Author Topic: Jehangir mango  (Read 20325 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Jehangir mango
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »

This is one of the problems that a lot of the direct introductions from India have had here. While they may be much acclaimed in India, their flavor is often very different here grown in our soil. Alphonso is the poster-child for this but a number of other Indian cultivars have experienced this problem too. On top of that they usually have issues with disease and production as well.

Mallika is one cultivar that has been able to buck this trend. Baneshan too.

Oh no! I've got a big, healthy Alphonso in my back yard that still has not fruited! Is there some reason to think that when it finally produces that the fruit might be sub-par. The descriptions of it online are totally delicious-sounding...

Disappointing is the word I would use to describe the flavor of it here in Florida, at least compared to what the expectations are.

Zill actually puts something on the tags relating to how the flavor is different here.

Alphonso was one of the first mangoes that the USDA tried to introduce from India....I think they made multiple attempts and they generally ended in failure/disappointment.

The issue boils down to the difference in soil and climate. My understanding is that in India Alphonso is grown in more of a 'clay' soil, which is quite different from what we have in south Florida. It also seems to get a lot of fungus and mold here.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
I think the other big issue is the difference in climate. From my limited understanding, mangoes from Southern India do well in FL, while mangoes from Northern India do well in socal. I also remember Dr Campbell saying that he's had success growing the more finicky mango trees with his low nitrogen approach.

Disappointing is the word I would use to describe the flavor of it here in Florida, at least compared to what the expectations are.

Zill actually puts something on the tags relating to how the flavor is different here.

Alphonso was one of the first mangoes that the USDA tried to introduce from India....I think they made multiple attempts and they generally ended in failure/disappointment.

The issue boils down to the difference in soil and climate. My understanding is that in India Alphonso is grown in more of a 'clay' soil, which is quite different from what we have in south Florida. It also seems to get a lot of fungus and mold here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:38:52 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »
Has anybody had success growing this mango in Florida or SoCal? It's an Indian cultivar reported to be of exceptional quality and having a dwarf stature.

tasted one today!

it was good!!!

reminded me of carrie somewhat (but much different)

I'm a fan for sure
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
Has anybody had success growing this mango in Florida or SoCal? It's an Indian cultivar reported to be of exceptional quality and having a dwarf stature.

tasted one today!

it was good!!!

I'm a fan for sure

Pictures or it didn't happen.   ;) ;D

Please describe the flesh color and texture.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:54 AM »

tasted one today!

it was good!!!

I'm a fan for sure

Pictures or it didn't happen.   ;) ;D

Please describe the flesh color and texture.

I didn't realize it was worth taking a photo

Have you never tasted this one ?

Flesh was white yellow, the skin was green and covered with lesions (very ugly fruit), like a large round Carrie I guess)

The seed was anything but thin (it bulged out)

Flesh was copious , delicious fiberless, had the piney flavor some sissies detest  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:33 AM »
I've enjoyed the Jehangirs I've had off my tree in Lox this year

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
Here's a quick shot of this mango from the Fairchild mango book from the early 1990's.  Note the eating quality rated at that time was from Fair to Good.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
While the tree seems to be one of the most stunning mango trees in terms of color, disease resistance, growth habit/shape and just overall looks, I have heard that the fruit is basically average at best with some degree of fiber.  As far as the fruit description goes, this is only what I have been told by both locals and people from India so I cannot confirm any accuracies to this.  I will say, as with any variety, taste is subjective and there are no rights or wrongs.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »

our fruit club bought a few boxes of fruit from your farm (after I recommended your services to the president)

so the Jehangir I tasted came from your tree!

here is a pic of the fruit sliced open...sorry lighting is poor...The fruit was getting close to being over ripe (it had a bruised spot)...but 95% of the flesh was delicious.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

our fruit club bought a few boxes of fruit from your farm (after I recommended your services to the president)

here is a pic of the fruit sliced open...sorry lighting is poor...The fruit was getting close to being over ripe (it had a bruised spot)...but 95% of the flesh was delicious.

So flesh color looks to be more of a pale yellow versus "white".  Other than around the seed, was there any fiber?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:56 AM »
the fruit was bruised, and probably close to being over ripe,

the flesh was much lighter than the photo shows.

the pulp around the seed was much yellower...

not too much fiber around the seed.

So flesh color looks to be more of a pale yellow versus "white".  Other than around the seed, was there any fiber?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
Here's a quick shot of this mango from the Fairchild mango book from the early 1990's.  Note the eating quality rated at that time was from Fair to Good.

Well when they said this sucker had a big fat seed they weren't messing around.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
While the tree seems to be one of the most stunning mango trees in terms of color, disease resistance, growth habit/shape and just overall looks, I have heard that the fruit is basically average at best with some degree of fiber.  As far as the fruit description goes, this is only what I have been told by both locals and people from India so I cannot confirm any accuracies to this.  I will say, as with any variety, taste is subjective and there are no rights or wrongs.

the fruit was not really fibrous at all.

I would have to disagree with your description, it's not an average fruit at all.

it's always best to taste a fruit for yourself to formulate a valid opinion, don't just rely on what you've heard from others.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

I would have to disagree with your description, it's not an average fruit at all.

it's always best to taste a fruit for yourself to formulate a valid opinion, don't just rely on what you've heard from others.

Thats why I said it was what I heard (even Alex's assessment in 2012, see above, was well less than stellar but things can and do change) and made the disclaimer (last sentence of my post abouit being subjective).
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
it took about 5 times of eating coconut cream to finally get a good one!

so i never let a bad first impression of a mango fool me!

and don't forget, there's always a chance the person you are relying on for a description, is biased.

for instance, I love mangoes that remind me of carrie, fairchild, tyler, ice cream, jakarta, etc....

that's why it's good to know a bit about the person's psychology, when you are asking them for a description (or their opinion) of a fruit.

Thats why I said it was what I heard (even Alex's assessment in 2012, see above, was well less than stellar but things can and do change) and made the disclaimer (last sentence of my post abouit being subjective).
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
it took about 5 times of eating coconut cream to finally get a good one!

so i never let a bad first impression of a mango fool me!

and don't forget, there's always a chance the person you are relying on for a description, is biased.

for instance, I love mangoes that remind me of carrie, fairchild, tyler, ice cream, jakarta, etc....

that's why it's good to know a bit about the person's psychology, when you are asking them for a description (or their opinion) of a fruit.

Totally agree...oh, and I really like Fairchild.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »
surprised you haven't tasted it already?

maybe it's got some sort of downfall I'm not aware of?  and that's why it's not being planted in groves or sold by nurseries?

the fruit did look susceptible to disease...(or at least discoloration of skin)...

still, i'd grow this one for sure, especially if it's a dwarfish tree.

not sure if Squam has anymore fruit of this type for sale, but i'd be tickled to get a few....with some other similar flavored mangoes (fairchild, carrie, etc.)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »
I think there might be literally one fruit left on that tree.

It's definitely susceptible to scab in loxahatchee. Difficult to judge maturity as a result and have to feel fruits individually. In west palm beach it will probably come out totally clean like everything else, but that tree hasn't begun producing yet.

Tree is dwarf-ish. Compact growth habit. This year was promising in terms of production.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
I had 2 this year grown on Pine Island. Never had this before. The flesh was all white, the skin was green with white specks. Had a resinous green taste. The taste was phenomenal.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:19:51 PM by MarvelMango »
Quentin

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 10:07:06 PM »
I’ve tasted it several times at our mango tastings and it was excellent. It was sweet and had a pale white/yellow color with excellent Indian resin flavor component. I grafted it onto Leo Manuel’s tree and it is growing well. Many people at the Mango tasting(last year) liked this Mango.

Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
I have not gotten to try this yet.  Definitely not widely available yet.
Har

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
I have not gotten to try this yet.  Definitely not widely available yet.

Have you had Alampur Baneshan?

This is pretty similar.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:53 PM »
A long time ago.  Don't remember well.
Har