Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Shiikuwasha

(1/11) > >>

lebmung:
Shiikuwasha (Citrus depressa Hayata)
A citrus distributed from the South-west of the Japanese archipelago Okinawa to Taiwan. It grows wild there and along with Tachibana they are very ancient mandarins.

My tree just started to have new growth and flowers at relatively low temperatures 10-15°C.
Very vigorous in growth habit. Not so hardy though. New growth started to melt at 2°C where satsuma didn't have a problem. However it recovered fast in a couple of days.

I will make same tests, with growth habit grafted on PT or on its on roots. See deficiency problems, resistance to alkaline soil and root rot. In spring will also try to remake a PT hybrid which might be a promising rootstock. Many applications with this tree, including shortening juvenile stage.

Who also grows it?

Millet:
I used to live on  Okinawa and never heard of this cultivar.  Let us know from time to time how your Shiikuwasha is doing, I would be interested.

CanadaGrower:
I'm quite surprised you have not heard of it Millet, it's been in vogue in Japan for the past decade or so. Typically speaking a lot of people use it to make a highball with Shochu or more authentically in Okinawa Awamori. A quick wikipedia search revealed that the people of Okinawa used to use Shiikuwasa juice as a form of detergent to wash bashofu a traditional fabric endemic to Okinawa made of leaves from the banana family tree.

mikkel:
Eisenhut in Switzerland has it.
Some fruit pictures:
https://www.eisenhut.ch/dyn/index.php?id=272791&onlyid=140268

lebmung:
Its juice is used by Japanese women to burn fat. It's scientifically proven in several articles that it does so.
It's found in shops as 10% beverage. Harvest is done before it gets yellow.
In Japan there is a Fanta flavoured with Shiikuwasha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version