Author Topic: Garcinia hombroniana  (Read 9295 times)

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia hombroniana
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
Nice. An educated guess from Oscar is good enough for me. Give it a shot Treesnmore. Maybe try to source the fruit and see if you like it first

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »

Thanks Oscar I got one fruit on all my trees

Dont know why pictures are sideways
Mike

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
they have many trees at fruit and spice planted out, and seems like they all fruit...I'm doubting that you need two trees to get fruit...even if they are considered dioecious...for instance, I have a self fruitful imbe...so the rules aren't always clear cut.

Would you please tell that to my Imbe , Adam , a zillion of 1 cm fruits every year on the female and then they drop....planted 5 more hoping for a male .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
Here's pic of the hombroniana

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:08 PM »
This is 5 trees 3- 15 footers and 2 small trees one fruit Dont know why they are sideways

Mike

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I have about 15 3 year old trees in one gallon pots that have to be repotted into 3 gallon pots that I can sell if anyone is interested. Some of them are like 2 feet tall already.
Ron

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
Adam how much fruit do you on your one tree .I know you said once that you got one fruit. Are you getting alot more now. Rob were is this Imbe tree at I would like to see it . Maybe I could buy some budwood.

a considerable amount of fruit...

so far, not as much as the female trees I've seen that get loaded like a jaboticaba...

but my tree is still small, and has suffered some setbacks...

now...it's recovering nicely..and setting fruits all over...(still not as much as a typical female)...

the tree makes lots of male flower first...then follows up with plenty of androgynous flowers, which have a very high rate of setting fruits.

I'm definitely ready to sell some budwood from this tree...I need to make some $$ and spread the tree around....I don't have rootstocks to graft onto now...otherwise, I'd be grafting more.

if you are out there reading this, send me an email to the address below...I will try to respond promptly. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
Adam how much fruit do you on your one tree .I know you said once that you got one fruit. Are you getting alot more now. Rob were is this Imbe tree at I would like to see it . Maybe I could buy some budwood.

a considerable amount of fruit...

so far, not as much as the female trees I've seen that get loaded like a jaboticaba...

but my tree is still small, and has suffered some setbacks...

now...it's recovering nicely..and setting fruits all over...(still not as much as a typical female)...

the tree makes lots of male flower first...then follows up with plenty of androgynous flowers, which have a very high rate of setting fruits.

I'm definitely ready to sell some budwood from this tree...I need to make some $$ and spread the tree around....I don't have rootstocks to graft onto now...otherwise, I'd be grafting more.

if you are out there reading this, send me an email to the address below...I will try to respond promptly.

Would be worth spreading it around because i think getting lots of androgynous flowers on imbe is an exception rather than a rule. I have 3 imbe trees...2 males and one female. The males don't ever set a single fruit. But that may just be because there is a female right next door. I think solitary male trees somehow sense they have to fruit or perish and put out more androgynous flowers? Other trees are known to be able to change sex when opposite sex is not around.
Oscar

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »
Here's pic of the hombroniana

Thanks so much luc for the photo of the ripe fruit! I've never seen them before! It's cool how much they look like traditional mangosteen, but also are distinctive. Made me really want to have some of my own! :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »

just realized this question was about my self fruitful imbe, not my Garcinia hombroniana (which hasn't fruited yet)

my self fruitful imbe made a decent crop about 3yr ago (about 10 fruits in a 15 gal pot, which was it's first crop), but then I neglected the tree for a few years...causing it to die back heavily....now it's recovering after being planted out in my yard...and set some fruits...but still hasn't made a bumper crop.

if it doesn't fruit heavily, worst case scenario....I think this tree would be great to have as a male plant in addition to a regular female plant...because both would set some fruit.

I will post pics if it makes a decent crop this year...I got some fruit set (and harvested one)...but seems like some are dropping, due to lack of rain and irrigation I'm guessing....

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Yes Adam that is what I was wanting to know. How your Imbe was doing. I did get 2 seashore for me. How long till they can take the sun.
Mike

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »
Yes Adam that is what I was wanting to know. How your Imbe was doing. I did get 2 seashore for me. How long till they can take the sun.

lol it took me a month realize I read your question wrong...

i put my seashore in full sun last year, and it took a beating..the leaves got burnt, and stems wrinkled..but now it's on the come back...

it was about 6 yr old? maybe older?  and 5ft tall when I planted it out...into FULL FULL burning hot sun.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com