Author Topic: Grape for Florida Tari's Burgundy  (Read 28621 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Grape for Florida Tari's Burgundy
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
I've tried a few different variety and they all seem to croak eventually. However the Tari's Burgundy has survived and flourishing. I got around 5 pounds of fruit last summer and my vine has developing fruit now. It taste pretty good.  Anyone have any tips on growing grape?  How do I propagate this one?  Lots of info out there of course but my neighbors want this variety.  How do I propagate Tari's burgandy? Thnx

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:50:13 AM by Central Floridave »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Grape for Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »
you can propagate the grape vine by air layer...much faster.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
Nice, thanks.  I've air layered croton and lychee so have some experience with that. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
I'm picking up a 3 gal from Benders tomorrow and was just wondering if you could tell me a little about what makes this grape thrive.  Did it defoliate over winter?  Sun, water, fert requirements?  Look forward to getting it in the ground.  Thanks!
- Marley

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:49:03 PM »
I'm picking up a 3 gal from Benders tomorrow and was just wondering if you could tell me a little about what makes this grape thrive.  Did it defoliate over winter?  Sun, water, fert requirements?  Look forward to getting it in the ground.  Thanks!

I was just going to ask where Dave bought his.  Lucky for you, you found one.  I can't wait to get some in the ground myself. I hope we are as successful as Dave.

Thanks Dave for the encouraging report. In in central Florida too. Clermont.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
My Tari Bunch Grape is also fruiting, and is the only one of my grape vines to emerge from dormancy. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »

I was just going to ask where Dave bought his.  Lucky for you, you found one.  I can't wait to get some in the ground myself. I hope we are as successful as Dave.

I heard somewhere that PIN may be selling them and they will ship.  Lucky for me I had a friend who was making a trip down to Fort Lauderdale and was willing to stop at Benders.  Mike said it was his last one.
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
@Central Floridave ---- could you put Tari burgundy grape in the title for easier archive search?

posted by Harry Hauseman a few years ago

Harry said--- From Jul 17, 2011 Grapes anyone? Tari's Burgundy Bunch is the cultivar.

source--- http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2186487/yard-update-7-17-11

Tari is propagated by Pine Island Nursery. They might have them in stock.      Benders Grove in Broward has them via Pine Island. Based on availability of course

last week--- my Tari lots of leaves and tiny bunches while my muscadines are still dormant

Tari at its base at ground level, you see lots of wood chip mulch here. Tari thickness here is one inch maybe more in two years growth......bought as a 3 gallon from Benders Grove.

tari chaos!     I have to neaten it up for best grape yield.    I use Home Depot synthetic fiber twine until I put in steel wires. Twine degrades in one summer

dormant Ison black muscadine (Bender's Grove might have this one via Pine Island) that Tari is invading its space. All the grape leaves you see on this trellis are Tari extending from 17 ft away. No Ison leaves visble due to dormancy.

White trellis posts are 4 x 4 in cement. I have to make this lots nicer looking. I have not done anything in this corner since 2014. Neighbors bananas lurking in the background

Tari taking  over, hijacking the Ison trellis that does have steel wires
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:24:36 AM by zands »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Are those resistant to Pierces disease or something? I was under the impression we really couldn't do bunch grapes down here.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: Grape for Florida Tari's Burgundy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
I don't know anything about grape disease but the others I tried did die after a year and a half.  This Tari's Burgundy is planted in the same spot of the others and similar care.  Yes, went dormant/leafless over the winter.  Fertilize with just basic palm-special fertilizer.  I am hand watering once a week to help with fruit development.  I've had no rain in over a month.   Its in full sun.  I was going to trim the vine back to one stem in February, but I forgot/got-lazy, and let it grow from last year's old growth.  Purchased at Brevard Tropical Fruit club annual tree sale a few years back.  (Pine Island Nursery was the source).  Btw, That fruit tree sale is coming up.  April 25th. 

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
Are those resistant to Pierces disease or something? I was under the impression we really couldn't do bunch grapes down here.

It is a hybrid, with muscadine grapes. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
Great info and pics. Thanks guys.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
Anybody know what is this crud going on the leaf. Insect damage? Disease.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
Anybody know what is this crud going on the leaf. Insect damage? Disease.

Anyone? It looks similar to damage the pickle worm does to my cucumber vines but not quite. Any webs on the underside of leaves?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
never had anything like that I my vine so can't comment
~Jeff

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Yesterday I installed my Burgundy grape.  The plan is to screw a 4'x8' wooden trellis between two landscape timbers for the vine to climb. 

- Marley

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »

while doing some research i read that at least some of the hybrids need to be grafted on to a rootstock.

I heard somewhere that PIN may be selling them and they will ship.  Lucky for me I had a friend who was making a trip down to Fort Lauderdale and was willing to stop at Benders.  Mike said it was his last one.

i can confirm. i picked one up for $15 on friday

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »
Yesterday I installed my Burgundy grape.  The plan is to screw a 4'x8' wooden trellis between two landscape timbers for the vine to climb. 

Will the trellis be up against the wall? I found out the hard way its better to grow grapes on a trellis out in the open, out in the sun and not up against the wall.

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
does anybody know  about frost hardiness?  zone 8b?
treefrog land and cattle company

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:04:16 PM »
I wish I could leave right now and go get one. It will probably be a month or so before I can make the trip. Glad to know it's out there tho.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »

while doing some research i read that at least some of the hybrids need to be grafted on to a rootstock.

Does anyone know if they could be grafted to esyablished wild Florida grape vines?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »

We have a new bunch grape available called Dunstons Dream. Available in 1-gal size with trellis $25

Any Dunstons Dream photos and infos?

info on Mr Dunston grape breeder http://floridagrapes.com/dunstan/dunstanlist/

@gunnar
How is your Tari Burgundy Bunch doing? Mine is the best performing grape I have. Putting out more young bunches than any of my muscadines in any year. And the bunches are thriving and getting bigger. I have bunches of varying sizes meaning second and (probably) third blooms

Mr Bender usually has Tari

my Tari coming along a few days ago:      you bet I am excited!

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
It's loaded with bunches of green fruit atm.  Seems liek a real-winner for our area.  Hassle-free so far, and broke dormancy before all my other grape varieties.
~Jeff

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Does anyone know if there is additional information on "Dunstans Dream" CV?  Thanks.
- Marley

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »

You can.  I have a vineyard of vinifera grapes only and even though we have strong Pierce's Disease pressures our huge local vineyard/winery industry has overcome it by using imidacloprid sprays which actually repels sharpshooters before they get into the xylem.  We also have to spray with fungicides.  You might be able to grow viniferas or French-Am. hybrids using neem oil sprays.  We have one such organic grower doing just that and is not only very successful but makes excellent wines.  He's also in this area that only gets around 28" of rain a year.

Bottom line?  May sound snooty but if I couldn't grow premium viniferas, I wouldn't grow grapes at all.  Here's a customer holding up a 2 lb. Tannat cluster.  Tannat makes an excellent red that in Texas tastes much like a very fine Zinfandel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk