Author Topic: Cherries in San Diego?  (Read 2940 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Cherries in San Diego?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
What verieties grow well here?  They said lapins at walter anderson nursery but the tag says 400 chill hours.  I don't know if we get that much chill here.
Brad Spaugh

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherries in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
You should have told them whether you're closer to Ramona or Chula Vista. Places like Julian definitely gets much more chill.

Chill hours is also not an exact science. You may or may not need chill hours depending on the fruit and cultivar. I think cherries have hard chill hours. You get a nice leafy tree if you don't have enough.

400 hours is considered low chill though. Normal goes something like 1200.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:06:37 AM »
I've heard that the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee do well in San Diego and many of the local nurseries carry them. Minnie Royal is a polinizer for the Royal Lee, so they need to be paired up. Both are said to require 200-300 chill hours.  Let us know what you choose and how they do!  My kids love cherries and I wouldn't mind a couple, but space is getting tight in my yard.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »
The new ziager low chill Cherry 6gm25 is available now. It was just released this year. You should be able to get it bareroot now. It is supposed to be low chill like Minnie Royal and Royal Lee and delicious. It is also self fertile.

Bill

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
I let them know I live close to the nursery in Poway.  He said lapins will be no problem so I guess I will put one in and see what happens.  They had the royal pair there too but I had read a lot of mixed reviews on those and decided a self pollinating tree would be better.

I have 9.6 acres to work with so if my one tree fails its not the end of the world.

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
The new ziager low chill Cherry 6gm25 is available now. It was just released this year. You should be able to get it bareroot now. It is supposed to be low chill like Minnie Royal and Royal Lee and delicious. It is also self fertile.

Bill

Thanks Bill, if I see that one I will try it.  Hey only had a few types at my local nursery.  Ill have to see what the big box places have. 
Brad Spaugh

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 12:04:07 AM »
Cristobalina is a fourth one worth trying as a low chill cherry. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks I will maybe pick up a few more.  Just put in a cherry, peach, nectarine, apple, persimmon, and plum tree.  Have them all on a 20ftx20ft grid and on a 1" valve.  Trying to get all similar type trees on the same sprinkler line.  And there are still 4 or 5 vacant spots...
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk