Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

kishu mandarin x poncirus?

<< < (4/4)

swincher:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on January 18, 2021, 08:15:57 PM ---my nephews were eating kishu mandarins this week and I've told them if they ever find a seed to save it which they did. So now I have a lone seed that I've planted, whatever grows may be a hybrid if it didn't pollinate itself?
--- End quote ---

I also found a single kishu seed last week in a large bag of fruit, but I just threw it in my tub of misc citrus seeds to sprout, it'll never be identified again. I liked the idea of having mystery citrus seedlings but now I wish I'd kept that one separate.

vnomonee:

--- Quote from: swincher on January 24, 2021, 01:38:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: vnomonee on January 18, 2021, 08:15:57 PM ---my nephews were eating kishu mandarins this week and I've told them if they ever find a seed to save it which they did. So now I have a lone seed that I've planted, whatever grows may be a hybrid if it didn't pollinate itself?
--- End quote ---

I also found a single kishu seed last week in a large bag of fruit, but I just threw it in my tub of misc citrus seeds to sprout, it'll never be identified again. I liked the idea of having mystery citrus seedlings but now I wish I'd kept that one separate.

--- End quote ---

If your seed geminated here is what it might look like, although looking at pictures online of a mature kishu tree I'm not sure that the seed I grew hasn't been crossed with something else or if the leaves will continue to change as the plant grows up

Kishu seedling: 6-7 months old. top growth was attacked by beetles

top newer growth

bottom young leaf

Walt:
Seedless Kishu has a dominant gene for seed abortion.  So using its pollen, about half of its seedlings should be seedless.

swincher:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on July 16, 2021, 10:59:30 PM ---If your seed geminated here is what it might look like, although looking at pictures online of a mature kishu tree I'm not sure that the seed I grew hasn't been crossed with something else or if the leaves will continue to change as the plant grows up

--- End quote ---

I missed this post earlier! Neither of my surviving mystery citrus look like yours, so I'm guessing they were from the half-dozen other things I put in that jar. I lost about 7 due to neglect (poor placement relative to the spray nozzles for my vacation watering system during an extended trip), but I do still have two that are doing pretty well now.

Here's one (oldest leaves first, then newer leaves), which I believe had only one embryo in the seed:

And here's the other one, which was polyembryonic, but the other ones didn't make it:

By comparison, here's a satsuma seedling, which actually looks closer to yours (makes sense as a mandarin), so I'm pretty sure neither mystery seedling is a satsuma:

Till:
When more than the first two leaves are paired that is most likely a sign of some Poncirus influence. Some of my F2 Poncirus hybrids  behave like that. It can also happen in F1 Poncirus hybrids but there it is not so common. They usually tend to produce no paired leaves at all and some form of alternate prophylla.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version