Author Topic: Jackfruit care  (Read 4159 times)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Jackfruit care
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Why are the leafs of my crunchy lemon jackfruit turning yellow/orange and falling off? Is it lacking iron or something? It's well drained soil (Coral Springs  coral) and wAtered 2 times a week deeply.

Joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit care
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
When you say water deeply,  is that hose watered?

How long has it been in the ground?  What is your soil like?  Coral springs can have an abundance of rock.

Hard to tell but it looks like the grass is close up to the trunk.  If I am correct, I would pull back away in a 3 foot radius.   Apply mulch liberally leaving a 12" - 18" area free around the trunk.  Fertilize and make sure it gets sufficient water.  At least three times a week with the weather we have been having.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
I have the same question, i don't like yellow leaves. My neighbour told me it was from the "cold". My tree is fast growing now but also has yellow leaves all the time.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
When you say water deeply,  is that hose watered?

How long has it been in the ground?  What is your soil like?  Coral springs can have an abundance of rock.

Hard to tell but it looks like the grass is close up to the trunk.  If I am correct, I would pull back away in a 3 foot radius.   Apply mulch liberally leaving a 12" - 18" area free around the trunk.  Fertilize and make sure it gets sufficient water.  At least three times a week with the weather we have been having.
The soil is rock about 8" down, yes hose water, no grass around the trunk has a 3 foot mulch ring 4" deep, been in the ground 1 1/2 years, Rob what type of fertilizer (NPK ratio) should I use?
Joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »
Use 8-3-9 and you could supplement with liquid minors.   Has it always had the yellow leaves?  It looks otherwise healthy from what I can see,  I do not see any obvious deficiency in the majority of the leaves.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
If it is just a recent thing, it is probably just the time of the year.  It is very dry and the tree will dump some of the leaves to conserve moisture.  I certainly cannot keep up with the watering needs of my trees. The tree has probably adjusted to the current watering schedule.  Hopefully the summer rains will be here soon. 

My understanding is that old leaves turn yellow when the tree puts them on the chopping block. The reusable nutrients in the old leaves are sucked back into the wood and are later fed to the future new growth. I think a tree that is fed more frequently with smaller fert doses will hold a larger canopy of leaves.
Brandon

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
I had the same issue with a couple of my jackfruits. Har was over and said that older leaves turning yellow and dropping is possibly a sign of the tree needing nitrogen. My Excalibur red is planted in my old garden patch and doesn't show these signs, probably because I used to dump black kow manure all over the garden.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Use 8-3-9 and you could supplement with liquid minors.   Has it always had the yellow leaves?  It looks otherwise healthy from what I can see,  I do not see any obvious deficiency in the majority of the leaves.
Tree is healthy otherwise, some of the green leaves have small black spots on them, and the yellowing just started about a month ago, I will try more fert and more water until the rains come! thank you guys for your help as always!
Joe

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
A few of my trees (Jaks)  are doing this.  I am irrigating them (sprinklers) almost daily, and they have been fed monthly starting in March.  Also have been iron drenched and foliar sprayed.  I think it's just time of year ... Heat, low humidity ( relatively), and lack of rainfall.  Hopefully no big deal.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
That tree looks pretty healthy from what I can see, if its growing and the new growth looks fine I wouldn't worry so much...

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
My Jacks are dropping their leaves every year and regrow fine

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »
Does the Crunchy Lemon have a lemon taste like Bangok Lemon does?
Brad

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
All three of my jacks do this. As new growth pushes, leaves that are at the proximal end of the branches turn yellow and fall off. The trees are all very healthy. I never have a large amount of yellow leaves dropping, only a handful every month, but the trees stay very bushy. My carambola does this twice a year as well....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk