Author Topic: Weirdest tropical fruit plant?  (Read 3334 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Weirdest tropical fruit plant?
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:10:24 AM »
I'm curious what the weirdest (edible) tropical fruiting plant you all know of is.

For me, it's the genus Herrania (I've got a couple seedlings).  They're close cacao relatives (collectively called "Monkey cacao" or "Cacao de monte"), so as with cacao, they produce cauliflorous pods full of edible theobromine/caffeine-rich bitter-chocolatey seeds covered in scant sweet/sour flesh:

But the flowering is a whole different ballgame:

Stems, buds, pods, and even leaves are sometimes hairy (in some species soft velvety hair, in some species irritating hair) and covered in branchlet-like protuberences (my seedlings had them before they even opened up their first seed leaves):

But where herranias go to the extreme in some species is where flowering and fruiting is at various stages with radically different appearances right next to each other:

(I have no clue which particular species mine is, they were sold simply as "Herrania spp." with the description "4 beautiful ecuadorian spp"). Herranias are not cultivated but are sometimes left as an "tolerated weed" in fields, due to farmers' appreciation of the flavor of their fruit. More on Herrania in-depth here: http://biostor.org/reference/62038

Altogether they're some funky plants!

What's your weirdest plant?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:57:47 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

GROWITFROMSEED

• Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Grow It From Seed
Re: Weirdest tropical fruit plant?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Very nice. I have some baby cacao plants on the balcony. These are definitely very strange. But I think there may be different categories of "strange." For example I have a pomegranate seedling that was just about a week old when (somehow) I accidentally tore the top off the stem. For some reason I just left it there in the soil with another sprout. A day later the top was still green. A week later I picked it up to see what was going on and the little thing was growing a new root system! To me that is very weird.
Follow all my tropical fruit and gardening adventures at www.GrowItFromSeed.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »
I dont know about wierd, but the coolest looking fruit vote for me goes to Prainea limpato. Unfortunately my seeds didnt make it.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
I dont know about wierd, but the coolest looking fruit vote for me goes to Prainea limpato. Unfortunately my seeds didnt make it.

Whoa, that's a cool one:

Reminds me of the Pentagonia grandifolia which I planted:

Which unfortunately also didn't make it  :Þ  At least as far as I know...
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »
The strangest one i know must be a buddha's hand citron or salak (gotta love snakes!), but the craziest i am growing is just a rambutan seedling

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk