Author Topic: Fruit Bearing Bushes for 9B  (Read 4172 times)

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Fruit Bearing Bushes for 9B
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
I’m hoping to rip out a couple bushes which hide my AC unit and replace them with something that will bear fruit. I’ve already got a cherry of rio grande elsewhere. The other shrubs I can think of are blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and Surinam cherries. Does anyone have any other ideas for something compact which will grow in 9B? Opinions on good cultivars of the above mentioned bushes would also be helpful.

Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:27:48 PM by Yook »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Bearing Bushes for 9B
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
Pitomba pitangatuba jaboticaba auchacharu atemoya grumachama

Spell check said I spelled five wrong

You can grow a lot here

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
I'd stay away from raspberries or black berries near your ac unless you want to trim them a lot. I vote blueberries :)
-Kris

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
Raspberryes and blackberryes are a lot better tasting than blueberryes in my opinion.Blueberryes taste like a bland apple with a hint of plum and the only thing i like at them its the texture.You could try persimmon trees from different species ,seaberryes but beware of thorns and manny otther shrubs.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »
Persian mulberry, bush form. Love 'em, not as purely sweet as the pakistani mulberries (trees).

CAdreamer

• Redwood City, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:23:37 AM »
How about ugni molinae.  They look nice all year and will help cover the unit.   

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:31:33 AM »
I would not do raspberries.  They struggle in the summer and die in my 9b heat.  Blackberries do better.  You can buy Brazos blackberries if you want something more tart.  My experience with ugni molinae is that they croak if temp goes over 100.
Blueberries have done great.  Cherry of Rio Grande needs afternoon shade.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:18:00 AM »
walked by a pomegranate hedge today no taller than 5’, filled with fruit.   Pretty smart.

Yook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
Appreciate the replies everyone. I've already got a cherry of the rio grande and it's seeming to do well. I have a dwarf everbearing mulberry too. I had heard that the only raspberries that grow down here are the mysore variety which doesn't taste too great.

Blackberries might be too similar to mulberries though I haven't tasted my own crop yet.

I'm thinking blueberries would be the best choice or maybe a trellis with kiwi or something.

I'd love to get pomegranates to work but I've heard of too many people having a rough time getting fruit in my area:/

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »
Blackberryes are much better tasting than mulberryes.A trelice for kiwi would be probably the best choice nd would grow fast to keep the AC in the shadow.This year i planted an arctic kivi thats self fertile,makes fruits and also has verry decorative foliage.Its called dr. Szymanovski but not sure if its available in USA or if it would do well in your area.

Yook

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
That does look nice. How long is the harvest season?

Can you keep jaboticaba  as a hedge?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »
That does look nice. How long is the harvest season?

Can you keep jaboticaba  as a hedge?
I dont got fruits from my kiwi iet altough it made somme flowers that abandoned.I have a verry young plant.Not all of the arctic kiwis look that beautifull,its usually the males that have those colored leaves but they dont make fruit.dr. Szymannovski kivi has nice leaves but also makes fruits.Its also the best catnip in the world and if you have cats they will love it.As for jaboticaba i have zero experience with it and i dont know.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:48:43 PM by SeaWalnut »

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 11:13:20 PM »
I have struggled with kiwi in zone 9b AZ.  I think I got it down, though.  You will need a male and female, Vincent and Tomuri.  First year they need shade or they will fry.  So, planted mine behind a shrub on an East facing wall in fall.  The first year they barely made it.  This year they are absolutely growing like crazy.
You may want consider passion vine.  It is super easy to grow.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 04:33:43 AM »
Put up a trellis and plant a passion fruit vine.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Yook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 04:04:10 PM »
I’m hoping for something pretty low maintenance so maybe kiwi is out of the question. I wasn’t able to find that variety named after the Dr. except for in Eastern Europe haha.

Coach, do you have any varieties you’d recommend? Looks like yellow passion fruit are supposed to have a longer harvest season, though I can’t really find many sellers online.