Author Topic: Jackfruit Variety with the Best Quality Fruit and Tree... and They Said!  (Read 4618 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
If we were to exclude jackfruit varieties that have a crucial problem with them, like low-production, fruit-split, ugly-tree..., what do you Forum Members think is the 'Jackfruit Variety with the Best Fruit and Tree?' With number one being the jackfruit variety with both the best fruit and tree, number two would be second best, etc.

This is my (humble opinion) list. I have all three varieties, but I've so far only tasted the 'Sweet-Fairchild,' I'm waiting for the others to grow and produce.

1   J-31
2   Black Gold
3   Sweet Fairchild
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Jackfruit Variety with the Best Quality Fruit and Tree... and They Said!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
If we were to exclude jackfruit varieties that have a crucial problem with them, like low-production, fruit-split, ugly-tree..., what do you Forum Members think is the 'Jackfruit Variety with the Best Fruit and Tree?' With number one being the jackfruit variety with both the best fruit and tree, number two would be second best, etc.

This is my (humble opinion) list. I have all three varieties, but I've so far only tasted the 'Sweet-Fairchild,' I'm waiting for the others to grow and produce.

1   J-31
2   Black Gold
3   Sweet Fairchild

Are you saying you are ranking two cultivars that you haven't tasted yet above one that you have tasted for your top three?  Or am I misreading?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

pollo696

• Aguadilla/Mayaguez, Puerto Rico Zone 12b/13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
I usually have trouble making out what Leooel says/means, but he does point out he's including the tree (shape/appearance?) as one of his criteria. I think he means he likes how the other two look compared to the third one.
OR maybe he means that he's tasted them from somewhere OTHER than his trees and just hasn't tasted the ones from his trees?
Although I agree with that you shouldn't rank a fruit tree JUST by tree appearance.

Never mind, I don't know what he means.

My personal top 3 are all unknown seedlings from trees I've found in the wild. Best one I had was like a crunchy fruit punch that had extremely little sap when I opened it. Didn't have much of a smell either, which was a big + for me.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:47 AM »
Vietnamese pigmy Jackfruit. Compact easy to maintain. Nice crunchy taste, no latex & you can get it from excalibur in lake worth. ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »

1   J-31
2   Black Gold
3   Sweet Fairchild

Are you saying you are ranking two cultivars that you haven't tasted yet above one that you have tasted for your top three?  Or am I misreading?

Based on my research, when you take into account jackfruit fruit quality and tree quality, I've come to the conclusion that 'J-31' comes out on top.

I am excluding from this list 'seedling jackfruits,' unless they are available for sale/propagation.

It's common knowledge that 'Black Gold' is known to be a great jackfruit tree, with sweet fruit. The only drawback is that its fruit is soft and not crunchy. Crunchy jackfruit fruit is very desired by the Asian community, while the soft flesh kind is not. Because of this, I have to agree with you that perhaps it probably shouldn't be at number two on my list. Although this may be true, I can't wait to taste the soft flesh of 'Black Gold,' when it starts to bear fruit.

The NS-1 has been reported to taste a bit better than the J-31, but the NS-1 is reported to have a problem(s) with the tree. Jeff has reported it to look 'scraggly' at a certain time(s) of the year.

From what I've been able to gather: (1) the best jackfruit 'cultivar' taste and quality fruit is the 'NS-1,' (2) the best quality jackfruit tree, is the 'Black Gold.' And, (3) the jackfruit cultivar with 'both' the best fruit quality/taste & best quality tree, is the 'J-31.'
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
Based on my research, when you take into account jackfruit fruit quality and tree quality, I've come to the conclusion that 'J-31' comes out on top.

I am excluding from this list 'seedling jackfruits,' unless they are available for sale/propagation.

It's common knowledge that 'Black Gold' is known to be a great jackfruit tree, with sweet fruit. The only drawback is that its fruit is soft and not crunchy. Crunchy jackfruit fruit is very desired by the Asian community, while the soft flesh kind is not. Because of this, I have to agree with you that perhaps it probably shouldn't be at number two on my list. Although this may be true, I can't wait to taste the soft flesh of 'Black Gold,' when it starts to bear fruit.

The NS-1 has been reported to taste a bit better than the J-31, but the NS-1 is reported to have a problem(s) with the tree. Jeff has reported it to look 'scraggly' at a certain time(s) of the year.

From what I've been able to gather: (1) the best jackfruit 'cultivar' taste and quality fruit is the 'NS-1,' (2) the best quality jackfruit tree, is the 'Black Gold.' And, (3) the jackfruit cultivar with 'both' the best fruit quality/taste & best quality tree, is the 'J-31.'

Ah ha.....OK, so this was like a research thesis.  OK....well, I find it generally well reasoned but I am not sure that you would cone to the same conclusions of you had all of the world's best jakfruit trees and fruit in front of you for actual inspection and tasting......or even the other cultivars available here that you have not yet tried.

A couple of comments about your choices:

From my experience, Black Gold is a great tree as far as its look and growth habit.  I haven't seen many others that can rival it full canopy and excellent disease resistance.....but I am sure there are some somewhere that could. However, maybe not locally at this time anyway.

NS-1 is an excellent tasting jakfruit but not the best that I have ever tried and I am sure there are better ones than the ones that I have tried out there in the world yet to be tasted by me. Even locally, NS1 was surpassed in flavor for me even by J-31 .  Of course, this is a matter of opinion.

Sweet Fairchild, I have yet to taste and therefore cannot comment.

J-31 is a good producer and an excellent fruit taste-wise.  Whether it is the best considering the tree and fruit quality its highly debatable.

There are a few other jaks I think you should try before you reach your final conclusions.  I know you are just talking about commercially available, in the area, trees.  But there are quite a few to still consider.  You have the Mai group......1,2,and 3.....of which probably 1 and 3 might be considerations.  Then there are the Bangkok Lemon, Lemon Crunch and red fleshed fruits, like Borneo Red and Dang Suria.  I haven't had the latter as of yet either, so I really can't give you too much in the way of guidance.

Then there are the Australian jaks that I am dying to try.  I know since those are unavailable here they do not come into consideration.

So my point....keep an open mind (and mouth) and keep tasting and analyzing.....and of course posting.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
Vietnamese pigmy Jackfruit. Compact easy to maintain. Nice crunchy taste, no latex & you can get it from excalibur in lake worth. ;D

I did not turn up much with a google search.   Could you tell us a bit more about this cultivar?   Is the fruit sweet and rich?  How does the tree handle Florida's (relatively) cool, dry winters?

Thanks.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »

Sounds like that variety is a short tree. And, what about the fruit, if the fruit are small, to me that amounts to a reduction in overall quality of this variety. If you could answer the questions posted by 'Forum Member' mangomandan, we would all know more about the fruit characteristics of this variety that you have mentioned.

Harry, thank you for making my day, you said that you've tasted both the 'NS-1' and the 'J-31,' and of the two, you liked the taste of the 'J-31' better. I can't wait for my 'J-31' to grow and bear fruit. Then, I plan to compare the taste to the 'Black Gold' and the 'Sweet Fairchild,' thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:11:59 PM by LEOOEL »