Author Topic: Over 60 grafts  (Read 12286 times)

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
Over 60 grafts
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:57 AM »
Hi folks,

Grafts were all done in one day. This is the most extreme for me. Today was freaking hot too! Got sunburn on my neck, arms and the back of my hands. There's about 15 cultivars grafted today on my aunt's unknown and unproductive tree.
Scions were ordered from Oscar(Thanks!). The scions were long enough to separate into two pieces. My grafting skills about fifty percent. I'm just hoping at least one of each cultivar takes.

Max

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Over 60 grafts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
Good luck with all the grafts Max. In hot sun maybe it would be wise to put a paper bag over them for some sun protection?
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
Good luck with your Frankenstein tree!

Keep us updated ;)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »
Hi Max,

:o Over 60 Grafts :o Never done so many :o I agree with, Oscar ;) protect them grafts.

Good luck! You should get MAX-imum takes ;D

Keep us posted :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
Thanks for advice a replies. Will update in one month.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
Max, which varieties did you graft ?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
Hi William,
I grafted 16 varieties that day.
Amrapali
Florigon
Carrie
Ice Cream
Kent
Keitt
Cushman
Edward
Julie
Pim Sean Mun
Po Pyu Kalay
Neelam
Rapoza
Okrung
Fairchild
Pickering(Not from Oscar)

I went back today to cover them. I didn't have enough bags so i use foil. I hope it works.

Here are some are some of Oscar's babies from the first batch of scions grafted on May 4 (Same tree)

Lancetilla

Nam Doc Mai

Mallika

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
Impressive!! Good luck on the newest grafts.

-Luke

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
Holy Smokes, that's not a cocktail tree,  Its a buffet !   that is a major accomplishment.  I hope they all take.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
Looking good Max. Careful you don't stress the tree. I did the same with my 2 cherimoya trees and I had 50% take on 40 some grafts. Once your tree starts branching it will smother the grafts that took. The other problem is the varieties have different ripening schedules and that will never let the tree rest eventually killing it.

Good Luck

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
Paper lets some light through, which is good.  Foil may give the impression of being underground, with need for rooting maybe.
Har

fruit4me

• View Profile
fruit update 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
Update on my aunt's multigrafted mango tree. Fruits that might make it to maturity are Keitt, Glenn, Florigon, Timotayo, PPK, Amrapili, Carrie, Lancetilla, Julie, Ah Ping, and some asian green mangos. No fruits on NDM, PSM, Cushman, Mallika, Alphonso, Ice Cream,VP, Okrung, Edward.

Timotayo

Lancetilla

PPK

Amrapili

Florigon

Glenn

Carrie

Keitt

Asian green mango(can be eaten sour green or sweet ripen on tree)

Ah Phing and Julie still too small for pictures.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
 thanks for updating with pics. i want to do something like this now!

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »
Pretty interesting! What are the names of the asian green mangos? How about an overall shot of the tree?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
Good God, way to go!  Best of luck........

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
Hello fruitforme, your multigraft tree is awesome! I love how you turned an unproductive tree into a Mango buffet tree. I would love to see a zoomed out shot of the tree. Grafting onto mature and vigorous trees or vigorous seedlings is the way to go if you want a larger mango tree that can produce more fruit, your tree is living proof.

BTW, thanks for the scions of the Asian green mango. The graft took and I'll probably let it hold fruit the following year. It flowered and held fruit this year but I removed all the fruit. Thanks for sharing!

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
great success there.

due to uncertainty here in So Cal with winter freeze, I have all my 16 plus mango trees multi grafted. the ones I like are spread over at least 4 trees in different parts of my yard to ensure survival. right now I got one plat that has three varities holding fruit and other that has two. there are some others that I did not let fruit this year, but am sure next year will be a cocktail buffet.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
Impressive grafting success!

Looking good Max. Careful you don't stress the tree... Once your tree starts branching it will smother the grafts that took. The other problem is the varieties have different ripening schedules and that will never let the tree rest eventually killing it.

Hmmm I am concerned with the different ripening schedules part. Which multi-graft trees are more susceptible to this?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 11:18:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Zeeth, the asian green mangos is from my friend's seedling tree. Calling it Randy's Green.

Behlgarden, my purpose is the same as yours. 

Funlul, don't know the answer to your question.

Here are some more pictures of the entire tree.

Center trunk has disease damage. Something eating the tree down to the bone.

Some fruits from the original tree( looks like manilas?)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 11:37:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Max. Very impressive grafting work.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
wow, impressive grafts Max. Thanks for sharing and good job  ;D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:21 AM »
Great work with the multi-grafts!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 12:22:34 AM »
Awesome growth of your grafts, the tree really filled in a lot. I can't wait for my trees to get that big. Now all you need to do is graft all the newer unpatented Zill varieties!

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:23 AM »
key now would be to shape up the tree so not few grafts take over. this would require delicate pruning and shaping of tree so all grafts grow equal. within a year or two you will get an idea which ones are laggards and may be those will need to be discarded. OR if they are on one side, it can be slow growing one side and aggressive growing on another.

biggest challenge in cocktail trees is controlling growth and shaping the tree. Good job!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »
Great follow up Maxi! Mango lovers in Socal should be inspire by your success.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
Hey Max, do you have an update of your tree? I was wondering how your tree produces from year to year. With so many different varieties on one tree, I'm wondering about the bearing habit. Are some varieties alternate bearing or do you typically get fruit from the majority of varieties from year to year? Have you had any varieties die back? Thanks Max!

Simon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
varieties have different ripening schedules and that will never let the tree rest eventually killing it.

Hmmmmm... Any specific trees that we should worry about stressing?
(and realized I asked the same question one year ago... hahaha!!! I have multi-grafted avocado and fig, they are tough trees right?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:42:50 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
Hey Max, do you have an update of your tree? I was wondering how your tree produces from year to year. With so many different varieties on one tree, I'm wondering about the bearing habit. Are some varieties alternate bearing or do you typically get fruit from the majority of varieties from year to year? Have you had any varieties die back? Thanks Max!

Simon

The mine scaffold trunks  is slowly dying from insects/diseases. Despite the terrible condition its in, it's still fruiting a decent crop. Majority of the tree fruiting this year is the green mangos. Never skip fruiting since grafted. Also fruiting this year are Okrung, PSM, Glenn, Julie, Kesar, Bailey marvel, Lemon Zest, NDM, Lancetilla, Mallika, Carrie and Cowasjee Patel X Pirie. Kiett was fruiting too, but all of a sudden the entire graft died. Cushman starting to have die back too. Both were grafted on the more severely damage part of the tree. No fruit on Alphonso, ice cream(purposely remove) Edward, Amrapili(purposely removed), Duncan, Valencia Pride, Ah Ping, ST MAUI.  All grafts are very short, meaning haven't get to grow much due to fruiting. Only graft that realy took off was Okrung and PPK(some idiot chopped off entire graft).

Sorry, I'm having trouble uploading photos. If I can figure out how, will post pics later.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the report Max! I remember part of your trees trunk was damaged and it looked pretty bad. I wonder if you can head back your tree below the damage and graft the new growth? I'm glad you are still getting fruit from your tree. I need to make sure I let my grafts grow out before allowing them to hold fruit.

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
I understand the big tree has a 'bottle neck" damaged portion from insect/disease, I wonder why not trying to plant a few vigorous kind seedlings around and near the trunk, then graft the seedlings to the trunk above the bottle neck. The seedlings will continue support the old tree even if the bottle neck broke finally. I don't want to see those buffet dishes going down the drain.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »

Simon

The mine scaffold trunks  is slowly dying from insects/diseases. Despite the terrible condition its in, it's still fruiting a decent crop. Majority of the tree fruiting this year is the green mangos. Never skip fruiting since grafted. Also fruiting this year are Okrung, PSM, Glenn, Julie, Kesar, Bailey marvel, Lemon Zest, NDM, Lancetilla, Mallika, Carrie and Cowasjee Patel X Pirie. Kiett was fruiting too, but all of a sudden the entire graft died. Cushman starting to have die back too. Both were grafted on the more severely damage part of the tree. No fruit on Alphonso, ice cream(purposely remove) Edward, Amrapili(purposely removed), Duncan, Valencia Pride, Ah Ping, ST MAUI.  All grafts are very short, meaning haven't get to grow much due to fruiting. Only graft that realy took off was Okrung and PPK(some idiot chopped off entire graft).

Sorry, I'm having trouble uploading photos. If I can figure out how, will post pics later.

I have multi grafts north of 40 on one tree, I am not letting it hold fruit until each graft has had a chance to grow for at least couple of years. that is the key. lack of growth on grafts that you allow to hold fruit is recipe for failure.

apiosiscool

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
Awesome tree! Are you noticing any problems with compatibility or certain varieties competing with others?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
My multigraft mango tree has 12 different varieties on it but the NDM has not been growing for the last year and it's dying back now. Vigorous varieties grafted onto cocktail trees will continue to grow vigorously. Lemon Zest is so vigorous that it can hold fruit and continue to grow vegetatively even in my cooler climate.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
Hey Max, how's your tree doing? I would love to see a picture of how the canopy looks now. I just top worked one of my friends large trees with a few varieties. Thanks,

Simon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
Here’s some updates on how the tree looks. Only lots of ndm fruits so far. Lost a few varieties due to over fruiting and lack of care.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »

Hey Max, the large Mango tree you topworked at your aunts place is a living work of art. Please keep up with all Your grafting experiments, it’s inspirational to see what you’ve accomplished!

Simon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
Mango lovers everywhere are inspired by your Mango Multi . Hoping you can change the diagnosis and save the patient.It's amazing how old diseased or hollow trunk tree's can keep on fruiting prolifically.

Great follow up Maxi! Mango lovers in Socal should be inspire by your success.