Author Topic: Leo Manuel's yard tour 10/26/12  (Read 23348 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Leo Manuel's yard tour 10/26/12
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Allow me to simply apologize for the barrage of pictures ;D

A big Thank You to Leo for generously hosting us in his amazingly compact backyard, thank you Simon (simon_grow) for putting this meeting together and making everything possible, it truly was an enjoyable day.  The casts included Leo Manuel himself, Simon, two other forum members we met for the first time known as Gary (mangofang) & Joe (JF), Eunice Messner chauffeured by Joe, Jim Neitzel & Frank (can't seem to recall but I think Jim mentioned Abbott)... and myself.

Simon will provide more details on the Q&A by members here at a later time.

Leo's marked Todo Santos wedge graft  -  multi-grafted tree

Todo Santos mangoes - we were told it's a Mexican cultivar

Moringa - not having much success in front yard

Longan - forgot to ask which cultivar

Passiflora coccinea?

Big jaboticaba tree right in his front porch - doesn't get nearly as much sun (in between properties)

Kensington Pride seedling tree & fruits

Leo's mislabeled "Carrie" seedling tree, I suspect it to be VP seedling - Jim also confirms my VP suspicion

Thomson T-1 mango - according to Leo, Paul Thomson preferred this mango many times over his other commercialized cultivar, Thomson mango.

"Florida sourced" Maha Chanok, multi-grafted onto the same rootstock as the T-1.  That's his dilemma for not cutting the tree back to let Maha Chanok thrive

seedling mango tree

A massive seedling mango that Leo doesn't remember from which cultivar

another seedling selection that's multi-grafted onto the same tree as above

Multi-grafted seedling selections with Simon looking on

Nam Doc Mai bush

dwarf Keitt mango - this tree was allowed to fruit at a young age, doesn't seem to bounce back at all, it's now putting out even more humongous fruits ... poor tree

Jim, mangofang & Eunice admiring the multi-grafted Peggy mango tree ... Jim calls this Peggy tree "the always reliable"

grafted onto the same rootstock as Peggy, forgot which variety this is (U.P.)?  This exposed to the element fruit doesn't seem to fare well

Brewster Lychee - only remaining handful of fruits are on the neighbor's side of the yard

One of the many seedling trees, though this one has not been grafted on yet.  Bottom right hand corner in white grafting tape is a newly grafted Lemon Zest.

Kensington Pride mangoes, the actual KP mango -not KP seedling like his other trees

Leo in the midst of  his backyard jungle

seedling tree's new growth - the colors are absolutely amazing in person

McDill white sapote, fruits in the cluster of 4 in the second picture are bigger than a large navel orange ... unreal

seedling rose apple from one of his other known cultivar, new growth on SoCAL sky backdrop

big macadamia seedling tree, planted just outside of his property line

Pink Panther dragon fruit - He told us but I forgot the actual crosses

Yellow Dragon - even though it hasn't fully filled out, still pretty big fruits for a yellow dragon

Leo's signature hybrid DRAGON TOMATO

San Ignacio (red) - this fruit is massive, the thumb scale doesn't do it justice

huge cherimoya tree's new growth after "severe" pruning - humongous leaves

mangofang, JF & Leo ... you can't really tell but I managed to get in under the low canopy of this Peggy mango to snap this picture - annoying paparazzi skills ;D

Jim discussing plant matters with Eunice

small view of Leo's backyard jungle, left of the cherimoya tree is his Annona hybrid (Atemoya x Cherimoya)

fruits from seedling tree "seedling 3" & fruit of another seedling selection

Eunice's box of mangoes - Edwards, Thomsons & Carnivals

Kent mango knocked off the tree by accident, rock hard & still very green (outside the box)

Leo's favorite fruits ;D

Leo's sampler basket - clockwise from top right:  Peggy, Rose Giant, Rose Giant, seedling 11, Early Gold, Rose Giant (center)

Eunice & Frank in conversation with Jim(not in picture), JF staring at mangofang.  Behind Frank is a multi-grafted Surinam tree

mangofang showing JF & Simon how big a hoop his long arms make, Simon's not impressed

Jim conversing with Eunice & Frank, with JF replacing mangofang in hoop making

Leo finally resting his legs after multiple tours.  Simon, Frank & I arrived earlier...

Jim discussing poly mango seed with JF, mangofang & Simon

Pioneers of SoCAL tropicals - from left to right:  Leo, Eunice, Frank & Jim

Group picture, seated:  Leo, Eunice, Jim.  Back row:  Me, Frank, Gary (mangofang) & Joe (JF)

Group picture, seated:  Leo, Eunice, Jim.  Back row:  Simon, Me, Frank & Gary (mangofang).   Who's the better photographer?  Simon or JF?

Leo giving our group a tour of his back yard

Jim showing Eunice & myself a seedling loquat, 1 of 4 seeds Maurice Kong sent to Leo & Jim.

lone fruit from seedling selection grafted onto turpentine rootstock.  Leo uses turpentine as opposed to manila rootstocks, I forgot what his explanation to JF was.

top worked tree with Kensington Pride seedling.  Notice the graft right above the rope tie?  Branched out from the scion and fruited immediately.  Fuyu persimmon in background

Fuyu persimmon

Jim showing Eunice a multi-grafted apricot tree

Leo's dragon fruit collection, there are WAY MORE pots than my camera can pan out at that distance.  Can't take pictures from too far because they'd be covered by other trees

Gary questioning legitimacy of this PEGGY mango dropping on its own without my helping

Peggy mango with its unique and characteristic protuberance

Leo's generous gift
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:16:26 AM by Tim »
Tim

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Manuel's yard tour 10/26/12
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
Of the mangoes sampled that day, many of us agreed Peggy was clearly the breadwinner.  Not as rich compared to others I've had, but outstanding flavor nonetheless.  Very sweet with a light sub-acid balance that sits just right, very juicy flavor - does that make any sense? 

Monoembryonic seed
Firm flesh
Fiberless
Sweet & nice aroma even before cut open

Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
Great pictures, wish I was there! Looks like an abundance of mangoes to harvest this year. They look like they are going to keep rolling in till the end of November. After looking at the pictures and reading about the descriptions, I want to grow some of these mango varieties lol.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:01:38 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Moorpark Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
I understand how you grow most of your fruit and the conditions required, but how did you grow your lychee so large. Isn't it hard because if the dry Santa Ana winds for the lychee to grow that large?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
Tim,

You guys are truly roll'n in the deep in them tropical fruit in SoCal 8) Truly breath taking pics and inspirational...Them pioneers done a truly amazing job...such mouth watering fruits 8)

I thought only SoFL is a mango powerhouse, Socal is up there too...now, in my book ;)

Thanks so much for sharing guys :) Mangoperro...nice expression on PEGGY ;D

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
It was a pleasure meeting Tim, Simon, Frank and it was a true honor and privilege to have meet Leo and Jim. This was the first time Eunice had visit Leo's orchard and she was thrilled! I was going to visit Paul Fisher's orchard with Jim after Leo's but there was a schedule conflict and we didn't make it this time. We are hoping to meet up in Eunice's and in my house in late April for a mango graft demonstrations by the legends. I hope Simon chimes in on this thread with some of the notes he took. Leo and Jim are the custodians of some the first mango experiments in Southern California. They are involved in the Captain Bucklew project and they have restore some of those earlier cultivars. Most of the mangos we sample were very good to excellent and some are worthy of propagation , notably, Peggy Winter's seedling that's named Ultimate...... an exceptional mango. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:22:57 PM by JF »

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Moorpark guy - I could only wish this is my yard at the moment.  This is the work of a local legend who I greatly respect, Leo Manuel. I did not think to ask how the wind plays a roll in his yard, but assuming it's location, looks to be well protected
Tim

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
Tim, thanks for posting your adventure to Leo Manuel's, I've heard tails from folk's who have gone there. I've been to Eunice's before a couple times amazing Lady nice that she was able to go! I heard that Leo has a black sapote grafted onto a persimmon tree! Did you happen to see it! Very interesting get to gather lot's of CRFG knowledge in that group.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
Thanks for posting this Tim - you are definitely more organized than Joe (JF) and I as we both
forgot our cameras!!!

Of course you're MUCH younger....

:-X

And yes, a huge thanks to Leo for being such a great host and Jim Neitzel for sharing his
wisdom along with Eunice.  We didn't realize Tim and Simon_Grow would be there so it was
lots of fun.

THanks Jackfruit for noticing that one mango just didn't look G-rated to me!

MangoPerrito

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:38 AM »
Great meet-up and great photos. Leo Manuel has so many seedling mango trees. Did he reveal any techniques he has to get them to fruit sooner?
 He is doing so much grafting onto trees..... So it matters less what the tree starts out as, seedling or grafted.

Tip pruning might get a seedling mango tree fruiting sooner. Sources say it does this for grafted mango trees

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
ScottR - yes he did show us that persimmon tree and mentioned of the black sapote graft but unfortunately, it died not too long ago.  I think either Leo or Jim said he's got another one elsewhere but I'm not 100% certain, I was busy taking pictures ;D

He does grow mango trees from seeds but from the looks of it, sooner or later, they get top-worked with multiple varieties.  He allows them to fruit, but doesn't limit them to just that.  During our little poly & mono seed discussion, both Jim & Leo suggested planting mono seeds isn't a terrible idea.  Considering the crosses of great/superior cultivars over many generations, your odds of getting a more than decent mango is fairly high.  Sometimes it does hit that absolute dud dormant genes but then you'd have a really strong and established rootstock ;D
Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
Hey Tim,

I check them pics again properly, Today ;) I liked the pic were you made a fist  :o ''If don't ripen now...i'm going to kick your a**'' ;D ;D ;D

The multi-grafted trees sure is a supreme technology for backyard grower! Instead of having 5 trees...you have one tree with 5 cv's 8) With 5 trees, you have 25 different named varieties ;)  8) Definitely a space saver :)

I surely did underestimate SoCal...you guys sure got top notch mangos over there 8) So, what's the top 5 native cultivars of South California?

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
ScottR - yes he did show us that persimmon tree and mentioned of the black sapote graft but unfortunately, it died not too long ago.  I think either Leo or Jim said he's got another one elsewhere but I'm not 100% certain, I was busy taking pictures ;D

He does grow mango trees from seeds but from the looks of it, sooner or later, they get top-worked with multiple varieties.  He allows them to fruit, but doesn't limit them to just that.  During our little poly & mono seed discussion, both Jim & Leo suggested planting mono seeds isn't a terrible idea.  Considering the crosses of great/superior cultivars over many generations, your odds of getting a more than decent mango is fairly high.  Sometimes it does hit that absolute dud dormant genes but then you'd have a really strong and established rootstock ;D

Thanks Tim. When you are such a seasoned mango grafter like Mr Leo, you can plant what you want and graft multiple mangoes onto it later. One good thing about grafted mangoes is we know when they ripen (at least in Fl)  so we can buy the right mangoes to extend the season. I have disliked only one seedling mango I ate. But with seedling mango trees it's a crap shoot what time of season they ripen.
Meaning you can plant a mango seed and 4-5 years later you will get fruit that happens to turn out good. But when is it ripe? Same time most other mangoes are which is June-July for S Florida. So it's just more fruit overload during the mango rush hour. Meaning you have fruit rotting and you are are giving away tons too.

ZZZZzzzz
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:42:16 AM by zands »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Hey Tim,

I check them pics again properly, Today ;) I liked the pic were you made a fist  :o ''If don't ripen now...i'm going to kick your a**'' ;D ;D ;D

The multi-grafted trees sure is a supreme technology for backyard grower! Instead of having 5 trees...you have one tree with 5 cv's 8) With 5 trees, you have 25 different named varieties ;)  8) Definitely a space saver :)

I surely did underestimate SoCal...you guys sure got top notch mangos over there 8) So, what's the top 5 native cultivars of South California?

My top 5

Ott
Ultimate
Villasenor
Thompson
Coconilla

Todo Santos is not from Socal it is a Mexican mango from Cabo.

Moorpark Guy

there many, many large Lychee trees around Orange County and Socal. Look at the archives..... I am sure I have pics of some of them.

MangoDog

we forgot to give our thanks to Leo's wife Betty for her warm welcome.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:58:58 AM »
Hi Joe,
I forgot i got OTT in the orchard ;D Which is a native mango cultivar from SoCal 8)

• OTT-Origin La Habra heights, William Ott, 1948. Seedling of Saigon. Tree dwarf. Fruit medium, to six inches, orange-yellow with pink blush. Season very early
  • Ultimate-Didn't find no info, on this cv.
  • Villaseņor-Origin Los Angeles, 1950s, Sr. Villaseņor. Tree dwarf, spreading, responds to strong rootstock. Fruit medium, to 12 oz., shape ovate, color greenish yellow, pink blush, flavor mild. Late midseason (Dec Jan). For coast, foothills.
  • Thompson-(syn. Thomson Large Seedling)
    Origin Vista, Paul Thomson, 1966. Manila seedling, polyembryonic. Tree spreading, vigor dependent upon rootstock. Fruit small to medium, (6-12 oz.), yellow, shape flat, to eight inches. Resists mildew. High fiber under chemical fertilizer regime. Season early, long (September-November), ripens well indoors if picked prematurely. For coast
  • Coconilla-Also didn't find any info. Though, I remember the pictures you uploaded and a quote from you ''The  Coconilla is suppose to be the Coconut Cream of California''

Thanks a bunch for sharing your Top 5 mangos from SoCal...They truly sound awesome 8)
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
Hey Tim,

My top 5

Ott
Ultimate
Villasenor
Thompson
Coconilla

Moorpark Guy

there many, many large Lychee trees around Orange County and Socal. Look at the archives..... I am sure I have pics of some of them.

MangoDog

Where can I find these mango cultivars?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
Joe & Gary - I know Eunice said the Carnival mangoes she brought were not up to par but from the ones sampled at Leo's, how would you rate Peggy & Early Gold?
Tim

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »
Hey Tim,

My top 5

Ott
Ultimate
Villasenor
Thompson
Coconilla

Moorpark Guy

MangoDog

Where can I find these mango cultivars?

I have Thompson. The others I am working on. I'll have some budwood to share with you in late April,May.

Steven

Unfortunately, the only varieties that are being propagated (LaVerne) in California are Thompson and Villaseņor. Coconilla is Eunice Messner mango.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:27:47 PM by JF »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
Joe & Gary - I know Eunice said the Carnival mangoes she brought were not up to par but from the ones sampled at Leo's, how would you rate Peggy & Early Gold?

Tim

Jim told me that Peggy's is called Ultimate, or something like that, because there is another variety in Florida by the same last name of Winter(20222). The Early Gold we had was a chance seedling of that variety from Captain Bucklew. I will call Jim and confirm. I think both of those mangos are excellent. Like I said, I don't know why they havent been propagated....they are superior mangos in the same category as Dot or Fairchild.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 08:01:07 AM »
Hi Joe,

So, Coconilla is a seedling tree from Eunice Messner 8) That explains why there is no info online.
Time is like a river.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
Tim, thank you very much for sharing the pictures and information! Great paparazzi skills... LOL

Looks like you all had a great time. On the other had it's also great to get all the experience and expertise from such horticulture veterans!

BTW, very cute mango eating ladys you have there... looks like the next fruitlover generation ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:26:39 AM by Felipe »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
Tim spent a lot of time on photographs and captions and posting them. Some of those tropical fruit elders have few or none photographs on the internet. So now they are there for people to look and learn from in the future. Ha...looks like Tim's daughters eating mango
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:44:21 AM by zands »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
Mr. Jackfruit - the Coconilla from what I remember Eunice saying, was a chance Manilla seedling
that apparently has coconut overtones - I've never tasted one to see.

Tim - I loved the Peggy Winter (Ie Ultimate mango or whatever it may be) - I thought it was the superior tasting one of the bunch we tasted.  The Carnival was so-so in comparison.  I don't remember the Early Gold - but I think it must have still fell short of Ms. Peggy......

"Thank you BETTY (Leo's wife) for ushering us into your tropical heaven!!!!!!"

Fang of the Mango

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Hi MangoFang,

I checked out Manilla mango on Google images, from what i noticed is that Atualfo and Coconilla have some thing in common...they are both offsprings of the Manilla Mango 8)
Time is like a river.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Betty Manuel was first class.

lol  I always use my fists as size reference cuz it's gnarly big.

Thank you Zands & Felipe for the kind remarks as well.  Just happy to share an enjoyable day.  You know, I thought Leo would kick me out off his property for that behind the bush shot ;D

mangofang - I'm only a couple years younger, don't short change yourself.

JF - thanks for the Peggy/Ultimate clarification.  You guys speak so highly of Thomson mangoes, I wonder how much flavor improvement from the Manila?  I like Manila but that's because they're always available.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:23:11 PM by Tim »
Tim