Author Topic: Mango Top working Suggestions  (Read 2982 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Mango Top working Suggestions
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »
I'm considering Top Working my NDM tree that's in the front yard right next to my driveway and 20ft away from the street.

I find the NDM to be really messy, it drops the most fruit I've seen compared to my other trees.
As for the flavor, I'm not fond of the Thai flavor and don't want to settle for green mangos either (there is a delicious sweet spot but it is hard to hit)

I'm looking for a tree that:
Relatively easy to pick but not red.
Decent shelf life
Productive
Disease resistance
Doesn't drop a ton of juicy fruit splattering on your driveway and car. (I'm okay with some)
7/10 flavor is fine with me.
Vigor does not matter.

I'm being picky, but with so many mangos to choose from might as well shoot for the moon.

So far what I can think of is Seacrest, Valcarrie, Cecilove and Dupuis.
Am I missing anything obvious?

I already have (Angie, Cac, LZ, OS, FP, Glenn, Venus, Edward, Zinc, Edgar, Taralay, Manalita, Pickering, Nelepetite, Cotton Candy, E4)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Top working Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »
How about Sweet Tart? Might not be the easiest to pick but it’s also not the hardest. If picked mature green, they seem to ripen very well.

Simon

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
How about Sweet Tart? Might not be the easiest to pick but it’s also not the hardest. If picked mature green, they seem to ripen very well.

Simon

Hey Simon thanks for the suggestion, this was on my short list but then I heard reports of it having a hard time flowering down here. That's why I'm leaning to cecilove.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »

Simon

Hey Simon thanks for the suggestion, this was on my short list but then I heard reports of it having a hard time flowering down here. That's why I'm leaning to cecilove.

I didn't know that you don't have Sweet Tart. My tree, as you know, flowers every year and holds on to a lot of fruit. This morning, I tasted a small ST mango that had been knocked down by the wind a week ago. I was surprised by the taste. I don't even think it was mature green. :) It does not flower a whole lot, but  holds on to a lot of fruit. From what I see in my yard, it is even more productive than Val Carrie.

I prefer Seacrest to Sweet Tart when it comes to flavor but it hasn't been productive for me.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 12:24:00 AM »
Aren't you having issues with people stealing the fruit from your CAC out front? I'd put in something terrible.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 05:24:48 AM »
Funny. Other side of the city here and my NDM is also a topwork candidate this year. This is the 2nd year in a row that it set very few fruit (maybe a dozen) and, as of a few days ago, it dropped every single fruit (not little nublets but medium sized fruit). So we're going on 2-3 years of no fruit and we don't even like the flavor.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:08 AM »
Aren't you having issues with people stealing the fruit from your CAC out front? I'd put in something terrible.

Correct you are.
I plan on letting the front trees get bigger, I guess if someone steals a few then it won't be as bad.
I was hoping they would go for the NDM instead but i guess the shape of CAC is more what they expect

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 06:29:15 AM »
Funny. Other side of the city here and my NDM is also a topwork candidate this year. This is the 2nd year in a row that it set very few fruit (maybe a dozen) and, as of a few days ago, it dropped every single fruit (not little nublets but medium sized fruit). So we're going on 2-3 years of no fruit and we don't even like the flavor.

It took a good 5 years to produce a good crop.
Last year I had way too many,
I planted it in my pre Zill mango days along with Cogshall, Lancetilla, Carrie. (Already top worked the last two)

The drop pretty big fruit that is decently sweet, weird tree.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:31:47 AM »

Simon

I didn't know that you don't have Sweet Tart. My tree, as you know, flowers every year and holds on to a lot of fruit. This morning, I tasted a small ST mango that had been knocked down by the wind a week ago. I was surprised by the taste. I don't even think it was mature green. :) It does not flower a whole lot, but  holds on to a lot of fruit. From what I see in my yard, it is even more productive than Val Carrie.

I prefer Seacrest to Sweet Tart when it comes to flavor but it hasn't been productive for me.

Sweet Tart would be nice, I'm not the biggest fan though.
I'd rather go with Zinc or P22

Maybe Lil Gem?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 07:08:41 AM »
Give them the Tommy Atkins on lower branches, and something good up high.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
Give them the Tommy Atkins on lower branches, and something good up high.

I started grafted Kuini on a low hanging front branch.
I want to taste the fruit, but I'm sure one will be enough for me.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »

My NDM #4 is productive, but I have topworked it because I (like many others on the forum) am not a big fan of the flavor. Have Taralay, Orange Essence and Himasagar grafted onto the tree. Taralay is the most productive of the three, but I like OE in terms of flavor. 

Mark B

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »
I am also top working an unproductive NDM tree in Miami.  I choose the following cultivars: Glenn, Duncan, Pickering, Venus, ST, Gary, Angie and Carrie (the last 2 mostly for my daughter).  They are all relatively disease resistant, compact growers and regular producers. 

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »
Pina colada 👀

-joe

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »

My NDM #4 is productive, but I have topworked it because I (like many others on the forum) am not a big fan of the flavor. Have Taralay, Orange Essence and Himasagar grafted onto the tree. Taralay is the most productive of the three, but I like OE in terms of flavor.

Taralay is one of my favorite mangoes...... Honey Kiss is a huge producer and fruit is top notch
Joe

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
Pina colada 👀

-joe

That might actually work, its a pretty tree too.
Do you know how productive it is?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »

Simon

Sweet Tart would be nice, I'm not the biggest fan though.
I'd rather go with Zinc or P22

Maybe Lil Gem?

Lil Gem might be a good option. But it is a slow grower.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
Hey Sayid,

I like the Pina colada option, less vigorous pretty good production from what I’ve seen at tropical acres, plus delicious mango to boot. If you have Instagram here is a video I posted on my “less vigor Franken-mango sex experiment”  tree I recently grafted white piri, jehangir, Pina colada onto a NDM this tree is next to my neighbors Carrie. The goal is to have all these less vigorous trees cross pollinate and hopefully produce seedlings of less vigorous bush like growth habit. Most likely will throw some ice cream mango scions in the mix as time goes forward. https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_sVrlDgyP9KS9FLOh5zMC6UXio57pbhu2dzv80/?igshid=e9vmku44iioj

-joe

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I think I'm going to go with Pina colada. Might throw in some Maha and little gem on some of the branches.

I figured it will be easier to gradually topwork the tree if I stick with a similar vigor. Also completely for forgot about Pina colada.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »
Hey Sayid,

I like the Pina colada option, less vigorous pretty good production from what I’ve seen at tropical acres, plus delicious mango to boot. If you have Instagram here is a video I posted on my “less vigor Franken-mango sex experiment”  tree I recently grafted white piri, jehangir, Pina colada onto a NDM this tree is next to my neighbors Carrie. The goal is to have all these less vigorous trees cross pollinate and hopefully produce seedlings of less vigorous bush like growth habit. Most likely will throw some ice cream mango scions in the mix as time goes forward. https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_sVrlDgyP9KS9FLOh5zMC6UXio57pbhu2dzv80/?igshid=e9vmku44iioj

-joe
Joe,

Seems like we're doing the same thing. Im already picking Angie off my NDM tree. (Have a branch grafted)
Tiny seeds but I'm going to plant them.
Hoping to get an indochinese flavor out of it

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
How about a cocktail tree with MBBS resistant varieties and something that can be picked mature green so mango marauders waiting on a color change can be caught off guard by you taking a step ahead of them?
K3? Son pari? M4? Buttercream? (On top of the Pina Colada! 🤤)
Sergio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk