Author Topic: Must-Have Fruits  (Read 9854 times)

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Re: Must-Have Fruits
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try enough exotics, but I'm glad for the recommendations.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
Lychee - hak-ip
Mangosteen
Pulasan
Mango - Francelle
Bananas - Namwa

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 06:31:20 AM »
It's sounding more now like a rehash of the old "what are your favorite 5 fruits" question? But since this is purely fantasy maybe i will choose to just come over to your yard and you let me eat all the fruits of your hard labor? HAHAHA
Seriously, being able to access stores doesn't help much in many places because most stores have terrible fruits. The whole point of growing is to be able to access perfectly grown and ripened fruits.
The real question if limited to 5 trees is quality vs. quantity. Seasonal vs. all year round fruits.
Oscar

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »

* chamba (campomanesia lineatifolia), because I read a lot and it seems to be wonderful (I have 3 trees, 3 or 4 years old, not fruiting yet)

Thanks, I never heard of this before! A new one to keep my eye out for...  Sounds kind of like that delicious guava from Mexico that sterilizes all the seeds before they are shipped here so they won't grow. It has an intoxicating aroma and flavor, and is creamy yellow, but I can't get ahold of it here in the States. Wrote a thread about it somewhere. If I extended it to just 20 fruits I could grow, then that guava would probably make my list, but I don't think at only 5 I can include it. I'm growing some 300 different varieties of plant precisely because I'm not good at narrowing down my choices, so growing only 5 would be a huge decision.

I'm starting to think I would choose only rare fruits, because the others at least I could taste in some form if I really wanted. True, they won't be good quality from a store or a can, but at least there is always access to things like mangoes and lychees... but I am really curious about some things I can't get ahold of or grow in reality, that this fantasy world would allow me to try and be successful. When I look at lists of rare tropical fruits, like those grown in SE Asia that don't have English names because they are not well known, my eyes glaze over with longing... So maybe things from those type of lists! I'm going to do some more research before making my decision. I hope I hear more recommendations from others on this thread, because it is so nice to dream about a world in which grow tropical plants is easy and fruits are guaranteed! :)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
First off, I would not worry much about not trying lanzones - nothing special... Kind of bitter, slightly sweet with mostly annoying sticky skin and large seeds per section to deal with. I would much rather have Rambutan or lychees. Big , sweet and juicy!!

For my fruit trees, I would have 1 each of : Durian, mango, Lychee, Starfruit and citrus.

Now to each of these I would graft all my favorite varieties - thereby multiplying my varieties and flavors. Make them all Cocktail trees!!!

1. Durian : Any and all types, but I tend to like the lighter flavored, more whipped cream type ones.
2. Mango tree : most delicious: Carrie, Lemon zest, Edward, Bombay, Kent. Keitt would be on there if it flowered and fruited later on same tree.
3. Lychee : Sweetheart, Hak Ip, Mauritius, and others
4. Starfruit : Kari, Sri kambangen, Fwang tung and others
5  Citrus: Navel orange, pink or red grapefruit, honeybell tangelo, key lime, meyer lemon, and tangerine or two:)

and possibly Jaboticabas. I also really like dragonfruit but if I could not get a variety from one plant, and only five trees, probably not Pitanga.

E.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
For my list, a mix of those I've tasted (+) with those I haven't:
1. Mangosteen (+)
2. Macadamia (+)
3. Mobola Plum
4. Tayberry
5. Atemoya

For the Nut, I considered the Bunya Nut for its usefulness, taste (I haven't, but it's said to be good), productivity (if you don't mind waiting, which I don't) and relative rarity. Ultimately, I decided to go with my unambiguous favorite nut: the Macadamia.

I've heard good things about the last three, and I know #4 to be uncommon, with #3 an absolute rarity outside its native range.

I considered the Mulberry (which I've tasted) for its productivity and usefulness as fodder and medicine, but decided to go with the Tayberry instead.

I considered the Durian, but I've not had enough experience to say I'm willing to grow it at something else's expense. I've only had it once: a whole frozen Monthong, and with my finicky palate I fully expected to hate it. Actually, while a little weird and unconventional, I didn't find its flavor offensive (it didn't put out much smell for me to compare). What I did find weird was the texture, which was mucilaginous and off putting. Was the texture a product of its freezing? 'Cause I expected something far more firm (yet yielding) and agreeable (texture-wise). Ironically, the alleged onion notes were fairly subdued, while I got a far more intense onion taste from a jackfruit, which I expected bubble gum-y. And I was the only one in my group to detect that onion taste, which remained strong no matter how many I ate. Did anyone else have these experiences with Durian and with Jackfruit? I ended up liking the one I expected to hate and hating the one I expected to like.

First off, I would not worry much about not trying lanzones - nothing special... Kind of bitter, slightly sweet with mostly annoying sticky skin and large seeds per section to deal with. I would much rather have Rambutan or lychees. Big , sweet and juicy!!

For my fruit trees, I would have 1 each of : Durian, mango, Lychee, Starfruit and citrus.

Now to each of these I would graft all my favorite varieties - thereby multiplying my varieties and flavors. Make them all Cocktail trees!!!

I actually found Lanzones to be really good; soft and juicy, vaguely reminiscent of grape pulp (flavor-wise). No bitter notes, sticky skin or large seeds, but I've no idea what variety I tasted (it was at Vivero Anones). While Rambutans are good, I haven't found them to be particularly great, with a fairly simple  flavor profile (just sweetness, with a hint of coconut) and an annoying habit of the stone's skin sticking to the inner pulp. Again, no idea as to the variety, but I doubt the ones I've tasted were elite types.

I love the cocktail tree idea, but wouldn't that be kinda cheating?  ::). Let's let the op decide. ;)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »

* chamba (campomanesia lineatifolia), because I read a lot and it seems to be wonderful (I have 3 trees, 3 or 4 years old, not fruiting yet)

Thanks, I never heard of this before! A new one to keep my eye out for...

I think it will be wonderful because I tasted sete capotes (campomanesia guazumifolia) many times and it's a very nice small fruit (acid, sweet, similar to oranges), but our fruiting plant has a bad pulp/seed ratio and it is not the yellow one but the green (I ve 2 more from another sources, not fruiting yet), ... and chamba seems to be much more tasty than sete capotes, the leaves of chamba have a super nice perfume when you crush them or do some tea. So based on the aroma of the leaves, the fruit should be as good as the best orange I could imagine...

http://www.unperiodico.unal.edu.co/dper/article/la-chamba-el-dulce-sabor-de-lo-acido.html

At colombia they do a lot of thing out of chamba: juices, yogurt, ice creams, mermelades, a lot of desserts

http://mirafloresboyaca.blogspot.com.ar/2011/12/la-chamba_8337.html

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/05/21/articulo-sobre-la-chamba-en-diario-colombiano/

http://deliciasculinariasmirafloresboyaca.blogspot.com.ar/2012/11/blog-post.html
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:46:00 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 12:12:50 AM »

1. Durian : Any and all types, but I tend to like the lighter flavored, more whipped cream type ones.
2. Mango tree : most delicious: Carrie, Lemon zest, Edward, Bombay, Kent. Keitt would be on there if it flowered and fruited later on same tree.
3. Lychee : Sweetheart, Hak Ip, Mauritius, and others
4. Starfruit : Kari, Sri kambangen, Fwang tung and others
5  Citrus: Navel orange, pink or red grapefruit, honeybell tangelo, key lime, meyer lemon, and tangerine or two:)

and possibly Jaboticabas. I also really like dragonfruit but if I could not get a variety from one plant, and only five trees, probably not Pitanga.

E.
True what you say about lanzones. What you fail to mention is that longkong and duku, the very close relatives of lanzones (langsat in english) are totally awesome fruits. None of the problems that you mention with lanzones.
Oscar

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
I'll go with:

1. Atemoya
2. Durian
3. Mangosteen
4. Sapodilla
5. Longan

I can tell from your list that you are Vietnamese.  Am I right? ;)

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
My wish list,  of which the only one I have now is Lychee

1. Durian
2. Lychee
3. Mangosteen
4. Sugar Apple
5. Jackfruit

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
Clarification: Yes, cocktail trees are cheating, lol. But points for attempting to find a loophole! No grafting extra plants outside of the 5 to the trunks/branches/vines to get around the 5-plant-only total.

----
I'm still having trouble answering my own question, so I hope to continue to see more answers to give me input! :)

Some of the plants I'm considering at the moment include: Pitangatuba, Okari nut (Terminalia kaernbachii), Pitomba, Salak, Tampoi, African Apricot, Baobab, Burahol, Cambuca, Aglaia edulis...

If I was guaranteed to see fruit in my lifetime, Baobab might make the list for instance because I could eat the leaves in the meantime, and fruiting it even once on US soil to taste it would be quite an accomplishment and really exciting. I guess by that same logic, mangosteen should be considered - but then again, if by the nature of this fantasy I am guaranteed good quality fruit at some point, I suppose it's not much of an accomplishment to take any pride in that in fact my magical-wish trees produced fruit for me, even in the contiguous US.

I guess this is like having a fruit/plant genie grant you 5 plant wishes (and no wishing for more wishes!/cocktail trees). Magical plants that will grow well and produce good quality fruit.

Maybe I should consider cacao, which has more than 1 edible use, and also is fairly medicinal - having use as not only a mild stimulant, but also a diuretic, antioxidant, mood stabilizer, and properties that have been shown to be anti-HIV. That's pretty cool.

Of course, when I think about that, I start to think maybe I should concentrate all my 5 wishes on plants that are primarily medicinal - I mean, wouldn't it be a great service to humanity if I could be guaranteed to grow healthy plants that are very rare and have some of the most potent medicine and needed in the world, so that I could share their medicine with other people because the plant is guaranteed to produce so I don't have to be stingy about hording the fruit to myself?

Lol, to me this is such a philosophical question...
---

In reply to some of the above comments, I would say that for me, durian and jackfruit would not make the list because my experiences so far with the taste of both are pleasant but not something I go wild over. I am currently growing jackfruit though, and plan to attempt durian perhaps next year, so maybe through those experiences some day my answer would change, because I know at least both are prolific food producers with a really interesting aesthetic. If I decide I really love the taste of a particular variety, perhaps this could be worth it to me. But as it stands now, I could take or leave either of them.

My experience tasting Rambutan has been a perpetual disappointment to me. I have only bought them in the stores/farmer's markets, so am likely not sampling any select cultivar, but I am less found of their texture than of the texture of lychee, and to m the flavor has an egg-y quality that I really do not like. Generally speaking, I do not like any fruit that reminds me of eggs, egg nog, etc. I am growing canistel but have never tasted one, and so we'll see someday if it turns out this also means I don't care for canistel or similar fruit.

Many people have high praise for pulasan, so maybe I should consider that on my list, although I have not tasted them yet.

The mention of the mulberry made me realize that even while I enjoy mulberry specifically, and berries in general, I think I am not a big enough fan of berries to likely include any on my list. Same with melons. I LOVE growing bananas, but since I am not actually a big fan of the taste of bananas, I know this would not make the cut for me either.

I don't know much about longkong and duku, maybe I should consider one of them...

Wow, that chamba sounds delicious! At the moment I don't think I like citrus strongly enough to include any on my list, nor anything that tastes strongly like citrus fruits, but I do know that I love the experience of growing lemons, and at one time a Bearss lemon would have made the list. I also would consider growing a tangerine, based purely on the fact that I love the taste, and could eat multiple tangerines every day for the rest of my life if I had the opportunity. They are also a useful plant because I assume that like other citrus, you can cook with the leaves as an herb, and also eat the flowers - something which I do all the time with my other citrus plants. I am growing 2 types of tangerines now but as of this year have only had a single flower, which was the first the plants have ever produced since they are new to my yard and still fairly small.

Ugh, this question is so hard for me because there are so many things I want to grow, choosing only 5 is torture! :)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »
Well, you were the one that started this whole expedition down the yellow brick road in the first place.
Just change the list to the top ten plants. 
Or twenty... or forty...

Oh heck, they are ALL good!!!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk