Author Topic: Strange Lychee Season  (Read 12203 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Strange Lychee Season
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
Strange how the Mauritius lychee trees, which are supposed to be the reliable commercial variety that is the most consistent bearing,  didn't seem to produce well here in Southwest Florida (Pine Island) this year.  However, the Hak Ips produced well.  I know that we had a wet beginning of the winter, and it was mild.  Anyone have any theories as to the strange bearing of lychees this year?

Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Strange Lychee Season
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
Strange how the Mauritius lychee trees, which are supposed to be the reliable commercial variety that is the most consistent bearing,  didn't seem to produce well here in Southwest Florida (Pine Island) this year.  However, the Hak Ips produced well.  I know that we had a wet beginning of the winter, and it was mild.  Anyone have any theories as to the strange bearing of lychees this year?

Brad

To tell you the truth i don't think anyone yet fully understands what triggers flowering in lychees. This lychee nut has yet to be cracked (fully).
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
And that raises another question.  Often when I ask people if they have heard of lychees, they respond "do you mean lychee nuts"?  Why are they called nuts?  Were the seeds ever available separately for purchase?  A lady who sells lychees on Pine Island said that lychees in old times used to be left on the counter after being picked, and they would later dry out and that basically left the seed surrounded by a dried out fruit, and therefore the whole thing was referred to as a nut.  That just didnt sound right. 

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
Here is Palm Beach County, I have tasted fresh picked Hak Ips, Sweet Hearts and Mauritius.  Though for the most part the season has been just short of a bust, production wise, the quality of what I have tasted have been outstanding.  While I really don't have to tout my favorite, the Hak Ip, these have been spectacular as have been the Sweethearts (yes, there are the two schools of thought with respect to the Hak Ip and Sweetheart: one in the same or two distinct varieties).  I rest on the side that they are one on the same, and from what I have seen and eaten this season supports that.  The size, shape, look and taste have been identical.  The one standout has been the Mauritius.  This years crop from Excalibur have been some of the best, if not the best, Mauritius I have ever tasted.  While I have plenty currently sitting in my fridge of both Sweethearts and Mauritius (yes, the Hak Ips have all been devoured...hoping on a few sources for another batch in the near future), I am looking forward to what any other available varieties have to bring before the season ends here on the East Coast of SFla.

As far as the lychee nut, that is a definition termed to a dried lychee.  Before the lychee was widely available commercially from the likes of Florida, China and Mexico, the main source available to the rest of the world was a lychee in its dried form, which was coined a "lychee nut".
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
And that raises another question.  Often when I ask people if they have heard of lychees, they respond "do you mean lychee nuts"?  Why are they called nuts?  Were the seeds ever available separately for purchase?  A lady who sells lychees on Pine Island said that lychees in old times used to be left on the counter after being picked, and they would later dry out and that basically left the seed surrounded by a dried out fruit, and therefore the whole thing was referred to as a nut.  That just didnt sound right. 

Brad

That lady is right. Lychee nut refers to dried out lychee, including skin, seed, and fruit, ie dried whole. I think it was called a nut because you had to crack and peel the outer skin before eating, a little bit like a nut has to be cracked before eating.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
Here is Palm Beach County, I have tasted fresh picked Hak Ips, Sweet Hearts and Mauritius.  Though for the most part the season has been just short of a bust, production wise, the quality of what I have tasted have been outstanding.  While I really don't have to tout my favorite, the Hak Ip, these have been spectacular as have been the Sweethearts (yes, there are the two schools of thought with respect to the Hak Ip and Sweetheart: one in the same or two distinct varieties).  I rest on the side that they are one on the same, and from what I have seen and eaten this season supports that.  The size, shape, look and taste have been identical.  The one standout has been the Mauritius.  This years crop from Excalibur have been some of the best, if not the best, Mauritius I have ever tasted.  While I have plenty currently sitting in my fridge of both Sweethearts and Mauritius (yes, the Hak Ips have all been devoured...hoping on a few sources for another batch in the near future), I am looking forward to what any other available varieties have to bring before the season ends here on the East Coast of SFla.

As far as the lychee nut, that is a definition termed to a dried lychee.  Before the lychee was widely available commercially from the likes of Florida, China and Mexico, the main source available to the rest of the world was a lychee in its dried form, which was coined a "lychee nut".

Hmmmm. Wonder if this year's spectacular ratings of all the lychees have something to do with the great scarcity of fruit?  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »

Hmmmm. Wonder if this year's spectacular ratings of all the lychees have something to do with the great scarcity of fruit?  ;)
While its overall scarce, some trees have been downright loaded.  The Mauritius I have came from a medium sized tree that yielded close to 150 lbs and still has some fruit left on it.  The sweetheart I purchased have also been steadily supplied for the last week+ to its seller.  The Hak Ips I am not sure of, as I have only been able to procure a limited amount and am waiting on a secondary source for the next batch.  Now, relating the scarcity to quality, as you say, I would say no.  As you may have seen me say that I amhave not been a big fan of Mauritius, while I have been eating both the Sweetheart/Hak Ip, I will say that the Mauritius have been giving both a run for their proverbial money.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »

No, there's truth to it. I don't normally care much for Ha Kip but its been excellent this year.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »
What's normal lychee season in FL? In socal we harvest them in October.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:30 AM »
What's normal lychee season in FL? In socal we harvest them in October.
While there are the outliers, usually around late May to late June.  It is not the timing of the season that is not normal this year in Florida, it is the lack of producing trees.  Speaking in terms of SFla, this has been one of the worst years for fruit production in many years.  Throwing the "three year" statistics out the window, this year has been an anomaly in terms of lychee fruit production.
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »
I see. I don't have enough trees to tell but my Hak Ip was loaded with flowers this year. It takes my trees 3 years to store enough energy for a flush like this.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:36 AM »
I see. I don't have enough trees to tell but my Hak Ip was loaded with flowers this year. It takes my trees 3 years to store enough energy for a flush like this.
That is where the "three year" statistic may come into play...a Hak Ip tree is known to give a full crop, on average, one in every three years ( I am saying full, not that it can not produce any crop at all).
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
I wish I could remember what lychees tasted like......nuts or otherwise. :-[

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
I wish I could remember what lychees tasted like......nuts or otherwise. :-[
Harry

Lol SO true Harry!! Hoping to taste some from the local produce stands around here...but it won't be for at least 2 more weeks I'm told??

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
Has anyone ever tasted Groff lychees, or know if they really do fruit very late in the season?  Some references have said that they are ripe in Aug/Sept, but that might be in Hawaii or California.

Brad
Brad

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »
I don't know that Groff is grown in CA. It was a Hak Ip seedling discovered in HI.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »
Has anyone ever tasted Groff lychees, or know if they really do fruit very late in the season?  Some references have said that they are ripe in Aug/Sept, but that might be in Hawaii or California.

Brad

I have Groff lychee here. Yes it fruits very late. The August date is for Hawaii. Good thing about Groff is that all the fruits are chicken tongue (aborted small seeds). Bad thing is that in my opinion it's the worst tasting of the lychees i have. Also it's quite a small lychee, so even though all seeds are small you still get same quantity of pulp as in a bigger lychee with big seed.
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
Oscar -

Is the Groff in season when all others are totally done, or is it just a bit later than the rest? 

How would you describe the groff taste?

Brad
Brad

natsgarden123

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »

Does anyone with locally grown lychees have them for sale?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

Does anyone with locally grown lychees have them for sale?
Excalibur may have some left over from Saturday's harvest.  If not, The Fortune Cookie on Forest Hill Blvd. May still have some as well as that oriental market I told you about on Military and Lantana (both oriental market's lychees would be from local sources.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
the oriental market on Forest Hill is down the street from my office-i know where Ill be for lunch  :)

natsgarden123

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Just got my big bag of lychees ( they say the fruits are sweetheart) are locally grown- I have been there many times to buy tea, curry paste (and great Japanese sake :))  . I never realized that they lychees as well.  They also have preserved persimmons which are delicious.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
Just got my big bag of lychees ( they say the fruits are sweetheart) are locally grown- I have been there many times to buy tea, curry paste (and great Japanese sake :))  . I never realized that they lychees as well.  They also have preserved persimmons which are delicious.
The box marked Sweetheart are indeed Sweetheart/Hak Ip and very good quality.  The other box, with the lychees in the stems are Mauritius.  They also sell Nam Wa bananas in the produce room.

As for buying any other items there...be very careful of the expiration dates.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
The box marked Sweetheart are indeed Sweetheart/Hak Ip and very good quality.  The other box, with the lychees in the stems are Mauritius.  They also sell Nam Wa bananas in the produce room.

As for buying any other items there...be very careful of the expiration dates.

You are right about the dates..
The lychees in the other box were all brown-didn't look very appealing.  They also had a Jackfruit sitting there and some wax jambu

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
My Lychee trees here in San Diego are completely confused.  My small Kaimana and Emperor have been flowering for the last month, slowly maturing flowers from different panicles each week.  My larger Sweetheart had a very strong veg flush and I found a few very small bloom spikes scattered around the tree.  I'm hoping my Kaimana and Emperor will hold a few fruit this year but I have no idea when they may be ready.  I believe our normal season(if there is a normal season) for Lychees here in San Diego is around September. 
Simon

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Congrats Nat!! May I ask how they are selling them a pound? Enjoy them!!

Good luck with your Lychee tree Simon...hope you get to taste some...

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »

$ 4.50 per pound 
I bought 4 pounds  :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

$ 4.50 per pound 
I bought 4 pounds  :)
You sure they weren't $4.99/lb ?
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
I thought is was $4.50- I bought a bunch of items... It probably was $4.99...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
Oscar -

Is the Groff in season when all others are totally done, or is it just a bit later than the rest? 

How would you describe the groff taste?

Brad

Like i said, it's in August, which is quite a bit later, as season starts normally in end of May, and is pretty much finished for most cultivars normally around end of June. B-3 is even later in season than Groff and can extend season sometimes till end of August and even into September. The taste of Groff is just sweet, with not much complexity of tartness or rose flavor, like other cultivars. It's not a very good tasting one in my opinion.
Oscar

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
I bought this yesterday from a local fruit stand (only had 1 lb left) when I got there...they had NO idea what variety it was only that it was grown locally...It was $3 for the one pound bag...wish they had more  :(

Does it look like Mauritius? Its is VERY good!!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
I bought this yesterday from a local fruit stand (only had 1 lb left) when I got there...they had NO idea what variety it was only that it was grown locally...It was $3 for the one pound bag...wish they had more  :(

Does it look like Mauritius? Its is VERY good!!

That actually looks Like a lemon ;)

Ok, seriously...yes, they look like Mauritius.  Was the seed large with the flavor sweet with a subacid component ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:56:06 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
"[bThat actually looks Lima a lemon
Ok, seriously...yes, they look like Mauritius.  Was the seed large with the flavor sweet with a subacid component ?
Report to moderator     Logged
- Rob][/b]

Funny! Yes, large seed not sure exactly what subacid component means"...but I'm sure its probably Mauritius. It was definitely sweet and delicious! I'm glad I planted a Mauritius...I really like this lychee.

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
The story about the origin of the name "Lychee Nuts" is indeed true. As far as production, most of my grower friends here in south Florida are lychee-less this year, but this is my best crop of Hak Ips and Sweet Hearts in 10 years, over 200 pounds on my Hak Ip. I also have a good crop of Sweet Cliffs, but they are very small. I attribute my success to the application of 100 pounds of 0-0-50 last October. I also have a bumper crops of mangos that are near my lychee trees. I also spread a lot of ash around my trees from my outdoor fireplaces and chimeas. Can't be sure about this theory, but the extra potassium sure didn't hurt.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
The story about the origin of the name "Lychee Nuts" is indeed true. As far as production, most of my grower friends here in south Florida are lychee-less this year, but this is my best crop of Hak Ips and Sweet Hearts in 10 years, over 200 pounds on my Hak Ip. I also have a good crop of Sweet Cliffs, but they are very small. I attribute my success to the application of 100 pounds of 0-0-50 last October. I also have a bumper crops of mangos that are near my lychee trees. I also spread a lot of ash around my trees from my outdoor fireplaces and chimeas. Can't be sure about this theory, but the extra potassium sure didn't hurt.
And them Hak Ips are DEEEEEELICIOUS !!  :) :) :) :) :)
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
Yesterday, I bought some fresh lychees from a lady here in Fort Myers.  Her name is Pat Thanavaro.  She said that she has a big orchard in Pine Island, and that she ships fruits all over the country.  She is located on 13381 Ficus Tree Ln. Bokeelia, FL 33922.  (314) 602-7952  http://www.thanavaro.com/  Her lychees are absolutely superb!  She also told me that she has all kinds of fruits for sale.