Author Topic: Atemoya fruit ripening problem  (Read 3253 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Atemoya fruit ripening problem
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
This year, most if not all of my AP fruits are not ripening properly; to varying degree, the skins started to darken to dark brown, and become thick and hard, the meat gets mushy and taste like rotten fruit.  Never had this experience like this on my annona trees before, and this particular AP tree was producing fine fruits last year, so this is disappointing.
I fed them mostly Osmocote Plus every 4 months, like most of my other 20 trees or so.
Any input or idea of what may have caused this is appreciated.

Sam

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya fruit ripening problem
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
Is it warm enough to ripen the fruit properly?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Two causes that I know that would cause this blackening of atemoya fruits. One is a fungal mummification. Sugar apple is prone to this kind of fungal attack. So atemoya being part SA, it too could suffers the same kind of attack. Certain fruit flies carrying the culprit fungus could also cause the mummification.
The second cause, and this is especially true here in So Cal, is long exposure to dry wind. If the fruits are extensively exposed to dry wind like our Santa Ana wind, this kind of blackening could also develop.
Thera

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
I have a same problem with AP in lake forest this year . I think Santa Ana wind it' the most 

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
Is it warm enough to ripen the fruit properly?
Yes, I am in Southern California flat land, (about 12 Miles inland), the cherimoyas/atemoyas are usually ripening about this time of the year without any issue.

I have a same problem with AP in lake forest this year . I think Santa Ana wind it' the most 
Interestingly, my friend who lives in Riverside County is also having the same problem.

Two causes that I know that would cause this blackening of atemoya fruits. One is a fungal mummification. Sugar apple is prone to this kind of fungal attack. So atemoya being part SA, it too could suffers the same kind of attack. Certain fruit flies carrying the culprit fungus could also cause the mummification.
The second cause, and this is especially true here in So Cal, is long exposure to dry wind. If the fruits are extensively exposed to dry wind like our Santa Ana wind, this kind of blackening could also develop.
Looks like this is not an unknown problem with African Pride atemoya. Yes, my tree got some exposure to some Santa Ana wind when it shows up, so if this is indeed the cause of it, I might need to move it or topwork it with a cherimoya. At the other hand, if it's fungal problem, then I need to do some reading to finding the cure...

So, thanks everyone for your thought and time to response, happy planting and enjoy your holidays!
Sam

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Hi Sam

That looks like it ripen on the tree. I’ve had dozens split and ripening on the trees that’s not a problem. Keep yr eyes on the rest of the fruits so it doesn’t happen again

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
Looks like this is not an unknown problem with African Pride atemoya. Yes, my tree got some exposure to some Santa Ana wind when it shows up, so if this is indeed the cause of it, I might need to move it or topwork it with a cherimoya.

This problem is not specific to atemoya/sugar apple, cherimoyas could get it also.
Thera

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »
Good to know that yours are not afffected, Frank!

Yes, the fruit I am holding on above photo looks like it's ripe off the tree, but even when I picked the fruits that still have normal light green skin, they will slowly "morphed" to dark brown and  become hard and thicken ("mummified", using Thera's terminology) within a few days on the kitchen counter. So, no AP home grown fruits this season for me...

This problem is not specific to atemoya/sugar apple, cherimoyas could get it also.

This is new info to me; I've had a cherimoya tree for many years in my old house, and never once had this issue happened on that tree. Thanks for your input Frank and Thera!

Sam

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 03:31:54 AM »
I had the same problem this year in Southwest Florida. Hot, dry wind isn't a problem here, so it must've been fungus. What can be done?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »
I had the same problem this year in Southwest Florida. Hot, dry wind isn't a problem here, so it must've been fungus. What can be done?
Maybe bag the fruit while young???
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 04:20:34 AM »

This is new info to me; I've had a cherimoya tree for many years in my old house, and never once had this issue happened on that tree. Thanks for your input Frank and Thera!
Can you get scions from that tree?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Can you get scions from that tree?

I used that cherimoya seedling as a rootstock, just went out the yard and looked, it's got 2 sprouts growing up from the bottom rootstock trunk.
Sam

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
Same problems. The segments are expanding but the fruit us unripe. It can't be from too much water we've had very little rain.
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
That fruit is fermenting on the inside. Like others suggested, there was potentially a sting from fruit flies or small cracks in the fruit allowed microorganisms in.

Did you try harvesting some of the fruit a bit earlier?

Simon

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »
That fruit is fermenting on the inside. Like others suggested, there was potentially a sting from fruit flies or small cracks in the fruit allowed microorganisms in.

Did you try harvesting some of the fruit a bit earlier?

Simon

Well, what a coincidence. 2 days ago, out of curiosity, I picked one fruit that is maybe a few days earlier than I normally would pick them, still hard and the skin still green, the seeds didn't even rattled when I shake it. So, it'll be interesting to find out in a few days. Thanks for your input, Simon!

Here's what it looks today:

Sam

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
I opened and tasted the early picked fruit above, and am glad to see that the fruit looks and taste normal inside, other than some part near the stem that seems to have had some bruises.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Sam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk