Author Topic: Planting at the fire station  (Read 8901 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Planting at the fire station
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
At station two, we have a Mauritius lychee, Marcus pumpkin avo, a seven foot tall seedling avo that we hope will put out good fruits... No plans to graft on to it now, we have nine or ten smaller avo seedlings that we will graft with various Hawaiian cultivars, a Multi grafted citrus, an Excalibur Mamey and magana Mamey. On the back patio is a jaboticaba surrounded by sweet pepper plants, tomatoes, and carrots. We also have several banana mats starting... From dwarf cavendish, to a black cavendish variety I got from a Cuban, plantains, dwarf namwah. And another dwarf variety that has only grown  a foot in two years, despite all the ones next to it growing multiple feet and shooting out pups. My goal this year was to get several trees and the fertilizer to take care of them, and it was approved. It helps that on my shift there is another ff who likes fruit trees and veggies, and another ff on another shift that tends to the herb garden we have outside the kitchen
:) good stuff! Can't wait for 5 years to go by.....

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Don't forget, there is a Coconut cream mango at station #5 with a half dozen fruit on it right now!

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
I forgot, there are also three jackfruit seedlings by the bananas

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
Mike and Mike,
You guys need to come back!  Now, I have another reason to send you guys a couple more trees!
You are doing a great job!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
applause...applause....Mike!

Makes me want to approach our local fire station
and inquire...problem here is, I'd have to set up
a sprinkler/drip system for the plants...

Gary

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
At station two, we have a Mauritius lychee, Marcus pumpkin avo, a seven foot tall seedling avo that we hope will put out good fruits... No plans to graft on to it now, we have nine or ten smaller avo seedlings that we will graft with various Hawaiian cultivars, a Multi grafted citrus, an Excalibur Mamey and magana Mamey. On the back patio is a jaboticaba surrounded by sweet pepper plants, tomatoes, and carrots. We also have several banana mats starting... From dwarf cavendish, to a black cavendish variety I got from a Cuban, plantains, dwarf namwah. And another dwarf variety that has only grown  a foot in two years, despite all the ones next to it growing multiple feet and shooting out pups. My goal this year was to get several trees and the fertilizer to take care of them, and it was approved. It helps that on my shift there is another ff who likes fruit trees and veggies, and another ff on another shift that tends to the herb garden we have outside the kitchen

What the hell is a black cavendish? I have never heard of that, and being cuban I know of the cuban propensity to make up names for things they dont know the name of. So can you shed some light?
- David Antonio Garcia

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
What you guys are doing is so cool!

I'd be tempted to do some guerrilla planting on municipal sites, but can't find landscaping attire in my size.........   :)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
My fear at planting at these Municipal sites or an public places.....would be they're public...the fruit looters, bums, tropical fruit forum members*....would raid these places lol
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

cwojo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »

What the hell is a black cavendish? I have never heard of that, and being cuban I know of the cuban propensity to make up names for things they dont know the name of. So can you shed some light?
You all love making up names. The "donkey smasher" plantain he gave me was probably just "burro", but he said you make tostones from them, and fried plantains from the Hawaiian plantains. He called it black cavendish because the entire pseudo stem was black, instead of green or brown as other varieties... It grew to about twelve feet and then fruits, with the flower and fruit about six feet in length.

cwojo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »
That is awesome ! we have a few Firefighters here, Im a FPI ;)..
Next time im in the BB area would like to check out the Station's Fruit Grove..

Ed..
Would love to show you around the station and the yard... Come on a boynton C shift and you can visit mikesid's station and then mine in the same day

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk