me.  ;) I was talking about Asians living in Asia! ::)
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico.

Yep, I grew up in Santa Ana Ca.  Heavy Mexican influence.  Guacamole and excellent mexican food were pretty standard. 

I definitely prefer a good Haas or Fuerte to any "Florida" variety I have tasted thus far, although I have not tasted a wide variety of "Florida" Avocado's.

Lots of Taco Bells also! I'm afraid most Californians eat at Taco Bells.  :( Yes there are also excellent Mexican restaurants, usually run by new arrivals. Here in Hawaii i have yet to find one good Mexican restaurant.  :'(
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk