Author Topic: Summer Heat Blossoms!  (Read 978 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Summer Heat Blossoms!
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all." - The Emperor in Mulan.

My blood oranges have blooms in the middle of this heatwave of 108 F and over. They could likely turn into the tastiest latest fruits next year! The flowers aren't as plentiful during the first flush in spring, but it would hopefully turn into a second later crop next year. Normally only my lemons and Calamondins continue blooming after the spring flush. This is a first for my potted blood oranges, to bloom in the middle of the heat wave when I already have fruitlets from the spring flush. The blood oranges in bloom are Bream Tarocco, Boukhobza, and California Rojo.

0c1 by Joe Real, on Flickr

0c2 by Joe Real, on Flickr

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Heat Blossoms!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
My Finger Lime, Meyer Lemon, Pomello, Minneola Tangelo, Calamondin, and mexican key lime all started blooming like mad this week too! Every tree already has good fruit sets (and in the case of my meyer several different stages of fruit set) going to be a good year for sure. I walked out to water some stuff last night and was hit with the scent of citrus blooms. I love it, but not my sinuses...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:27:57 PM by zephian »
-Kris

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Heat Blossoms!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
I also have poncirus blooming. Pretty but most have fruit already.