Author Topic: “Karen Michelle” Mango  (Read 1887 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
“Karen Michelle” Mango
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
Wow, picked up a “Karen Michelle” Mango and just bit into it. It’s a fiberless, large, excellent mango. At first taste it’s like a del monte fruit cocktail, then close to the center it’s a creamy pina colada mix with the cherry smushed up and mixed around. Delicious.

Does anybody know the story on this one from ZHPP? Parentage? Was it part of the Zill performance mango program?

MostGrowersFarm

• Bokeelia, Florida, USA (Zone 10a)
    • View Profile
Re: “Karen Michelle” Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »
Where did you pick up the mango? I'd love to try it! It was part of Zill's program. I believe it is a seedling of Edward

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
Yea I need to get some mangos I feel like I’m missing out this year!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 12:05:47 PM »
Wow, it sounds really delicious!   TAF (Tropical Acres Farms) states that this mango was named for Craig Campbell's wife.  Who is he in relation to Carl and Richard Campbell (father and son)?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:52:33 PM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »
Where did you pick up the mango? I'd love to try it! It was part of Zill's program. I believe it is a seedling of Edward

Got it at ZHHP

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
Does anyone know the growth habit of the tree? Productivity? Disease resistance? Thanks

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »
Nice description bud.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
Does anyone know the growth habit of the tree? Productivity? Disease resistance? Thanks
TAF says low productivity.  Wait a minute.  You got it from ZHPP, and you didn't ask them these questions?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:55:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:12 PM »
TAF says low productivity.  Wait a minute.  You got it from ZHPP, and you didn't ask them these questions?

Haha! Well when you put it like that...I look kinda silly

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
John, i was there the other day as well. The sales manager Pho( or Phi, pardon if i spelled wrong) was probably out in the nursery, not  there and could not see Gary either. The two ladies at the desk were there just to collect money after the sale of mangoes. Plus due to Covid they were doing a line outside with only one person in at a time, i bought and left so that others in line get to come in sooner. Had a lot of questions myself regarding release of newer varieties but it just did not seem like the setting die to Covid panic.
Satya

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
John, i was there the other day as well. The sales manager Pho( or Phi, pardon if i spelled wrong) was probably out in the nursery, not  there and could not see Gary either. The two ladies at the desk were there just to collect money after the sale of mangoes. Plus due to Covid they were doing a line outside with only one person in at a time, i bought and left so that others in line get to come in sooner. Had a lot of questions myself regarding release of newer varieties but it just did not seem like the setting die to Covid panic.
Gotcha!
John

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »

Phi is VERY knowledgeable! I was also there recently but decided to pass on Karen Michelle since I have not had it nor know anyone else that has but your description is very intriguing 🧐🤔
Sergio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk