Author Topic: Will the old threads be transferred?  (Read 2521 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Will the old threads be transferred?
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
What will happen to all the old threads from the original Veg forum? Will the non-spam ones be transferred here?

Or do we have to start all over again and re-create each of them? Because there were already a lot of good topics started, some with photos and//or videos, and lots of other useful information...

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Will the old threads be transferred?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
Im sure that would have to be done manualy and would be pretty difficult i.e not gonna happen!

No worries though we will buid it back up in time and this is here to stay. People should be way more active on here than they were on the old site.

Think we should be happy the Admins did this for us and not ask to much. After all this isnt a money generating site at all so its all just a labour of love.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm grateful to the admins, and I wouldn't add this to their workload. But it would truly be a shame to lose all that good information. This subforum is slow as it is, I'm not convinced we'd get all the information back in the long run. If it's all right with the admins, I'd like to take a shot at transferring all the threads over here. And if they can't be transferred in a traditional sense (like when an off-topic thread gets moved to its proper subforum), I could make new counterparts to those threads and move their contents by way of quotes. Tedious, I'm sure, but I'm willing. Can it be done? I'm here, ready and willing.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:06 AM »
I'm grateful to the admins, and I wouldn't add this to their workload. But it would truly be a shame to lose all that good information. This subforum is slow as it is, I'm not convinced we'd get all the information back in the long run. If it's all right with the admins, I'd like to take a shot at transferring all the threads over here. And if they can't be transferred in a traditional sense (like when an off-topic thread gets moved to its proper subforum), I could make new counterparts to those threads and move their contents by way of quotes. Tedious, I'm sure, but I'm willing. Can it be done? I'm here, ready and willing.
Maybe if we got a list together of all the threads it would help?
I think the problem is since the logins are different it would be impossible to post all the posts under the user names?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
Oh, nooooooo - I just tried to go back into the old forum to copy and paste some of the threads I made there, and it looks like they deleted it entirely?

If so, THAT is a major loss, because I put a lot of time and work into that, and I can't remember all that was in there. So I can't even recreate it, if I can't at least look at it! Damn it.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
The page remains. Only the link has been deleted. I'm still available for transfer duty, if there's a mod out there looking.

http://tropicalvegetableforum.com

Maybe if we got a list together of all the threads it would help?
I think the problem is since the logins are different it would be impossible to post all the posts under the user names?

A list? How so?

As a quote transfer, I don't think usernames and profiles matter too much, since it's all text and no links. As a genuine transfer (which would be ideal), then the usernames and profiles would turn to deadlinks, or even linkless text (like when an unregistered guest posts). It's not ideal, but it doesn't sound so bad either. As long as the information is preserved (and some poster identification is retained), I'd say we'd be doing well. It's better than losing the info (or leaving it in another forum).

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
>The page remains. Only the link has been deleted. I'm still available for transfer duty, if there's a mod out there looking.

>http://tropicalvegetableforum.com

Oh, thanks, that's great! What a relief. I hope that continues to be the case so I can go back and search through for things I want to copy and paste over to here.